Kia Optima Forums banner

Switchback LED's (Front Turn Signals)

[DIY] : 
155K views 322 replies 76 participants last post by  SteveAust 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I begin I want to state that I didn't take many pics while disassembling my car. I do apologize but I will use pics that I have taken to illustrate some of the steps within the DIY. Also my approach was to use T-taps although it looks a lot better if soldered, I didn't have a soldering iron in my possession.

Things That You Will Need:

1. 1157 Switchback LED's from IJDMTOY or VLEDs. Ones that I purchased are here: https://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LED_1157_SKU_3E
2. 6 Ohm 50W Resistors (2 resistors needed). Purchased here: 6 OHM 50W 2 BULB LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS LED TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX | 1 PAIR
3. T-taps or a soldering iron (4 T-taps if this method is taken)
4. Pliers
5. Wire strippers

The Project:

1. Disconnect the Negative battery terminal by using a socket wrench. (10mm)
2. Remove the factory intake by using a socket wrench. (10mm)
3. Disconnect the power from the headlamp by removing the headlamp connector.
4. Locate the turn signal bulb housings (looks like white fish tails) and remove them.
Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Engine Car
5. Replace the stock bulbs with the LED's that you purchased and reinstall.
6. I started with the passengers side first.
Wire Auto part Automotive lighting Vehicle Cable
7. Once you have that housing removed from the passengers side headlamp connector, pull the protective wrap around the wires back about 1.5". (Give yourself enough room to place the T-tap in between the wires.)
8. I Didn't memorize the colors of the wires behind the connector. Make sure your connector looks identical to the position as the picture is taken and Pin #1 & Pin #8 will be easily identifiable. At this point your side repeater on the passengers side mirror will hyper-blink. (The side repeater and our turn signals are wired in series, so they will both hyper-blink at the same time if a resistor is not present.) If you wish to test the resistor to make sure everything will work correctly feel free to reconnect the Negative battery terminal; using your wire strippers, remove 3/4" of the rubber shielding on each end of the resistor and place one end into Pin #1 and the other end into Pin #8, (polarity DOES NOT play a factor while doing this.) You should right away see the side repeater blink at a normal rate.
Orange Vehicle Auto part Technology Car

9. Once you have all T-taps in place use your pliers to crimp the wires together. A crimp tool is too narrow to use on T-taps IMO.
10. Test the passenger side turn signal and no hyper-blink should be present if the wires are crimped down properly. 11. Repeat for the drivers side. Again make sure that the headlamp connector is facing the same was as shown in the picture and you will know where Pin #1 and Pin #8 are. Good Luck.

Here's a pic of the mounting location:
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#7 ·
very nice, just a fyi for those of you that want type-2 leds from vleds they do not work.

(type 2 is the one that turns the white off when amber is blinking)

i got this couple weeks ago and still havent got it to work :( the white doesnt turn on :'(

#11 · (Edited)
Here's the connector info from the KGIS website. Technically the pin numbers are 4 & 5 and the wire colors on the LH side are Lavender/Orange and Black and the RH side are Red/Orange and Black.

Text Font Line Technology Screenshot
Text Font Line Technology Screenshot

#12 ·
Here's the connector info from the KGIS website. Technically the pin numbers are 4 & 5 and the wire colors are Red/Orange and Black.

View attachment 5550
I was looking all over for this when i was trying to do it but couldn't find it. So I had to use a multimeter and some trial and error to figure out which to use. Good thing you found it. I named them 1 & 8 to avoid confusion. Thanks though!

#19 ·
mmm not sure but I likes it! :D lol

Great write-up, great video. Stickied!
Thank you sir! :yahoo:

I was actually referring to where you mounted the actual resistor housings.
Ah I get you now. Sure not a problem I'll take one when I have some light outside. It wont be today, I'll take one tomorrow morning and post it up. I actually applied 3M tape to the back of the resistor housing and mounted it under the frame by the headlamps. A pictures will definitely explain this better :lol:

Maybe its just me on this one but I see that as being the type of thing that could get you pulled over. I know in VA white/amber flashing lights are for road safety vehicles and impersonation could be called into play with something like this. Just a thought, no doubt looks cool. If the white stayed off completely until the the blinker was turned back off I would see less of a problem (more like the DRLs on Audis and the Sportage), just a flashing white light may draw some attention.
I've had 2 cops so far that have been able to see them in action; and I haven't been bothered at all. Not to say that every cop will not mind it but it's perfectly legal. To one the amber may look like it's actually blinking as the white light remains lit or completely the other way around. It's the purpose of a switchback as long as there is an amber present and blinking.. it's legal as can be.

#17 ·
Maybe its just me on this one but I see that as being the type of thing that could get you pulled over. I know in VA white/amber flashing lights are for road safety vehicles and impersonation could be called into play with something like this. Just a thought, no doubt looks cool. If the white stayed off completely until the the blinker was turned back off I would see less of a problem (more like the DRLs on Audis and the Sportage), just a flashing white light may draw some attention.

#20 ·
It only flashes between white and yellow like in the video when the hazards are on. Normal operation doesn't do that.
Oh ok so when the blinker is on for one side it just does amber only blinking no white at all until the blinker is turned off?

I've had 2 cops so far that have been able to see them in action; and I haven't been bothered at all. Not to say that every cop will not mind it but it's perfectly legal. To one the amber may look like it's actually blinking as the white light remains lit or completely the other way around. It's the purpose of a switchback as long as there is an amber present and blinking.. it's legal as can be.
I see what you are saying I would just be worried that a cop would see that at a flashing white light which could be looked at unfavorably. That's all.

#31 ·
I really need to get around to doing this. I've been living with hyperflash for far too long now.
Great DIY, this helps for sure. Now you need to do the rears :lol:
Will this one work?
Yea this will work if you feel comfortable buying off of ebay rather than the listed resistors on the DIY. The resistors I ordered came with T-taps included so I didn't have to purchase anything other than the bulbs. Not sure if you'll get that with ebay suppliers.

#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.