Toyo Proxe 4 Plus (Nitto Motivo)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo Proxe 4 Plus (Nitto Motivo)

OptimaForums Veteran

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus (Nitto Motivo)

I just picked up a set of Toyo's new Proxes 4 Plus at a great price from Tread Depot. They have a $50 off deal the expires the 17th which brought my total price on 4 225/40R19's down to $619.00 with shipping and taxes. The best price on Motivos (Discount Tire Direct) was $795.00 with shipping and taxes. (Both companies do bussiness in Ohio so I was going to have to pay taxes either way.) So the Toyos came out about $175 less than the best I price on Motivos after calculating shipping and taxes.

Toyo is Nitto's parent company and these two tires appear to be the same so I jumped at the chance to get them at that price, but the Nitto does come with a better warranty so if the price were closer, I might have paid a little extra for them.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 12-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    2013 SWP EX with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    225/40-19 Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires.

Gone - 2011 SWP EX with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Tread design is completely different. They aren't even close to be looking the same.

Even if they did look the same they compound could be different.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Not Proxes 4s, Proxes 4 Plus.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 12-16-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    2013 SWP EX with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and

This?

OptimaForums Veteran NewKiaSXOwner's Avatar
    thanks for the specs on both tires.. I would like to hear the input on the quietness of them..
    2012 Kia Optima SX-SWP Build date 1-11-12 Link to Mods. NewKiaSxOwner's Garage

OptimaForums Veteran
    The Nitto looks to be positioned as the premium brand between the two. It does carry a better warranty and has a few more sipes added, but they seem to be sibling tires by all other accounts.

Let us know how the tires work out for you. I'd be interested in how they drive and perform.

The Nitto Motivos are on top of my list to buy in January for my refinished 19" rims.

OptimaForums Veteran
    I finally got these mounted up Saturday. This is the 4th 19" tire I've run on this car. Three were 225/40s and one was a 245/40. I used one max performance summer tire and three all season tires and I'm very impressed with these so far.

My initial impression was with 30 psi because that is what the installer gave me. They handle as well as my max performance summer tire (with less ultimate grip I'm sure) but are very quiet and very comfortable. I was amazed how well they isolate the broken road surfaces and seemed to just float over cracks and bumps without feeling soft in the corners. The Toyo's seemed to handle as good as my 225/40R19 Continental Extreme Contact DW while offering the ride quality of the 245/40R19 Michelin Primacy grand touring tires I had tested for 30 days. Even at 30 psi, I never felt as though I was going to blow a tire or bend a wheel with these like I did with the all season Continental DWS (I like the DW summer tire much more than the DWS.)

This morning I bumped the pressure up to 34 psi and the Toyo's became noticeably harsher. At this pressure they ride pretty much like the Conti DW tires but quieter. Not to say they are terribly rough, just not pillow soft. My thoughts are that I may be able to safely run the Toyo's closer to 30psi without any ill affects giving me a great ride and great handling. I'm pretty excited about that potential.

I'll probably leave these on for a bit and see how they handle a little snow before I swap back to my dedicated winter tires. By then I'll have a better idea of just how nice these really are, but it looks like we have a winner.

I just bought and put the Toyo's on my car today. So far I like them, but will report back when I have more miles on them. One thing for sure is that they are quiet and feel stable enough for my type of driving. Decent cost also. $747 with an allignment and taxes.
    2011 OPTIMA SX / COLOR-SATIN METAL / BUILD-5/11 / SAIKOU MICHI PCV CATCH CAN 3/19/12 / K&N Air Filter 3/21/12 / LED interior lights 3/31/12 / Ceramic Tinted Whole Car 7/21/12

OptimaForums Veteran
    Couple of more thoughts on my set so far (about 500 miles):

1. They are heavier than advertised. My wheels gained two pounds each going from 46 lbs to 48 lbs (my stock wheels weigh 44 lbs each). I'm noticing a slight drop in fuel economy.

2. I've run them as low as 30 psi and as high as 38 psi. They ride really nice at lower pressures and still handle pretty well, but they kill the MPG numbers. Handling and MPG get better once over 35 psi, but you lose a little bit of comfort. Still a pretty smooth tire though and the ride really doesn't change much as you add pressure once your over 35 lbs.

3. Tires are pretty quiet. They could almost advertise these as grand touring tires (which is what our cars come with from the factory). They are almost that quiet and comfortable.

4. Ultimate grip in wet and dry is no where near a max performance summer tire but it's pretty good overall. Perfect for a daily driver with a little bit of spirited driving mixed in. Plus these should last about twice as long as a max performance summer tire and cost 25%-35% less.

5. Tires track well in snow once moving, but getting them going in the wet stuff is a challenge as it is with most all season tires. I could probably manage with them I but won't be giving up my snow tires anytime soon.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements