So I ordered the Concept 3 Performance Stage 2 LED kit and have installed everything else except the Reverse lights because I've been waiting to have some time to do it. I tried to gather as much info before installing so I kinda knew what I was in for. Well here it goes, a step by step guide for the Reverse Lights so you can either change out bulbs or install some sweet LED lights, i.e. Sick BMW's New Bright CREE Reverse LED Lights.
First off, here is a comparison view of the OEM lights on the left and Concept 3 Performance LED T10 5 5050 bulb on the right
All right, so let's get to it.
1. Open up the trunk and locate the handle inside the trunk, near the right side. The cover on the handle pops open if you pry it gently. There will be two metal screws located inside which must be removed.
And a picture of the metal screw
2. Locate a couple plastic screws, five to be exact, which are the closest to the latch. There will also be two bumper nubs that don't necessarily need to be removed. It you can wiggle the trunk liner around it then try that. I just found out that when you re-install the trunk liner it is easier to push the bumpers back in first, then push the liner back on.
As well as pics of the plastic screws
3. Carefully pull the trunk liner down over the latch assembly so you can see all the wires underneath.
4. I'll start with the right tail light and show you what you'll see underneath.
That big plastic wrapped wire must be disconnected and the nut removed.
Picture of the nut
Power plug removed
5. The two bolts at the side of the tail light assembly must also be removed and stored in a safe place.
6. Now that the two bolts from the side have been removed along with the washer from underneath, as well as disconnecting the power cord, we can now move onto removing the tail light assembly. Gently pushing on the side of the assembly as shown in the picture will move the assembly up and then you can remove it from the trunk housing.
7. We can now have a look at the backside of the tail light assembly and look for the grey light housing with the two wires connected and gently twist and remove.
8. Install brand new bulb, or LED, of your choosing.
LED pictured is the Concept 3 Performance LED T10 5 5050 bulb, soon to be replaced with Sick BMW's New Bright CREE Reverse LED Lights.
**NOTE: As I'm sure many you have experience with the LED bulbs and know that you must test the light to make sure it is the proper way in the socket.
--Be safe when putting your car in reverse by yourself. I did this by placing the emergency brake on, then shifting into reverse, making sure that the car was not in motion when leaving the car. If you have someone else to help, that'd be optimal. Not calling any of you all stupid, just saying for safety.
10. Reverse all the steps! Enjoy your new reverse lights