Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts? - Page 5
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts?

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Tire Rack tests are good. Most Tire Rack REVIEWS are terrible! Most people say how great their tires perform after using them for maybe a 500-1000 miles. Of course your new tires are going to be way better than the clapped out tires that you drove on for 20k+ miles with a bad alignment. Duh!
    2015 SWP/Black EX Premium with 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    255/40R19 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
    Gone at 92k - 2013 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    235/40-19 Michelin Primacy MXM4.
    Gone at 68k - 2011 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    225/40-19 Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    I look for folks with the longest time with the tires. Another thing I tend to do is to drop by a BMW/Audi/Volvo lot and see what tires they have installed on their cars then see what TR tests say. This is how I found out about the Pirelli P7 AS+ tires, lots of folks with the X3 were posting on how they liked them and their snow experience so I bought them.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynerm002 View Post
    The Pirelli P7 AS+ are one of the most quiet and comfortable tires around, the regular P7 is another animal altogether. I have them on the Volvo S60 T5 R-Design in 19", now the suspension n the S60 is stiffer and the P7 is grippier than the AS+ version and it ok for that car but I may switch it to AS+ later as I don't drive it that hard all the time. In addition the road noise is higher with those tires that I believe they could benefit from the AS+ version. I had the Toyo Proxes 4Plus on the S80 and they were hard when the temps got cold and better as it got warmer, handling was also pretty good but deep snow was an issue for them even with the AWD, when the P7 AS+ was doing well on the Optima.

I was checking out the Toyos you listed, seems like the Dry traction is their weak spot, how are they doing on the V60? Have you driven them hard to get a feel for them in the dry? I tend to be a spirited driver and this new car is better balanced and have power to drive like a normal car that I have not been driving it like a hybrid. It's just great to have a car that drives well even though it's a hybrid.
    I haven't pushed them. They are a AS Grand Touring so they won't be "that" great for spirited driving.

I didn't think my Toyo AS Proxes 4 Plus were all that great for spirited driving either. No of them will compare to a summer tire. I LOVED my ExtremeContact DW for spirited driving and they were reasonably mannered for a summer tire. No much worse than the AS Proxes. And I thought RE970s I used this summer gripped really well for an AS tire, but it was a 255/40 compared to the 225/40 sizes I use with the others. (My Primacy tires are 235/40)
    Gone at 92k - 2013 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    Gone at 68k - 2011 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Tire Rack tests are good. Most Tire Rack REVIEWS are terrible! Most people say how great their tires perform after using them for maybe a 500-1000 miles. Of course your new tires are going to be way better than the clapped out tires that you drove on for 20k+ miles with a bad alignment. Duh!
    LOL. Good point.

How long will the tires maintain good traction?

Michelin tires are known to maintain traction almost until they are bald due to how the tires are designed, which is a feature highlighted by Michelin in their marketing.

Tire rack test do not test how a tire perform as when have 20k miles on them.

The General RT43 tire beat the Pirelli P7 in a comparison test and the P7 go a bad wet weather traction review.

Nuff said, the P7 tire is overpriced crap if it gets beat by a lower priced no name tire brand in a comparison.

I doubt the P7 wet traction will improve with 20k miles and bad alignment either.

Hell, I like Michelin tires but if a different brand performs better cheaper then I will not pay extra just for the established name.

This review/test is as close to a fact you will get about a group of different tire performance.

Everything else is just people saying what they personally feel about a tire.

Tire Test Results : The Sporty Side of Comfort: Testing the Newest Grand Touring All-Season Tires

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

I look for folks with the longest time with the tires. Another thing I tend to do is to drop by a BMW/Audi/Volvo lot and see what tires they have installed on their cars then see what TR tests say. This is how I found out about the Pirelli P7 AS+ tires, lots of folks with the X3 were posting on how they liked them and their snow experience so I bought them.
    To be fair, many decent aftermarket AS tires will performance better than many OEM AS tires.

Unless, the car come with Michelin OEM AS tires.

I have seen positive review for BF Goodrich,Pirelli, and hell even Kuhmo in the Mercedes forums.

It is all subjective until you use the tires yourself.

Plus, the tires used on other cars could be wider or narrower, which may affect how the tire will work on your specify car in the same conditions.

Not to mention drive-train differences like AWD or RWD compared to a FWD.

I like Tire Rack test because they use one car, one tire size and then compare the differences.

It is not a perfect test of a tire, but it has more cred than someone personally opinion in my opinion.
    Last edited by carguy75; 01-11-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: info
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    Back in my younger years, I had to buy some replacement tires for a used (Ford Taurus wagon) car I purchased that had 4 different tires on it, I bought some Michelins and the grip was so great on those tires my friend thought I was crazy for how I was driving that wagon. The tires really transformed the car! I have had almost every top brand on my vehicles over the years and after the Primacy on the Audi, I went with Kumho and while it handled well in wet and dry conditions (extremely well, plus quiet), it had soft sidewalls and would not hold hard corners well (sort of like most Kumhos I have had experience with to date). The best I have used have been BF Goodrich (summer- BMW), Continental (summer- VW, winter- Audi), Kumho (AS- Audi), Pirelli (AS- KIA), Michelin (AS/Winter - BMW) and Nokian (winter- VW). Let me qualify that line by adding that at the time, the vehicle that they were being used on and the intended purpose, those were the ones that offered me the type of performance I was looking for.

Back then, If I got a set and they sucked, I would ditch them fast. If they came on the car and sucked, they were gone in the first week. This hybrid thing and GT tires are a bit new to me but I was really impressed with the P7 AS+ on how they made the 2012 and 2014 hybrids quieter and ride/handle better (plus they did increase my mileage a bit). I'm really happy with how the 2017 drives and handles, the tires so far are decent but know how it feels, it's not going to be getting the hybrid treatment all the time. As such, I may be going back in the realm of UHP AS, maybe, I do like the more comfortable and quiet ride the GT tires provide along with better snow traction.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Mazda
    Model
    Trim
    Touring
    I replaced the OE tires on my 2015 Soul with Pirelli P7s. DESPITE my misgivings regarding their wet performance, as Tire Rack tests indicate. The only other people who do extensive track testing of tires AFAIK is CR, they give a medium "wet braking" score but they don't score handling in the wet.

Do it over again, I would use another tire. If I nail it on dry pavement I can often get a tire chirp with the Pirellis. That doesn't happen with my winter tires, Blizzak WS80s. They don't give up a patch.

That said, the P7s have been quite satisfactory. They ride quieter and smoother than the stock Korean tires, I don't push the car to 10/10ths so the Pirellis are fine in everyday duty. My one misgiving is emergency braking or maneuvering in the wet. That hasn't happened yet so we're OK.

But I will never again violate my #1 rule, which is wet performance is the #1 priority for the tires that go on my car.

I'd certainly consider the BFG Comp-2 A/S. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Conti PureContact and Nokian WRG3 are others I'd look at.

I had Conti DWS on my GP GXP a few years ago and was not especially impressed with them.

I replaced the stock Kuhmos on my 2013 Soul with Michelin Defenders and the difference was day and night. It drove and rode like a different car. As in vastly improved.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

But I will never again violate my #1 rule, which is wet performance is the #1 priority for the tires that go on my car.
    Then you should eliminate all season tires. All seasons are jack of all trades but masters of none. Any summer tire will blow the best All Season tires out of the water (no pun intended) in when it comes to wet/dry traction. Just like any snow tire will out perform them in the winter.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I had Conti DWS on my GP GXP a few years ago and was not especially impressed with them.
    I had set of those and sent them back within 30 days. Replaced them with the DW summer tire and loved them.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    Costco is running a sale on Michelins and I'm tempted to get a set but the stock tires have been good so far so I'm holding out a bit longer to experience some other type of weather.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Back in my younger years, I had to buy some replacement tires for a used (Ford Taurus wagon) car I purchased that had 4 different tires on it, I bought some Michelins and the grip was so great on those tires my friend thought I was crazy for how I was driving that wagon. The tires really transformed the car! I have had almost every top brand on my vehicles over the years and after the Primacy on the Audi, I went with Kumho and while it handled well in wet and dry conditions (extremely well, plus quiet), it had soft sidewalls and would not hold hard corners well (sort of like most Kumhos I have had experience with to date). The best I have used have been BF Goodrich (summer- BMW), Continental (summer- VW, winter- Audi), Kumho (AS- Audi), Pirelli (AS- KIA), Michelin (AS/Winter - BMW) and Nokian (winter- VW). Let me qualify that line by adding that at the time, the vehicle that they were being used on and the intended purpose, those were the ones that offered me the type of performance I was looking for.

Back then, If I got a set and they sucked, I would ditch them fast. If they came on the car and sucked, they were gone in the first week. This hybrid thing and GT tires are a bit new to me but I was really impressed with the P7 AS+ on how they made the 2012 and 2014 hybrids quieter and ride/handle better (plus they did increase my mileage a bit). I'm really happy with how the 2017 drives and handles, the tires so far are decent but know how it feels, it's not going to be getting the hybrid treatment all the time. As such, I may be going back in the realm of UHP AS, maybe, I do like the more comfortable and quiet ride the GT tires provide along with better snow traction.
    Well said about the different tires choices and how they ride/handle differently.

Grand touring(GT) tires like the MXM I use make the car feel more like a luxury car with great wet/ice handling and comfort.

However, Ultra High Performance AS tires grips better when dry than GT tires, but at the cost wet/ice traction.

UHP AS basically handles more like a summer tire.

I also get rid of my crappy OEM tires ASAP, hence why I bought the MXM tires for my Optima with only about 10k miles on the stock Hankooks.

I could not stand the weak handle and crappy ride they gave.

I usually buy UHP tires, but decided that I do not really have race car(getting older) and went for a more refined tire and it payed off with MXM tires.

I may try a summer tire from a different brand next time around since I need wet traction more than ice in my area.
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    LOL! Yeah, that age thing certainly play a factor in what I expect from cars and tires these days. I love how the Volvo T5 R-Design rides and handle but the noise level is on par with the 2014 hybrid (with the P7 AS+)I had on some surfaces and I think a lot has to do with the tires (P7 AS), I think going to the AS+ of some other quieter tire would help with that. The fun factor in that car though is really nice, it is small and nimble and the turbo power is well matched to the car. The new hybrid is fun too just doesn't respond as quickly with transmission shits. Still learning it though.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast