$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

Optima transmission service?
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Optima transmission service?

Year
    Make
    OPTIMA
    Model
    OPTIMA
    Trim
    LE

Optima transmission service?

I have a 2015 Optima LE. I bought it in June 2017 with 12,850 miles. I currently have 36K+ miles on it. I have been getting it serviced by the Dealer. So far it has just been oil change and filter, check fluids, rotate tires add air and such. Price about $60.00 No problem.

On the last oil change, the Dealer recommended a transmission fluid change and filter change was recommended at 30K miles. They want about $240.00 for it. The price is not the problem.

So when I checked in the KIA Manual in regards to change intervals, all I could find on changing the fluid was 'If the car is operated in dusty conditions change the fluid at 60K miles". [B]Am I wrong here.[/B]
    After reading the KIA Manual it got me thinking that the Dealer is just trying to pick up extra $$$ by doing unnecessary services.

I want to maintain the 100K factory warranty, does anybody know what is required?

Thanks in Advance

TerryA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    There is no transmission filter in our cars.
    You should wait until the 60K mark. you are fine as the fluid is designed as a 100K fluid. Dont spend the $$.
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

4. The Following User Says Kudos to JasonS For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    Price is about right. Had that service done by our dealer last month Our 2011 with 54k on it was in for the airbag sensor recall, so we had it done then as our dealer is 70 miles away. Planned to do it at 60k anyway due to mainly short trips/local driving by the missus.
    Phil C.
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    White Pearl/Beige Interior

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    When you ask if you are wrong, what is your position that you think might be wrong? Are you asking if you are wrong for agreeing with the transmission service? Or are you asking if you are wrong to refuse the service?

I think it would be unusual to fall into the "operated in dusty conditions" unless you live on a farm and drive on dirt roads all the time. If you drive on paved roads, I would assume you are in the non-dusty conditions.

But the dealership doesn't know where you drive, so there is a good reason to take the safest care of the customer and assume they drive in dirt and wash the car with dust all the time.

Normally I'd say there is no risk to allowing them to perform the service early, but based on other posts, I think there is a risk that they might underfill or overfill, forget to tighten or over tighten the drain plug, lose various cosmetic parts, or overall mishandle your car. Not 100% guaranteed, but there is the risk that your car will be in a better condition for keeping it away from any unecessary service, because mistakes happen.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Just a way for the dealership to make more money. Stick with the factory maintenance schedule.
    Not too much they can screw up, drain, fill, get trans to temp, check level good to go.

9. The Following User Says Kudos to Turbonut For This Useful Post:

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX w/Premium Technology pkg
    I just had it done for the first time at 75,000.

11. The Following User Says Kudos to Dubbayoo For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2018 kia optima LX
    many times less servicing + lifetime fluids are just a selling point + depending what kia will actually repair under the long drivetrain warranty. i would like to what 6 spd automatic kia uses as many manufactures use the same. girlfriends traded 13 malibu LS had a filter but getting at it is another thing. i did a drain + fill at 50 thou, + you get close to half the fluid like that + its relatively easy at home DIY. 5 qts of spec fluid under $50!! not everyone can or wants to DIY stuff but it saves big $$$, but of course depending on the task you need to spend money for tools that last a lifetime + of course a garage is better in crappy weather but i did lots of stuff without one in my younger + poorer days but added equipment thru the years to make things easier + most of all i like DIY!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements