LED headlight Mod & Upgraded OEM Positioning Lamps - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED headlight Mod & Upgraded OEM Positioning Lamps

Checkout our online store K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Model
    2015 KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Quote Originally Posted by c2090 View Post
    All the items were brought from Korea. The Lock Folding relays are available from the company I bought the Window relays from, but I didn't get it; mainly because a lot of people broke their folding mirrors while parked next to a building/pole due to its automatic unfolding feature when they unlocked the car.

Window relays are special ordered from Winsli while I was in Korea. Shark Racing does not carry this module. SR window relays are supplied by DoWonTech, not Winsli.
    I had purchased a relay module from Korea and had it installed but could not get it to work no matter what I tried.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by guardiannite View Post
    Can you share on how you did the windows mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Bmw View Post
    I had purchased a relay module from Korea and had it installed but could not get it to work no matter what I tried.
    You can get a module from Shark Racing that is similar to mine; however the SR module is not compatible with the SX and SXL models.

They will provide you a diagram and instructions on how to install them.
    You will be splicing motor wires, window lock wires, as well as wires for ACC.
    Last edited by c2090; 08-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by c2090 View Post
    I upgraded the OEM positioning lamps. I'll share some good information about upgrading them without buying new circuit boards.

Buying flexible LEDs are unnecessary. You can remove the resistors to get better brightness, but will shorten the life of the LEDs; however the factory LED chips are produced using quality LEDs, so I wouldn't worry about it. Additionaly, it has been shown that the factory LEDs can run without interference from resistors, and that N.A. SXL runs at 100% brightness during the day time.

We used the existing OEM flexible circuit boards on the DRL used on the K5, and unsoldered the SMD LED chips and replaced them with 7000k SMD LED chips.

- You can't just use any type of SMD chips.
    1. It must be SMD 3528 1 or 3chip LED
    2. @ 20 mA.
    3. Equal or Less than 0.1W per chip

*If you get LED chips at this spec, you shouldn't worry about changing the factory resistors.
    If you are using aftermarket LED chips on the OEM circuit board without resistors, you will shorten the life of the LED. There is no guarantee that aftermarket LED chips will have long life expectancy, so having the resistor boards will help the LEDs to last much longer
    A big thing you're missing (wel..i think you know, but just didnt come out like this) is that the led strips you buy typically already have resistors in them. So that is why DIY people like Homebrewd and Loman use the strips without an additional resistor board. They can be wired straight to the 12V power source, they're ready to go in a sense. By choosing to soldering each upgraded chip in place of the OEM, yea you need to continue to use the stock resistor board or they'll have a short life.... And SXL leds running at 100% does not mean they have 0 resistors, it means they have the standard resistors (like the strips you buy), BUT when lights are on and 50% mode is "engaged" the ADDITIONAL resistors on the circuit board are included, thus reducing the brightness. Never are the oem SXL running without resistors.

Just wanted to make that clear for others that read your 1st post...But YES, your lights look sick. Probably only 2nd to FusionLighting (or whatever his name is) on this forum. Good work
    Last edited by RedHotDamn!; 08-20-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotDamn! View Post
    A big thing you're missing (wel..i think you know, but just didnt come out like this) is that the led strips you buy typically already have resistors in them. So that is why DIY people like Homebrewd and Loman use the strips without an additional resistor board. They can be wired straight to the 12V power source, they're ready to go in a sense. By choosing to soldering each upgraded chip in place of the OEM, yea you need to continue to use the stock resistor board or they'll have a short life.... And SXL leds running at 100% does not mean they have 0 resistors, it means they have the standard resistors (like the strips you buy), BUT when lights are on and 50% mode is "engaged" the ADDITIONAL resistors on the circuit board are included, thus reducing the brightness. Never are the oem SXL running without resistors.

Just wanted to make that clear for others that read your 1st post...But YES, your lights look sick. Probably only 2nd to FusionLighting (or whatever his name is) on this forum. Good work
    Clearly, you misread my post. I never said anything about SXL running the Positioning Lamps without resistors. It comes with the function of controlling the resistors in two ways, just like you mentioned. "It has been shown that the factory LEDs can run without interference from resistors, and that N.A. SXL runs at 100% brightness during the day time." I specifically mentioned it only runs with extra output during the day.

"yea you need to continue to use the stock resistor board or they'll have a short life"
    Besides, if you think I did this upgrade without even thinking twice, you are wrong. I purchased high quality LED chips while I was in Korea. Most aftermarket LEDs you purchase are made in China. Most of them are the cheapest LEDs you can possibly find That is why I mentioned it will last longer with the resistors on. The factory LEDs can run without resistors or with lower ohm resistor if you want better brightness.

And what makes you think that aftermarket lights can put out so much lumen without killing its life? Aftermarket LEDs are very bright, but do you honestly think that its life expectancy is as long as the OEM LEDs? They obviously put higher Watt LEDs or lower ohm resistors, what does this mean? It doesn't last as long as the Factory LEDs, especially with higher Watt. It could be worse when it's made with poor quality.

In order to get the same effect, all you have to do is change the factory resistors to lower omh resistors. The life expectancy of the aftermarket LEDs and the factory LEDs w/ lower ohm resistors will probably the same. I just didn't mention it because no one in the forum wanted to mess with the resistors.

Besides, you are missing the whole point of this upgrade. Not only it costs much less, this upgrade is much better and efficient when it comes to repairing the lights when LED chips are dead. You can simply replace the LED chips that you already purchased when you were upgrading them.

*Every time a batch of LED chips is produced, the color is different from the previous batch even though the spec is exactly the same. It is worse if you purchase the LED chips from a different company. If one LED chip dies on the aftermarket strip, you have no choice but to buy a new strip. Unless you are willing to unsolder them and put the whole new row of chips since LED chip you buy will differ(spec, color, and output) from the exisiting LED chips. Now if the spec of LED chips is different, then you will have to replace the resistors as well.

I'm sorry if my response is offensive; however someone pointing out "a big thing that I'm missing," without knowing my full intentions...I think I deserve to defend my statements.
    Last edited by c2090; 08-20-2012 at 02:04 PM.

yo didnt mean to make you think i was challenging you, just saying what you wrote could be interpreted a lil different.

That said I have a correction of what I wrote. I had wrote when lights are on extra resistors come into play...however I think Loman pointed out in a previous thread that actually the SXL are 3 wire instead of 2 wire because 1 power wire feeds/turns on 1-2 chips of the 3chip led, and when the other power wire is included it runs all 3chips of the led. Thats how they make full brightness vs reduced in the OEM setup. Each "chip" of the individual led has a resistor for long life.

Youre point about strips and quality is true when you buy ebay. I only by V-led and they are very high quality like OEM, not cheap ebays (or even like some of JDMtoys), color temps always spot on and run 3 chip, you can see the resistors on there too, per chip per led.

Its a good point about if 1 led goes out with your method you can replace just that one. How hard is it to solder each little led? Do you have pics? Would seem to be a PITA and more prone to mess up by the average DIY person than sticking a ready to go strip in.

Learner's Permit
    Looks good. Still hoping someone will find auto folding mirror mod that automatically folds mirrors when doors lock.
    I totally agree to this!!

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotDamn! View Post
    yo didnt mean to make you think i was challenging you, just saying what you wrote could be interpreted a lil different.

That said I have a correction of what I wrote. I had wrote when lights are on extra resistors come into play...however I think Loman pointed out in a previous thread that actually the SXL are 3 wire instead of 2 wire because 1 power wire feeds/turns on 1-2 chips of the 3chip led, and when the other power wire is included it runs all 3chips of the led. Thats how they make full brightness vs reduced in the OEM setup. Each "chip" of the individual led has a resistor for long life.

Youre point about strips and quality is true when you buy ebay. I only by V-led and they are very high quality like OEM, not cheap ebays (or even like some of JDMtoys), color temps always spot on and run 3 chip, you can see the resistors on there too, per chip per led.

Its a good point about if 1 led goes out with your method you can replace just that one. How hard is it to solder each little led? Do you have pics? Would seem to be a PITA and more prone to mess up by the average DIY person than sticking a ready to go strip in.
    Solding each little leds are extremely easy. As long as you have solder, a soldering iron, and tweezers, you are ready to go. If you can wire and solder the aftermarket strips, you can definitely solder LEDs on the strip.
    A 10 year old kid can do it, so I'd say it's very easy.
    Last edited by c2090; 08-20-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Certified Wrench Monkey
    If you get a relay module from Winsli, it will work; however, SR does not carry that product.

You can ask if SR would do a special order for you. A group buy sounds like a way to go.

Winsli also sells Lock Folding Mirror relay called "Auto Wing" that you can control mirrors with your key fob.

Checkout our online store K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Model
    2015 KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package

I love the halos. I don't think I have the huevos to open up my headlights.

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    2011 Kia Optima LX
    20" MSR 042 Rims//Eibach springs//OEM mudflaps//OEM DRL's//OEM foglights//OEM SX grille
    OEM LED tail lights//35w 6000k HID Low beams and Fogs
    Debadged Optima and GDI badges//"K" badges//20% Tint front/back
    LED's - map, dome, reverse, license plate and trunk//Red ring LED cup holders
    Red LED mood lights//Red programmable LED's in front and back foot wells
    x4 Zeus Hifonics ZXi63 speakers//Concept lll SRI//M&S spoiler

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements