$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

[ALL] : 2 piston brake upgrade
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 piston brake upgrade

01/2015 ROTM
    05/2015 ROTM
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2013 SXL
    Trim
    "Modified"

2 piston brake upgrade

I found this thread on another forum and wanted to share it here BBK: Brake upgrade Thread. Its basically a pretty easy and relatively cheap way to upgrade the front brakes to a 2-piston set up with the factory 12.6" rotors on the turbo Optimas.
    I already had the drilled and slotted rotors from Brake performance .com but saw this and thought I would give it a go !
    It seems the 2-pot calipers from a 2004-5 Hyundai XG350 are a direct fit to our cars, I bought the calipers from Rock Auto and plan on installing these in the very near future.
    I noticed that Concept III were advertising a BBK (2 piston) from Racing cube for $900 and it looks to me like these are the exact calipers they are using on that kit.

I am assuming the kit also includes the rotors.
    I got my calipers for around $90 a piece (which includes a core charge) and the rotors are about $180 a set IIRC. Have to get some pads yet, but looking at around $50 for them.
    So, this is what those calipers look like out of the box

As you can see the castings are a little "rough"...so, being the OCD type...I got to "cleaning" them up ! after a little treatment with a flapdisc and some grinding... followed by some painting ,decals and 2K clear coat..they now look like this.....I actually applied the clear coat over the decals so they should have no trouble peeling off or getting the edges caught while cleaning.

I just hope they do actually fit after all this work !!.......I'll let you all know how this works out and the difference in performance once I get them installed.
    Could be an affordable alternative to the other BB kits that are out there for those who don't want to spend $1000.00 + to improve braking performance. (although, I got to say ,those BBK's do look darn good )
    I could have gone for a BBK in the front ,but my SXL has the electronic rear park brake ,so I'm not able to match up a BBK in the back.
    Like this, it still looks factory but hopefully will perform better !!...and I should have the same kit as the $900 Racing cube version.
    Will update after installation with pics and performance review.
    Last edited by Julio Kia; 05-31-2015 at 09:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    K5
    Trim
    SX
    Look forward to hearing your feedback on these, nice job with the decals.

OptimaForums Veteran Triple-K.Hybrid's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima HYBRID
    Trim
    Personalized ^_^V
    Thats clean

Visit My 2012 BAGGED HYBRID's Showroom
    Check out my UNDERNEATH Lights VIDEO here https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/49...owroom-36.html
    Rear Seat Removal DIY https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/49...owroom-32.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXT Limited
    Looks great, will be waiting on your review.
    USAF Retired 1985-2005

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Once again, great work Julian!

Riding Lawn Mower
    Nice job!!!

01/2015 ROTM
    05/2015 ROTM
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2013 SXL
    Trim
    "Modified"
    Quote Originally Posted by K5 Optima Store View Post
    Once again, great work Julian!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014OPTIMAPRIME View Post
    Nice job!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irongoats View Post
    Looks great, will be waiting on your review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple-K.Hybrid View Post
    Thats clean
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIO13 View Post
    Look forward to hearing your feedback on these, nice job with the decals.
    Thanks guys, now ordered my pads...Amazon.com: Akebono ACT955 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive Should have them Thursday so looking like a weekend project !

10. The Following User Says Kudos to Julio Kia For This Useful Post:

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    That's sweet! Mine are about to ship to your house right now! LOL
    Thought you already had drilled rotors and red painted calipers? You just change those up?
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

01/2015 ROTM
    05/2015 ROTM
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2013 SXL
    Trim
    "Modified"
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
    That's sweet! Mine are about to ship to your house right now! LOL
    Thought you already had drilled rotors and red painted calipers? You just change those up?
    I do,I am keeping the rotors but the OEM painted calipers are a single piston, these are a double piston so should be more efficient (I think the brake pad area may also be larger) the guys on the HK forum that have done this say it makes a big difference, although I think they were going from slightly smaller rotors to begin with....I'll be able to let you know after the weekend !

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio Kia View Post
    I found this thread on another forum and wanted to share it here BBK: Brake upgrade Thread. Its basically a pretty easy and relatively cheap way to upgrade the front brakes to a 2-piston set up with the factory 12.6" rotors on the turbo Optimas.
    I already had the drilled and slotted rotors from Brake performance .com but saw this and thought I would give it a go !
    It seems the 2-pot calipers from a 2004-5 Hyundai XG350 are a direct fit to our cars, I bought the calipers from Rock Auto and plan on installing these in the very near future.
    I noticed that Concept III were advertising a BBK (2 piston) from Racing cube for $900 and it looks to me like these are the exact calipers they are using on that kit.

I am assuming the kit also includes the rotors.
    I got my calipers for around $90 a piece (which includes a core charge) and the rotors are about $180 a set IIRC. Have to get some pads yet, but looking at around $50 for them.
    So, this is what those calipers look like out of the box

As you can see the castings are a little "rough"...so, being the OCD type...I got to "cleaning" them up ! after a little treatment with a flapdisc and some grinding... followed by some painting ,decals and 2K clear coat..they now look like this.....I actually applied the clear coat over the decals so they should have no trouble peeling off or getting the edges caught while cleaning.

I just hope they do actually fit after all this work !!.......I'll let you all know how this works out and the difference in performance once I get them installed.
    Could be an affordable alternative to the other BB kits that are out there for those who don't want to spend $1000.00 + to improve braking performance. (although, I got to say ,those BBK's do look darn good )
    I could have gone for a BBK in the front ,but my SXL has the electronic rear park brake ,so I'm not able to match up a BBK in the back.
    Like this, it still looks factory but hopefully will perform better !!...and I should have the same kit as the $900 Racing cube version.
    Will update after installation with pics and performance review.
    Very interesting.

The information that i found on the 2004 XG350 stated that the front rotors were 12.1in in diameter, so i am wondering how the calipers would fit the 12.6 rotors on our cars.

I hope they work, because I am very interested in upgrading to the dual piston calipers if they fit our 12.6in rotors and if the Optima brake booster are up to job of pushing the dual pistons.

FYI, the BBK calipers look similar to the XG350 calipers, but the faces of the two calipers are a bit different if you look closely in the photos so BBK maybe using dual pistons calipers from another Hyundai car model.

Never mind I read the whole thread in the link and it seems to fit and work on our cars according to the OP.
    Last edited by carguy75; 06-02-2015 at 09:37 PM.
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440
    UR strut tower bar