Does anyone Autocross?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does anyone Autocross?

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo

Does anyone Autocross?

I'm thinking about getting back into Autocross with my 2015 SX-T. My girlfriend is also interested, so we're going to go watch one next month to see what she thinks. She's got a 2013 Sonata SE with the 2.0t GDI.

Looking at the SCCA website, I found that the Optima appears to fit into the H - Street category, but I can't find a category listed for the Sonata. Anyone know if it's in the same class?

Now, her car also has springs, so I'm thinking that bumps her to Street Touring FWD (STF). Does anyone know for sure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Being awesome every day! Jasper's Avatar
    Considering the sonata is mechanically identical I would say they're the same class lol. As far as what springs do I would hope they dont bump you in class for JUST lowering springs. Only makes a little bit of difference. Tires would be a bigger player.

Make sure you use full synthetic, high octane, and maybe consider changing plugs. If you plan to track the car more than once or twice I'd say maybe get a transmission oil cooler. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Jasper; 11-18-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    2014 KIA Rio5 EX Aurora Black

35% Tint
    Debadged
    Custom Oil catch Can

I support the K5 Optima Store
    for all my car part needs.

Model
    2011 K5 Turbo
    Trim
    SX W/Premium
    My friend Bob knows more about autocross than anyone else I know, but he doesn't get on here as much as me.

2011 K5 Turbo - KDM Registry #0009 - Kia Optima K5 Owners - www.KOK5O.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Model
    2011 SX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    As far as what springs do I would hope they dont bump you in class for JUST lowering springs. Only makes a little bit of difference. Tires would be a bigger player..
    SCCA Auto-x is VERY STRICT about any changes to a car and classes. It's a suspension mod, so it changes your class.. Stock class you can't even roll a fender...

https://www.sff.net/people/dburkhead/prepcompare.htm

NASA rules are more flexible as they use a point system for different mods and is what FAST Auto-X uses.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...-x_classes.pdf

Check your area to see what's available. Most people I've spoken to prefer FAST over SCCA unless you really want 100% stock for stock competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by stoli View Post
    SCCA Auto-x is VERY STRICT about any changes to a car and classes. It's a suspension mod, so it changes your class.. Stock class you can't even roll a fender...

https://www.sff.net/people/dburkhead/prepcompare.htm

NASA rules are more flexible as they use a point system for different mods and is what FAST Auto-X uses.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...-x_classes.pdf

Check your area to see what's available. Most people I've spoken to prefer FAST over SCCA unless you really want 100% stock for stock competition.
    I checked the PDF and neither the Sonata turbo or Optima are listed on the sheet. I guess they think 4 doors aren't worth listing? LOL

They don't appear to have anything in my area (Las Vegas) either. I've run SCCA Solo before, years ago, and it's pretty fun with minimal chance of hurting your ride.

Model
    2011 SX
    My mistake, I didn't realize FAST was a Florida only thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIPU Goal
    Year
    Model
    SXL
    Optima is too heavy for tracking.
    $$$
    You'll go through brake pads and tires like drifters.
    lol...
    Let's do our best!

Learner's Permit
    I've taken my K5 to a few HPDE events at the local road racing course. It's very fun,but I think it will be a bit too heavy for a smaller,slower speed course like an autocross event,but its all about having fun. Let us know how it goes.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    I autocrossed for 10 years, most of it on my Prelude (STX, then DSP), and occasionally co-drive with a couple of MX-5 (Miata) people. Did regional event, Tours, and two Solo Nationals. Won my class a number of times regionally.

My wife is pictured in the driver's seat

I haven't done autocross for a long while now, but hope to jump into some co-driving duties to get my feet wet again.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread