[EX] Low Gas mileage?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [EX] Low Gas mileage?

Riding Lawn Mower

[EX] Low Gas mileage?

I just bought my new EX Optima. I love everything about it but for some reason the mileage I'm getting is very low. It's below 20, even with eco on. Do I have to wait for it to break in or something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shortestlee View Post
    I just bought my new EX Optima. I love everything about it but for some reason the mileage I'm getting is very low. It's below 20, even with eco on. Do I have to wait for it to break in or something?
    I have the EX Turbo, I started with 17 or 18 mpg and it has increased to 25.7 mpg after 1200 miles. It seems to be getting better with time.... Kind of like wine. I started for the first 5 days on ECO and since then I have not used ECO. I mostly do non highway driving. Hope that helps. I am confident you will see an improvement.
    Peace - RobsterRob

Riding Lawn Mower
    Alright thanks. I'm hoping it will get better soon. These gas prices are insane.

Learner's Permit RideTheLlamababy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shortestlee View Post
    Alright thanks. I'm hoping it will get better soon. These gas prices are insane.
    Our EX has been getting 20-22mpg all-city from the day we bought the car. Highway driving at 75-80mph on a flat road we get about 33-34mpg. This is mileage i calculate at the fill-up, not from the trip computer.

There are some reports of people getting better mpgs with the 2.4L but I would say that i would have to see it to believe it. I'm happy that ours comes relatively close to the EPA numbers if we behave while driving it.

We have ~5500 miles.

SENT FROM A GALAXY S 4G WITH THE NIFTY AUTOGUIDE.COM APP
    Last edited by RideTheLlamababy; 05-16-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    2012 Kia Optima EX Premium Package - SWP

Lot Attendant
    My EX-Turbo went way up after a few weeks of driving but i believe that to be mostly due to adjusting to a new driving style. I was use to driving a 5 speed manual with approx 150hp and basically flooring it through the gears. No need in the Optima. Im around 21-22 in the city and easy 33-34 on the highway on 87 octane with ethanol. When they come out with the system that shuts the engine off at stop lights city drivers could see another 2-3 mpg i know i could. Ive tried it manually. I know Hyundai is working on that technology but its had some issued and delayed the release.
    Last edited by OptimaEXTurbo; 05-16-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    2011 Ex-Turbo Metal Bronze

Genesis Coupe 18inch Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires 225/45 and 245/45
    topSpot Korean Front Stut Bar
    Tint, 3.0 K badges, OEM LED Taillights, Lip Spoiler, Body Side Moldings Factory Color
    Chinese Head Unit GPS/DVD/AM-FM/Ipod/Bluetooth 8" Touch Screen
    IGO8 GPS software and maps, Back Up Camera
    Kicker KS65 speakers in doors, Rockford Fosgate 10" SubWoofer
    1500Watt BassInferno monoblock amp
    Sirius Stratus6 Tuner, LED backup and license plate bulbs

Riding Lawn Mower
    My Optima doing 26.14mpg after 2 days when i got it it was doing 15.86mpg in traffic stop and go so basically it improved alot on the highway open road i get 29.77mpg driving 120kph

OptimaForums Veteran
    I average 28-30mpg mixed with my 2.4 EX. Like others, I get around 22-24 city, 34-37 highway depending on terrain and how I drive. I can actually get 40mpg highway if I stay at or under 60mph during my 25 mile commute to work.

I drive 44 miles round trip per day with half of that freeway.. From actual gas / mileage calculations I am getting 27 mpg.. The reading in the car says 28.8. It has slowly gone up.. This is my fourth tank of gas since ownership.

SX turbo with "reasonable" driving habits

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Learner's Permit
    Finally took my car on a roadtrip this weekend. I went from NYC to Binghamton NY and back, which totaled about 400 miles.

While driving 75mph tops and having an avg speed of 67mph, I get 30mpg.
    While driving 65mph tops and having an avg speed of 60mph, I get 34.7mpg the first 195 miles, then settling on 34mpg while navigating NYC traffic.

Driving slightly slower can go a long way in extending your range.

The above mileage is waaaay better than any tank I ever got while driving in nyc, which was a top speed of 40mph, averaging 10mph, with a crap 12.4-16mpg, depending on the season. I knew driving highway will net better mileage, but more than twice the amount? Crazy.

Riding Lawn Mower
    I have 9200 miles on a '14 Optima EX. In Arizona, the air conditioner is constantly on, even in the so-called winter. With mixed city/highway driving, I've averaged from a low of 25.75 mpg to 30.25 mpg, based on gas fill ups. I did not rely on the built-in mileage display.

I find this in keeping with the EPA specs, since I've yet to do a long highway trip. The longest is 30-40 miles, followed by stop and go.

Peace,
    Gene

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements