Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts?
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

    Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts?

  1. #1
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    63
    Year
    2014
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T

    Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts?

    I desperately need new tires for my car as the rear two tires are terribly worn (see: previous owner and underinflation LOL).

    I want something with the following characteristics, in order of importance:

    - Decent treadlife (at least 40,000mi/60,000km)
    - Responsive handling
    - Good dry traction
    - Good wet traction
    - Low noise
    - half decent snow/ice traction (I have dedicated winter tires on other wheels - I'd just need these on the occasional time I get caught with an early or late snowstorm here in Ottawa, ON)

    I believe the categories I'm leaning towards are:
    - Grand Touring All Season (but a great one from this category in the handling/traction department)
    - Ultra-high performance All Season

    I am looking at the following two tires closely:
    1. Cooper RS3-A
    2. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

    Others I've been told to consider:
    3. Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
    4. BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp2


    What would you recommend of these (or others) which meets my criteria? Does anyone here have experience with the Cooper RS3-A or the Pirelli on their Optima? For what its worth, I have the Cooper CS5 tire on my wife's Honda Odyssey and they are fantastic tires.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    OptimaForums Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,055
    Year
    2012
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Curls View Post
    I desperately need new tires for my car as the rear two tires are terribly worn (see: previous owner and underinflation LOL).

    I want something with the following characteristics, in order of importance:

    - Decent treadlife (at least 40,000mi/60,000km)
    - Responsive handling
    - Good dry traction
    - Good wet traction
    - Low noise
    - half decent snow/ice traction (I have dedicated winter tires on other wheels - I'd just need these on the occasional time I get caught with an early or late snowstorm here in Ottawa, ON)

    I believe the categories I'm leaning towards are:
    - Grand Touring All Season (but a great one from this category in the handling/traction department)
    - Ultra-high performance All Season

    I am looking at the following two tires closely:
    1. Cooper RS3-A
    2. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

    Others I've been told to consider:
    3. Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
    4. BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp2


    What would you recommend of these (or others) which meets my criteria? Does anyone here have experience with the Cooper RS3-A or the Pirelli on their Optima? For what its worth, I have the Cooper CS5 tire on my wife's Honda Odyssey and they are fantastic tires.
    FWIW: I've heard very good things about the Pirelli P7s in general and I run Continental PureContact tires (very good Tire Rack reviews, 70K treadlife) on both my Optima and my Volvo S80 with good results. My local FireStone store price/deal matches whatever Tire Rack can do and is a Tire Rack certified installer. I run the OEM size 225/45R18 on my lowered car (via TruHart suspension and Eibach springs) and love the ride.

    If I were to purchase tires again soon, at this point I think I would give the P7s a shot if the price was right.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 58K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost tune, Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, 3/8" Magnefine Trans filter, PIAA Sports Horns, Fumoto Qwik-Valve, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), HKS M40XL Plugs, OEM fender "Turbo" badges, Ultra Racing FSTB, Nameless MM/MP/CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Eibach Pro-Kit w/TruHart, Advanti Kudos rims

  4. #3
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    33
    I just tried the Pirellis myself. I previously had the continentals and they lasted maybe 40k miles. The Pirellis seem solid so far...maybe a bit quieter than the continentals. Can't speak to the handling in snow conditions, but overall I've been satisfied so far. I was able to stack a rebate promo along with the last tire rack sale, which is why I decided to switch. If I remember correctly, they are also a pound or two lighter than the continentals.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Kudos to Croat23 For This Useful Post:


  6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    Learner's Permit
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    266
    Year
    2012
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2012 KIA optima sx turbocharged
    Trim
    Sx
    I would definitely give the pirelli p7 grand touring tires a try. I currently have a set of them on my 2012 Optima sx. Unbelievable the difference in ride. It's much much quieter than bed. Handling is so much better. I live in Wisconsin and had these tires put on in February last year and I was concerned about the traction in the snow and ice. But to my amazement they handled just fine. I mean there not blizzak tires but for an all season tire they are absolutely great. Now that said I had the nexon or however you spell that name tire on my car previously. They got all cupped and made my entire car lose its luster. Lol. So I really only have the crappy old tires I had to compare ride to.

