Question about snow chains/cables for Optima 2013
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about snow chains/cables for Optima 2013

Riding Lawn Mower

Question about snow chains/cables for Optima 2013

Hey Kia Forums!

I have a question for you guys. I'm going to the mountains next week and it's going to be snowing so i will need to pick up some snow chains/cables. My question is i've never purchased chains/cables for tires before and when i bought my optima the dealer told me that normal chains won't work. If I use normal chains I could damage the car or tires. With that any suggestions you guys can offer me? I'm looking for something affordable as I won't be using them much if at all. My car is a 2013 Kia Optima EX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

If you're driving a family sedan on mandatory chain roads, planned not emergency route, you're doing something wrong

best bet tho is it's not mandatory so don't worry about it, get decent all season tires or dedicated winter tires. I've never used chains, Colorado, Utah, pa, wv, etc...

Riding Lawn Mower
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but i'm planning on driving a family sedan up to the mountains for a vacation. It's my only car so I don't have the luxury of getting an AWD/4WD car, nor the extra spare cash to get a set of winter tires.

It will be snowing when I go up and so they are going to require that I have chains to go up to the place i'll be staying at. Not to mention i'm from Southern California where having winter tires is completely unnecessary expense.

The Official Website of Mammoth Lakes CA | Vacation Guide | Things to Do, Hotels
    Vehicles traveling in the eastern Sierra during winter months are advised to carry chains at all times. You must stop and put on chains when highway signs indicate chains are required. Drivers failing to observe the chain controls will be required to stop their vehicles and chain up or you can be cited by the California Highway Patrol and fined if you don't. If you do not have your chains with you, you will not be able to continue your trip. When you're installing your chains, pull well off the roadway onto the shoulder of the road. Do not stop in the traffic lanes to install or adjust your chains. You can also use the services of a chain installer. Chain installers are NOT allowed to sell or rent chains.

OptimaForums Veteran
    You are looking for cable chains. Google works: P215-55R-17 Tire Chains
    2013 SWP EX with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    225/40-19 Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires.

Gone - 2011 SWP EX with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and

Model
    2011 SX
    I've only had to use chains once in the past, but be prepared for them to possibly scratch the heck out of your wheels.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Properly sized and installed chains shouldn't do any damage. Especially on the EX wheels. There is a good amount of tire to work with. It's always best to stop and retighten chains after a short amount of driving.
    2013 SWP EX with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and

Gone - 2011 SWP EX with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and

8. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements