Car Struggle
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Struggle

Car Struggle

I'm not sure what the title of this post should've been but, I was hoping you guys might have some insight as to what this might be. I've noticed, multiple times/random times, the car struggling to go from a stop. Most of the time, its noticed when letting go of the brake pedal and the car begins to move on its own in the small time before stepping on the accelerator. I'd like to describe it as its chugging for a second or two before it all settles and the car takes off. It doesn't always happen.

I will add this bit of information as well (not knowing if it has any relevance to the above topic but, just in case....)
    When I first put gas in the car, I put "regular unleaded". The car struggled with going a LOT of the time but, not always. There was a very noticeable delay in vehicle response after stepping on the accelerator. If I tried sport mode, the issue was almost negated completely. Well, the next fill up, I put in premium or super unleaded with the 92 octane rating. The change in behavior and take off was almost night and day. It's take-off performance is pretty much normal now except the above mentioned topic.

Anyway, that's what I have going on. I'm considering taking it to a dealer for potential warranty issue. He "warned" me about my new wheels/tires as not being factory spec. I went from 16" 205/65/16 to 17" 225/50/17. I told him, I only got these wheels/tires the day before and this issue was happening long before that. He said, his techs would mention the wheels but, if they can see the acceleration issue isn't tied to tires/wheels then I should be ok.

I wanted this community's input on what they think it might be. =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    What year make and model do you have?
    BlueSXTurbo's Showroom
    2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSXTurbo View Post
    What year make and model do you have?
    2017 Optima FE/LX

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    How many miles are on your spark plugs?

If you haven't tried before, this is really easy and just takes about 10 minutes: pull one of the spark plugs and look at it. If it looks good, pull the other three and make sure they look good too.

Also make sure the engine air filter is not clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
    How many miles are on your spark plugs?

If you haven't tried before, this is really easy and just takes about 10 minutes: pull one of the spark plugs and look at it. If it looks good, pull the other three and make sure they look good too.

Also make sure the engine air filter is not clogged.
    Well, I only have 12000 miles on the car.

Based out of a Top-Secret bunker in an undisclosed location
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX

Exclamation

Also, when was the last time you had an induction cleaning?

A fuel treatment is not enough, as the fuel injectors are inside the cylinders, so any added fuel treatment will not remove the gunk that will build up on the intake valves.

Once you get them properly cleaned, install a catch can to reduce the frequency you will need to apply that service.

At 12000 Miles if you have not had an induction cleaning, you *NEED* one.
    ZER0

Quote Originally Posted by Unit ZER0 View Post
    Also, when was the last time you had an induction cleaning?

A fuel treatment is not enough, as the fuel injectors are inside the cylinders, so any added fuel treatment will not remove the gunk that will build up on the intake valves.

Once you get them properly cleaned, install a catch can to reduce the frequency you will need to apply that service.

At 12000 Miles if you have not had an induction cleaning, you *NEED* one.
    That’s probably what it is. I’ll be checking into getting that done within the next couple of weeks.

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Dumb question--does the Kia dealership offer induction cleaning services? I ask because (at least) in the 2018 Optima owner's manual there is no mention of induction cleaning as a required or optional maintenance item; to be clear I am NOT arguing against the merits of whether induction cleaning is *needed* but trying to gather information about it in general, especially given that my car currently has >16K miles on the clock--I did install an OCC at the 2K mile mark.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    Quote Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    Dumb question--does the Kia dealership offer induction cleaning services? I ask because (at least) in the 2018 Optima owner's manual there is no mention of induction cleaning as a required or optional maintenance item; to be clear I am NOT arguing against the merits of whether induction cleaning is *needed* but trying to gather information about it in general, especially given that my car currently has >16K miles on the clock--I did install an OCC at the 2K mile mark.
    I'm pretty sure they do... At least, the one I went to did. It stands to reason that any dealer selling GDI engines would also keep the equipment to keep them running in stock, but you would definitely want to call first.

There are two types of cleaning that I've heard of: Walnut media blasting, and chemical cleaning. Walnut media blasting will do a more thorough job, but the chemicals can work fairly quickly.
    ZER0

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    Here's a pretty detailed video explaining things:

ZER0

13. Remove Advertisements