Those with Pirelli P7 plus
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those with Pirelli P7 plus

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Model
    Optima SXL Turbo

Those with Pirelli P7 plus

Was shopping around for P7 plus tires, in 245/45/18 format. All I can find are ones with XL load. Doesn't XL (extra load) mean the side walls are stiffer? meaning a slightly rougher ride as well as a bit more noise? I'm looking for smoother ride and definitely low road noise.

How much is the XL a factor? otherwise I was going to go with Primacy MXM4 which are SL (standard load)
    Last edited by OptimaPea; 02-22-2016 at 06:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

If you are looking into new tires get these:
    ContinentalÂ*ExtremeContact DWS 06

I have the regular dws, the 6 is the newer one. But man, it is smooth riding and I have coilovers, but when i hit a bump then all bet off but not so bad. So compare the two. GL.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimaPea View Post
    Was shopping around for P7 plus tires, in 245/45/18 format. All I can find are ones with XL load. Doesn't XL (extra load) mean the side walls are stiffer? meaning a slightly rougher ride as well as a bit more noise? I'm looking for smoother ride and definitely low road noise.

How much is the XL a factor? otherwise I was going to go with Primacy MXM4 which are SL (standard load)
    2012 Kia Optima SX - Exterior - Road Run Grill - Tinted Windows 35% All Around - MRR HR3 19in Offset 40 - 245-35-19 - Audio: Pioneer 4100NEX - MA-MCX62 - MA-MCX1A - MA-PRX10S4 - MA-16SA450 - Suspension: Megan Street Coilovers -Future Mods: Ultra Racing Front Strut Tower - Osram D1S Bulb -Ark Dts Exhaust System - Cree Foglight Stage 2

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2012 KIA optima sx turbocharged
    Trim
    Sx
    I have the pirelli p7 grand touring tires on my 2012/sx. By far the quietest grippy all season tires I have ever owned. Im Glad I paid the price for these tires.

5. The Following User Says Kudos to Well fed family car For This Useful Post:

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Trim
    Sx
    When talking about tires, XL really means extra load. These tires can use higher air pressure to support more weight??than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable. From tire rack about going with the XL option on your tires. So yes harsher ride. Tire rack has a wealth of information for ya

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Model
    Optima SXL Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Well fed family car View Post
    When talking about tires, XL really means extra load. These tires can use higher air pressure to support more weight??than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable. From tire rack about going with the XL option on your tires. So yes harsher ride. Tire rack has a wealth of information for ya
    thanks for all the information

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    Mind if I ask why you want to go 245/45 18? 235/45 18 would be a better compromise, if using the stock rim. Either one is going to add a bit more height (rubber) between the wheel and the road so the ride should be softer overall. The P7s are not Ultra High Performance All Season tires so they won't be as firm. You could order larger size and see how they feel then switch them for the smaller one if you don't like them. I'm going to change mine from 215/55 17 to 225/50 17s when it's time.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Model
    Optima SXL Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynerm002 View Post
    Mind if I ask why you want to go 245/45 18? 235/45 18 would be a better compromise, if using the stock rim. Either one is going to add a bit more height (rubber) between the wheel and the road so the ride should be softer overall. The P7s are not Ultra High Performance All Season tires so they won't be as firm. You could order larger size and see how they feel then switch them for the smaller one if you don't like them. I'm going to change mine from 215/55 17 to 225/50 17s when it's time.
    Hey buddy I don't mind. First I have aftermarket wheels, they are 18" by 8". The reason I choose 245 overr 235 is more sidewall height the more slightly better (smooth) ride. When I bought the car new last year those nexens seemed rather harsh at 225/45/18. I made the mistake of getting high performance tires (pilot A/S 3), I know now that I SURELY want grand touring tires(which the P7 are right? and somehow a 70,000 mile warranty?). I have a turbo but I really can careless(well just not that much, surely nice to have) about performance. I want the quietest, smoothest ride possible.
    Last edited by OptimaPea; 02-25-2016 at 07:08 PM.

11. The Following User Says Kudos to OptimaPea For This Useful Post:

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Trim
    Sx
    I had some terrible tires that came with my 2012 sx they were so loud and choppy. Vibrated the entire car after awhile. So I was disgusted with my new car after less than a year. So I just bought the P7 grand touring tires they are so so quiet to any tires I've owned. Totally worth the cost. Around 1000$ installed. I went with nitrogen filled. But I stuck with the stock size 225/45/18. And yes they have a 70k mile tread life warranty. Good luck

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    The P7s certainly will fit the bill for you. Even though being a XL in the size you want, I really don't think they will be as hard you are imaging they will be. My other car is pretty heavy and uses UHP AS tires (Toyo Proxes 4+), I was hating the ride when the temps were really cold while using the recommended tire pressure (38psi), I dropped them to 35 for a bit of comfort. My P7s are usually at 36 psi (34 psi on sticker) because I like how firm they feel and handle on the road. At recommended spec, the car feels smooth and like a luxury car (so my wife and others say), it's a hybrid but I like driving and a couple extra psi works for me.

I say that to emphasize the compound of the P7 is designed to work in the cold better than some others, provide LRR features, ride comfortable, handle well in all weather and also has a long tread life. This probably the longest I have had any tire and the first GT tire I've purchased, I've always had Summer/Winter setup or UHP AS. Give them a try, the P Zero AS + should also provide a comfortable ride based on TR testing and you can get those in 245/40 18 which is smaller in diameter to keep that sporty look. I spent a long time there before deciding on the P7s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Year
    Trim
    SX 2.0T
    I have heard so much good things about these P7, I would love to try it out once my all season Continental tires are worn out. Probably looking at 2 more yrs or so since they're still fairly new, hopefully I still have my Optima by then lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

15. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast