Kia Optima Forums banner

proper psi for my 2016 Optima SX

14K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  d1ck0 
#1 ·
I own a new 2016 Optima SX turbo. The placard on the door recommends 34 psi cold for all 4 tires. Is it ok to fill each tire at 35 or 36 psi cold in the morning?

#9 ·
You should be fine as long as you do not add more PSI than the max PSI rating that is on the tire sidewall.

However, adding PSI will change how the tires feel/behave on the road.

Usually adding a couple PSI will make the tires firmer(harsher ride), and maybe even better MPG since the tires has lower drag due to less traction so there are some trade-offs.

#10 ·
Thank-you

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

I'm sensing an attitude from you, and not exactly sure why. I tried in good faith to answer your question by stating "your tires won't blow up". I then asked a question. Isn't that what these forums are for...sharing ideas and advice amonsgt fellow owners? And to my comment of "I'm in the northern hemisphere", there are people on this form from all parts of the globe so for all I know, you were in Australia or Chile! ��
No attitude problem, "your tires won't blow up" sounded like a attitude problem to me. Just answer the question if you can, will 35 or 36 PSI be ok, YES or NO.
P.S. It can get cold in parts of Australia and Chile.

#13 ·
I too agree that 1 to 2 pounds won't adversely affect your handling, especially in the dead of winter. In fact, you will lose 1 to 2 pounds of pressure for every 10 degrees decrease in ambient temperature from the temperature when you filled the tires. For instance, if you filled your tires in your garage and your garage sits at a comfy 75˚ and it’s 35˚ outside and you head to work, you can expect your tire pressure to go down 4 to 8 pounds while your car sits in the parking lot. But don’t take it from me, take it from Goodyear.

#20 · (Edited)
You'll be OK -- I have a different year and model, but routinely run 1-2PSI over the recommendation. The pressure in the tires decreases especially when seasons change so I keep a little extra air in the tires to compensate for any loss in pressure.

Now if someone is servicing my car and they try to adjust the tire pressure (generally when the tires are warm), I always check my tires after (when they are cold) and find out they set the pressure too high. The guy who I just bought a new tires from set all the tires at 40 PSI (cold) so I had to let a bit of air out of each. (BTW, I replaced my stock Nexen's at 52,000 miles, the tire wear was a little abnormal but found out it was due to a bad alignment).

I bought a calibrated tire pressure gauge with relief valve on Amazon since my car doesn't display a tire pressure reading anywhere. It's awesome and makes it easy to make adjustments if someone puts too much air in your tires (i.e. the dealership).

#21 ·
I found that my Australian Optima wore the front tyres out very quickly (by 15000km service) with 'normal' driving. A friend who also has one found the same. I got my mechanic to look at the issue and he had one of his tyre suppliers look into it. They (Australian distributor for Kumho) spoke to their engineering people (?) and suggested a tyre with a harder compound than the original and to run them at 40psi. I had these on for 45,000km before they needed replacing at the 60,000km service. 3 times the wear of the originals at 34psi.

Now we are told that Kia spent a lot of time tuning the Optima suspension for Australian Conditions so not sure how/if our cars are set up differently to what you get in the US (other than RHD of course), so factor that in if you wish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.