  8. The Following User Says Kudos to Well fed family car For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    63
    Year
    2014
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Well fed family car View Post
    I would definitely give the pirelli p7 grand touring tires a try. I currently have a set of them on my 2012 Optima sx. Unbelievable the difference in ride. It's much much quieter than bed. Handling is so much better. I live in Wisconsin and had these tires put on in February last year and I was concerned about the traction in the snow and ice. But to my amazement they handled just fine. I mean there not blizzak tires but for an all season tire they are absolutely great. Now that said I had the nexon or however you spell that name tire on my car previously. They got all cupped and made my entire car lose its luster. Lol. So I really only have the crappy old tires I had to compare ride to.
    I believe you're talking about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus... which is their top grand touring class tire? That's what I'm ordering (98% sure). How is their dry handling in your opinion? What about heavy rain?
    I don't typically see much snow with my 'summers' as I tend to change to winter tires a week before the first forecasted snowfall, and wait until early April to put the summers back on.

    My previous car (2004 Acura TSX) seemed to like General Tires but I found they wore out too quick. Mind you I was looking at UHP all season (the AS-3, and before that, the Exclaim UHP)... not a Grand Touring. The Altimax RT43 looks OK but the Pirelli is rated #1 in grand touring on Tirerack w/ over 5 million miles on the reviews.

  10. #6
    Learner's Permit
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    266
    Year
    2012
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2012 KIA optima sx turbocharged
    Trim
    Sx
    The dry handling is exceptional in my opinion. Corners I previously used to have to brake hard for I barley have to brake. Wet traction is great as well. Big puddles yes a little hydroplane action.

  11. #7
    Learner's Permit
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    266
    Year
    2012
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2012 KIA optima sx turbocharged
    Trim
    Sx
    Picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts?-img_20160902_135626996_hdr_1472852732373.jpg  

  12. #8
    OptimaForums Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,107
    Year
    2014
    Model
    Optima-Black
    Trim
    SX-T Prem/Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by williamhood View Post
    FWIW: I've heard very good things about the Pirelli P7s in general and I run Continental PureContact tires (very good Tire Rack reviews, 70K treadlife) on both my Optima and my Volvo S80 with good results. My local FireStone store price/deal matches whatever Tire Rack can do and is a Tire Rack certified installer. I run the OEM size 225/45R18 on my lowered car (via TruHart suspension and Eibach springs) and love the ride.

    If I were to purchase tires again soon, at this point I think I would give the P7s a shot if the price was right.
    I'm in the exact scenario as you. The Pure Contacts are a nice tire but I'm going to check out the P7 next time around. Firestone told they would do the same price match too but tirerack includes a 2 year road hazard warranty which was honored when I recently had a nail next to tge sidewall.

    Going to have to keep my eye out for the tire rack and Pirelli sale to stack them for a real deal too.

  13. #9
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    63
    Year
    2014
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T
    Tires are being put on this afternoon. Sorry - was away from internet for 2 days so I hadn't followed this thread in a bit.
    @Well fed family car -- it looks like those tires have rim-guards. Is that right? The pics on tirerack didn't seem to indicate that. If they have them, even better!

  14. #10
    Learner's Permit
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    266
    Year
    2012
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2012 KIA optima sx turbocharged
    Trim
    Sx
    I honestly don't know if they have these what you call rim guards? Lol never heard of that before. Wow where have I been
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts?-img_20160828_161249535_hdr_1473347257572.jpg  

  15. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Those with Pirelli P7 plus
    By OptimaPea in forum Optima Wheels, Tires and Suspension
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-02-2016, 03:23 PM
  2. Photos of Pirelli P7 AS on SX or SXL
    By Brian_C6 in forum Optima Wheels, Tires and Suspension
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2015, 08:06 PM
  3. Optima Hybrid - 20" with PIRELLI PZERO
    By lozispe in forum Optima Pictures and Videos
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM
  4. Kia Wraps Up First Season of Pirelli World Challenge on High Note
    By My13OptimaSXL in forum Optima General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 12:10 PM
  5. Kia Racing Pirelli World Challenge Race Today!
    By amandanator in forum Optima General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2