Kia Optima Forums banner

Install Reverse Lights

[DIY] : 
50K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  Probable Cauz 
#1 · (Edited)
So I ordered the Concept 3 Performance Stage 2 LED kit and have installed everything else except the Reverse lights because I've been waiting to have some time to do it. I tried to gather as much info before installing so I kinda knew what I was in for. Well here it goes, a step by step guide for the Reverse Lights so you can either change out bulbs or install some sweet LED lights, i.e. Sick BMW's New Bright CREE Reverse LED Lights.

First off, here is a comparison view of the OEM lights on the left and Concept 3 Performance LED T10 5 5050 bulb on the right

All right, so let's get to it.

1. Open up the trunk and locate the handle inside the trunk, near the right side. The cover on the handle pops open if you pry it gently. There will be two metal screws located inside which must be removed.

And a picture of the metal screw

2. Locate a couple plastic screws, five to be exact, which are the closest to the latch. There will also be two bumper nubs that don't necessarily need to be removed. It you can wiggle the trunk liner around it then try that. I just found out that when you re-install the trunk liner it is easier to push the bumpers back in first, then push the liner back on.

Left Side

Right Side

As well as pics of the plastic screws

And bumbers

3. Carefully pull the trunk liner down over the latch assembly so you can see all the wires underneath.

4. I'll start with the right tail light and show you what you'll see underneath.
That big plastic wrapped wire must be disconnected and the nut removed.

Picture of the nut

Power plug removed

5. The two bolts at the side of the tail light assembly must also be removed and stored in a safe place.

6. Now that the two bolts from the side have been removed along with the washer from underneath, as well as disconnecting the power cord, we can now move onto removing the tail light assembly. Gently pushing on the side of the assembly as shown in the picture will move the assembly up and then you can remove it from the trunk housing.

7. We can now have a look at the backside of the tail light assembly and look for the grey light housing with the two wires connected and gently twist and remove.

8. Install brand new bulb, or LED, of your choosing.

LED pictured is the Concept 3 Performance LED T10 5 5050 bulb, soon to be replaced with Sick BMW's New Bright CREE Reverse LED Lights.

**NOTE: As I'm sure many you have experience with the LED bulbs and know that you must test the light to make sure it is the proper way in the socket.

--Be safe when putting your car in reverse by yourself. I did this by placing the emergency brake on, then shifting into reverse, making sure that the car was not in motion when leaving the car. If you have someone else to help, that'd be optimal. Not calling any of you all stupid, just saying for safety.

10. Reverse all the steps! Enjoy your new reverse lights :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Just thought I'd add that the bumpers don't need to be removed to do this. You can carefully pull the liner over them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
Just a note regarding step #9 that you can turn the car "on" without starting it and place the gearshift into reverse to activate the lights. Doing this means you don't need to worry about the car going anywhere w/o a driver in it :D This is even more important on the SXL since the ebrake automatically disengages when the shifter is moved out of park.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks T Morris,
I'm just so used to starting the engine, but you are correct. You can just double tap the start button without depressing the brake pedal so the engine isn't running. Then e-brake and switch gears to reverse.

Just curious. On the SXL, if you do the above without having the engine going, will the e-brake still disengage when shifting out of park?

#16 ·
Definitely a nice guide. Visual details are always the best especially for people new to this type of stuff like me.

#18 ·
And a thank you to everyone else for the kind words. Please post your experiences with installation. I'm gonna be doing this all over again with my shipment of some new CREE LED bulbs from Sick BMW. I'll post pictures comparing my old LED bulbs with the new ones.

#19 ·
You should make a video... I think there was a thread asking for one to be made... I could be wrong but could really help those that don't like to read lol

#23 ·
Thanks for the DIY write up! Great detailed pics too! Saved me some time trying to figure out how I would get my hand in there. Quick search and ur DIY pulled. Thanks!

#24 ·
Much appreciated guys! Glad I was able to help. Keep up the modding :) Any other questions you guys have or anything else you'd like to add, please post and let me know.

#25 ·
redturbo12 said:
Much appreciated guys! Glad I was able to help. Keep up the modding :) Any other questions you guys have or anything else you'd like to add, please post and let me know.

Followed this today for a flawless install of backup LEDs!!! Went ahead and installed some license plate LEDs too... Those black plastic screws can be a PITA sometimes!

#26 ·
I wanted to also say thanks for the write up. The details and pics made it very easy.

I had the license plate lights I had gotten free from Jasper in a "pass it forward" and the back up lights I bought from David at K5 Optima.

I have to admit I did the the back up lights first and was underwhelmed at the light, till I started to do the plate lights and thought, no Frickin way are these big a$$ bulbs fitting in there. Then brightness here sees the light and puts the correct bulbs in the tail lights.:blink: Duh!

The back up lights make a big difference with the back up camera and the plate lights look a lot cleaner. Thanks again for the great instructions.

#32 ·
I can't speak for pre-'14 models, but on my '14 SX, when I took off the felt lid liner, I was able to access the reverse bulbs without having to remove the entire light housing. Just turned the sockets counter-clockwise, swapped bulbs, and put everything back together. Hope this might help save time for some of you. And the lights are ****! Thanks K5 Optima Store!

#33 · (Edited)
Just installed the full set of LED lights into my 2015 SXL. Thanks for the instructions on the reverse lights. It was really easy. Took about 15 minutes total. You'll need a 10mm and 11mm socket wrench and a phillips screwdriver and that's it. They looks awesome. Agree with the above poster, I think I might have been able to replace without removing the whole housing, but it was so easy to take them out and put them back, it didn't really matter.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Family car Compact car

This kit: http://www.k5optimastore.com/collections/products/products/interior-led-kit

#36 · (Edited)
Did you try flipping the bulb within the socket? Also, did you happen to blow any fuses? Make sure the engine starts. It's been awhile since I installed these. Feel free to PM me and I'll try and give advice. Otherwise we got a huge amount of support on the forums :)

#40 ·
#43 ·
Installed these in about 10 minutes - VERY easy install on my 2014 SXL. Since the CREE LEDs are a longer than the OEM bulbs, the only tricky part is maneuvering/angling them to fit into the opening due to lack of slack on the stock wiring harness. Output is great though!

Thank you again for your business and for posting pics. Gonna add one of them to our site if that's ok with you. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.