Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts? - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -- thoughts?

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by bad habit View Post
    Just ordered a set of 4 from TireBuyer 225/45R18 Extra Load 95/W
    Used code "RMN8" and got 8% off, free shipping. Plus there is a $60 rebate.
    So total after everything (minus install costs) comes to $458.

Looking forward to a quieter ride, very tired of the noise from the stock tires
    Had the Komhos installed yesterday. Definitely noticed a difference in noise levels, the ride is much quieter now.
    Going thorough bumps and potholes also feels better and somehow more rubbery, if that makes sense.
    Yet to see how these will perform in rain (had no hydroplaning with the stock Hankooks btw) and snow.
    Cornering and general stability feel the same so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia Optima
    Model
    2015 Kia Optima
    Trim
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by bad habit View Post
    Just ordered a set of 4 from TireBuyer 225/45R18 Extra Load 95/W
    Used code "RMN8" and got 8% off, free shipping. Plus there is a $60 rebate.
    So total after everything (minus install costs) comes to $458.

Looking forward to a quieter ride, very tired of the noise from the stock tires

Had the Pirelli tires on my Car that I got from Discount time.
    They are good tires.
    Went back and talked to them and got some Contiental Control Track Touring tires.
    Longer warranty and they ride better.

the Contiental was about a 1/2 " taller and about 1" wider.

Hope You like them.
    I had them and went to the contiental control Trac Tour, 90,000 tire.
    I liked the contiental a lot better.

Found out about the Contiental Control Track Touring tires on this Forum too.

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid

Opinions on Michelin Premiere AS

Now that we are in the midst of winter, let's hear about your experience with the replacement or OEM tires you have on your ride. My Pirelli P7 AS+ are history as I traded to the 2017 Hybrid and it comes with the Kumho Solus TA31. My experience so far has been good with them, they have a comfortable ride, are relatively quiet but I think that could be due to the increased insulation in the car as I tend to her them on some surfaces. Handling has been pretty good as well, had some rain and they drove well, we had a bit of snow, a dusting really, so I can't comment on real snow usage yet. One thing I did notice is that they had a bit of vibration one morning when it was really cold when I first started driving, I'll chalk that up to flat spotting.

I have pushed them in some corners and they did well. I have to give more props to the car as the suspension setup is much better and the car has minimal lean and roll compared to the earlier Optimas which makes the car push less in hard corners as the handling balance is quite good. The tires don't have a sporty feel, they are more on the comfort and isolation side, I like to feel the road a bit to know what's going on. I've driving over ruts in the road and while I know it was a rut, it didn't upset the car any as I normally would get in the older Optima Hybrid. Most TR reviewers have not been kind to this tire so I am researching options for later when I need to replace them. The Pirelli's were great tires and while they didn't have the best wet grip, they were more than enough for how I drove that car.

This 2017 hybrid is so well done with its more powerful powertrain that even in ECO mode (which now feels like normal in the old car) up to 60 mph the car is a hoot to drive. That said, I was looking at maybe trying out the Michelin Premier AS tires. In TR test, it was one of the tops in wet and dry while having winter traction close to the Pirelli however, didn't beat it for the noise and ride comfort. I'm open to other tires as well but that Pirelli really impressed me and is my 1st choice at present but want to hear about others now that winter has set in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T
    +1 for Kumho tires. I got a full set of Kumho Solus TA71s and they are fantastic. Best tires I've ever had on any car, period.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    I've thought about those as well based on what I have seen of the thread pattern they look similar to the Pirelli P7 AS+ and the info on Kumho's site lists them as a great performing tire however, their snow traction seems to be lacking, the thing that I really liked about the Pirelli in addition to the ride comfort and quietness. Oh and the increase in fuel economy, forgot to mention that.
    Last edited by Waynerm002; 01-10-2017 at 09:50 AM.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Had the TA31 on my 2013 and used them for a couple of longer trips, once to VT for a late season ski trip (didn't want to listen to my whooped out snow tires for 10 hours). I thought they worked well overall. Very quiet and comfortable tire without being overly soft. Pretty close to the Michelin Primacy I've used on several cars. Not the best in the snow (neither is the Michelin) but not the worst. I'm a snow tire guy anyway. I like Kumho (and Toyo) tires a lot. They have some good quality tires if at a good price.
    2015 SWP/Black EX Premium with 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    255/40R19 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
    Gone at 92k - 2013 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    235/40-19 Michelin Primacy MXM4.
    Gone at 68k - 2011 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    225/40-19 Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Had the TA31 on my 2013 and used them for a couple of longer trips, once to VT for a late season ski trip (didn't want to listen to my whooped out snow tires for 10 hours). I thought they worked well overall. Very quiet and comfortable tire without being overly soft. Pretty close to the Michelin Primacy I've used on several cars. Not the best in the snow (neither is the Michelin) but not the worst. I'm a snow tire guy anyway. I like Kumho (and Toyo) tires a lot. They have some good quality tires if at a good price.
    I live in Georgia so i would never really need a dedicated snow tire most likely so an good AS tire like the Michelin MXM does fine in my area with what little ice/snow we get.

However, if I live in an area that gets more than 4 inches of snow yearly then I would just buy snow tires like you have for all my vehicles even my AWD Escalade.

Having AWD means nothing if all four tires is spinning.

So AWD cars/truck need tires with good traction as well.

So far the Michelin Primacy tires have been great in my area year round, however I do not get much ice in my area so I really can not say that i recommend them to someone that does drives on icy roads for an extended time.

The Michelin MXM tires are pricey but it makes my car drives and handle so well that I will just buy another set next time around.

I may try the Pirelli P7 plus tires if I decide to save some money, but as it stands I do not want my car to handle worst than it does now just to save some money or risk it since i will be stuck with the P7 if the ride is worst
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Put these on my wife's V60: https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...l-season-tires

I'd rank them up there with MXM. A bit stiffer and quieter than the MXM. I think the MXM are slightly more comfortable.
    2015 SWP/Black EX Premium with 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    255/40R19 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
    Gone at 92k - 2013 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    235/40-19 Michelin Primacy MXM4.
    Gone at 68k - 2011 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    225/40-19 Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    The Pirelli P7 AS+ are one of the most quiet and comfortable tires around, the regular P7 is another animal altogether. I have them on the Volvo S60 T5 R-Design in 19", now the suspension n the S60 is stiffer and the P7 is grippier than the AS+ version and it ok for that car but I may switch it to AS+ later as I don't drive it that hard all the time. In addition the road noise is higher with those tires that I believe they could benefit from the AS+ version. I had the Toyo Proxes 4Plus on the S80 and they were hard when the temps got cold and better as it got warmer, handling was also pretty good but deep snow was an issue for them even with the AWD, when the P7 AS+ was doing well on the Optima.

I was checking out the Toyos you listed, seems like the Dry traction is their weak spot, how are they doing on the V60? Have you driven them hard to get a feel for them in the dry? I tend to be a spirited driver and this new car is better balanced and have power to drive like a normal car that I have not been driving it like a hybrid. It's just great to have a car that drives well even though it's a hybrid.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynerm002 View Post
    The Pirelli P7 AS+ are one of the most quiet and comfortable tires around, the regular P7 is another animal altogether. I have them on the Volvo S60 T5 R-Design in 19", now the suspension n the S60 is stiffer and the P7 is grippier than the AS+ version and it ok for that car but I may switch it to AS+ later as I don't drive it that hard all the time. In addition the road noise is higher with those tires that I believe they could benefit from the AS+ version. I had the Toyo Proxes 4Plus on the S80 and they were hard when the temps got cold and better as it got warmer, handling was also pretty good but deep snow was an issue for them even with the AWD, when the P7 AS+ was doing well on the Optima.

I was checking out the Toyos you listed, seems like the Dry traction is their weak spot, how are they doing on the V60? Have you driven them hard to get a feel for them in the dry? I tend to be a spirited driver and this new car is better balanced and have power to drive like a normal car that I have not been driving it like a hybrid. It's just great to have a car that drives well even though it's a hybrid.
    Your story about the Proxy tires hardening in the winter reminds me when I used General summer performance tires on my 2005 Mercury Montego AWD(wife old car) and how I thought I was invincible until I nearly slide down a icy hill in 2009 until the AWD kicked in.

I learned that AWD do not make a summer tire into a winter tire.

The General tires did handle really well for 245/40-20 tires overall on the snow covered roads, but the hill was really steep and ice covered so the tires lost grip fast.

Luckily the AWD in this model had a very good Haldex unit like in the Volvo that quickly locked the wheels to regain traction.

The tires actually handled as good as any AS tire on the flat roads.

I do not think that General tires still make these tires, but they handle well and was affordable back when 20in tires were$$$$$.

So General tires may be a good option for someone on a tight budget if the newer tires are as good or better than the tires I had on this car.

---------- Post added 01-11-2017 at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-10-2017 at 03:23 PM ----------

Well all be damn!!!

I have just checked to see how well the General tire brand is doing now and it turns out that General AS tire called Altimax RT43 has performed better than the Pirelli P7+ tire in a 2016 Tire Rack comparison test.

I am surprised.

I did have good results will the older 2007 summer tire that General made, so i guess they are improving their compounds.

I may grab a set of General summer tires for my Optima when the Michelin wear down and use my truck for the icy days that I get in my area.

There are cheap also, only $132 on tire rack for the RT43.

Tire Test Results : The Sporty Side of Comfort: Testing the Newest Grand Touring All-Season Tires
    Last edited by carguy75; 01-11-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: info
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440