[DIY] : LED Bumper Reflector Install - Page 11
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Bumper Reflector Install

Senior Wrench Monkey aceassassin13's Avatar
    Installed mine last night and with my buddy took us 2.5 hrs. Fitment was just about spot on. I guess with my car being a 2013 SXL I had few extra/less push pins, screws bolts here and there that was different than the DIY writeup but for the most part it was correct. Thanks!!

I ran it through the factory grommet in center behind the bumper support and prolly used about 2.5-3 feet extra wire and just taped into the factory lights harness. I soldered everything and used heat shrink to make the job look professional.

All in all it was a very easy mod and the results are absolutely amazing. These LEDS match the factory lights perfectly.

Last edited by aceassassin13; 08-07-2013 at 10:05 PM.

2013 K5 SXL

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit Walter the Texas Aggie's Avatar
    Thanks for the great write up and DIY. I installed both the rear LED and backup sensors on my 2013 SXL to add sound to the rear view camera. Miss those beeps I had in my Maxima.

Certified Wrench Monkey KingFatty's Avatar
    Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    Very impressive. So it seems like all the splicing/soldering of the wires is confined within the bumper itself? So in the original post, he did it so that if the shop tries to take off the bumper, it will still have all the plugs and everything can be disconnected just like it's stock?

Also, are there any write-ups of installation that use the trailer accessory thing, where you wire the bumper reflector lights to the trailer accessory and then you never have to touch or cut/splice any wires at all?

Senior Wrench Monkey SilverK513's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    K5
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
    Very impressive. So it seems like all the splicing/soldering of the wires is confined within the bumper itself? So in the original post, he did it so that if the shop tries to take off the bumper, it will still have all the plugs and everything can be disconnected just like it's stock?

Also, are there any write-ups of installation that use the trailer accessory thing, where you wire the bumper reflector lights to the trailer accessory and then you never have to touch or cut/splice any wires at all?
    When I did mine with the trailer pigtail I didn't do a do it yourself as it is pretty self explanatory. I can maybe try to get under it and get a pic if you want to see. Not sure if I can get one though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Interior: LED boards from MotoringMax/iJDMToy, Vanity Mirror LED's and Trunk LED, K5 door pocket inserts, Custom radar detector install with mirror mount, Tinted Windows 20% front 5% rear, steering wheel 3.0 K badge, Toddler Carseat (Pink)
    Exterior: LED plate bulbs, Reflector LED's, LED Taillights, 3.0 CF K badges, K5 center caps, Optima debadge, K5 rebadge, OEM LED drl's. 5000k low beam and fog HIDs

OptimaForums Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by aceassassin13 View Post
    Installed mine last night and with my buddy took us 2.5 hrs. Fitment was just about spot on. I guess with my car being a 2013 SXL I had few extra/less push pins, screws bolts here and there that was different than the DIY writeup but for the most part it was correct. Thanks!!

I ran it through the factory grommet in center behind the bumper support and prolly used about 2.5-3 feet extra wire and just taped into the factory lights harness. I soldered everything and used heat shrink to make the job look professional.
    Do you happen to remember which bolts/screws were different? My 2013 had all the screws I mention in the DIY. Good job on the install... that is the best way to install these IMHO. Couldn't see doing it any other way, except maybe with the trailer harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter the Texas Aggie View Post
    Thanks for the great write up and DIY. I installed both the rear LED and backup sensors on my 2013 SXL to add sound to the rear view camera. Miss those beeps I had in my Maxima.
    No problem, I'm glad this has helped so many people. I have been tempted to install a backup sensor with a beep as well. Do you have pics/video of your setup? Would be interested to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
    Thank you, and yes in fact if you notice in the pics my harnesses are placed exactly at the sensor harness (I think it is an impact sensor) for the bumper. So if a factory tech, or body shop tech, had to remove the bumper... the harnesses are in the same location as the factory harness. It won't add any extra time for them worrying about wiring which means they won't be mad while working on the wife's car... lol.

Senior Wrench Monkey aceassassin13's Avatar
    I don't remember I didn't really count but I know some of the step they were just a tad different. But with some common sense anyone can figure out what needs to come out. I used the DIY guide as a rough outline of what needs to happen and had no troubles, it really helped me. Thanks.

I may go back and add posi lock connectors to the wires so I can unscrew them if the bumper/lights ever need to come off, this way I wont have to cut any wires.

2013 K5 SXL

Learner's Permit Walter the Texas Aggie's Avatar
    PM me and I can send you some pics. Basically there are holes cut in the bumper styrofoam that line up with the Korean location for the backup sensors. I put the module behind the trunk liner where they stuck the first aid kit on the drivers side. Look at the Kia drawing of our car and you can see the factory location for the backup sensors. I also saw the 2014 car show model had the backup sensors on it.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    Thank you sooooo much for this write up, I would not have attempted this without it! Made my install yesterday a breeze! (minus the hitch issue but that was out of the ordinary)

LED Bumper Reflector Install-bumper-off.jpgLED Bumper Reflector Install-new-bumper-leds.jpg

2012 Snow white pearl Optima Hybrid with premium/technology package.
    20% tint, sides and back, LED cup holders, Flying K badges, K5 badge on trunk, Roadruns grill, vinyl gloss black wrap (hood), 18" Motegi Racing rims (MR126), Yokohama Avid Envigor tires *** from K5 optima store: rear LED reflectors, 25w cree fog lights, 25w cree reverse lights and switchbacks

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima

Thumbs up

Installed yesterday by the man himself! Thanks!! @crystalworks A+++, if your in the San Antonio area and don't want to tackle this yourself i'd highly recommend.

LED Bumper Reflector Install-photo-4.jpgLED Bumper Reflector Install-photo-2.jpgLED Bumper Reflector Install-photo-1.jpg

Senior Wrench Monkey SilverK513's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    K5
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by Durinbold View Post
    Thank you sooooo much for this write up, I would not have attempted this without it! Made my install yesterday a breeze! (minus the hitch issue but that was out of the ordinary)

Attachment 32953Attachment 32961
    Good job, but wth? You didn't have to take the actual metal bumper off. Just the bumper cover lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Interior: LED boards from MotoringMax/iJDMToy, Vanity Mirror LED's and Trunk LED, K5 door pocket inserts, Custom radar detector install with mirror mount, Tinted Windows 20% front 5% rear, steering wheel 3.0 K badge, Toddler Carseat (Pink)
    Exterior: LED plate bulbs, Reflector LED's, LED Taillights, 3.0 CF K badges, K5 center caps, Optima debadge, K5 rebadge, OEM LED drl's. 5000k low beam and fog HIDs

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements