Snow tire/wheel discussion
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow tire/wheel discussion

Certified Auto Tech

Snow tire/wheel discussion

I know it's only august, and way too early to be thinking about this, but I'm somewhat at an impasse.

I have dunlop ds-2 tires in 215/60/16 left over from the old car. They're about 2 years old, and maybe have 3-4K miles on them.

Is there really any reason to even consider a 17" wheel for snow tires?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Driver's License
    Which model Optima do you have? If the SX, then you can't fit 16" wheels over the front brakes.

I've used 225/45-17 winter tires, and will get 235/45-18's for my SX this fall. BUT - I live in the Pacific NW, where snow depth isn't usually the problem (that taller,skinnier snow tires solve very well).

The 215/60-16 tires snow tires you have look like an excellent winter alternate for the 215/55-17's that (I believe) are the stock size on EX models, which should accept a 16" wheel.

Certified Auto Tech
    Dfrost, thank you for bring this up. I knew the sx had larger front rotors, but didn't realize there would be clearance issues!@# Do you have a source for this information? Tirerack's online system seems to indicate 16" wheels will work.

I think using stock or wider tires for snow tires defeats the whole purposes, where a narrower tire is better suited to cut through the snow ---- and lots of that we get here in chicago, 4'+ last year from what I recall.
    Last edited by jsolo_sx2011; 08-09-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Lube Tech
    I tried to bring this up before and people thought I was insane for wanting to buy smaller rims for winter...

I'm going to try and get a set of stock 17's to use with my winter setup, or if you guys find good deals, please share!

For anyone with Stock 18s, you will need to stick with 17's or above to clear the brakes.

Thanks for the info Furious...
    2012 Genesis R-Spec sedan
    2011 Civic EX
    2012 Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Autography - 40 Cars in 32 years of driving. http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779744

Year
    Make
    K5
    Model
    K5
    Trim
    EX
    Planing on throwing 19 or 20's on my EX. From whats being said I'm thinking I should I wait after winter. However, these NEX slip all the time I dont even wanna think about what they'll do in the snow and I dont want to buy new tires for the stock rims to then get new tires again for the new wheels. Should I go for it and get better tires with 19 or 20's before Winter?
    2011 Spicy Red EX - Loaded

Certified Auto Tech
    Made some phone calls today. Tirerack is still claiming it will fit, and will even eat the shipping both ways if it doesn't.

However, I'm starting to think dfrost is right. There is plenty of room on the rotor side - more than 1" distance between the rotor and the stock wheel. However at the caliper, I think it's either exactly 1" or maybe 15/16". Either way, I think at least 1/4" gap would be a minimal distance required. Unless the new wheels have some sort of recess in this area, 16" is not likely to fit.

Lube Tech
    you cant just measure the distance. the shape/design of the winter wheel as well as the offset will be the deciding factor. Some 16s/17s may fit depending on design, others will not... if someone wants to try, please do!!

The only way you know for sure, will be to buy 17" Stockies and throw some winter rubber on there.... better safe then sorry

Lube Tech
    So... Jsolo tried it out, and of course the 16s from TireRack dont fit.

SX 17" steelers for winter - Kia Forum

i'll let Jsolo elaborate.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements