[ALL] : Burning smell coming off the turbo
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning smell coming off the turbo

Riding Lawn Mower

Burning smell coming off the turbo

Hi All, I have briefly searched the Forum and found a couple of threads on burning smells. The smell I experienced was oil and coolant like smell, not electrical or petroleum.

Please let me set the table; I own a 2013 Sonata SE 2.0T, this morning it was -10*F in Minneapolis and while driving to work I noticed a burning smell in the cabin. I opened the window to see if it was the outside smell and it wasn't and the smell went away. About 10 minutes later it smelled again. When I got to work I popped the hood and then lifted off the engine cover and found the smell source, it appears to be coming off the turbo. I could see heat coming off the turbo and maybe a faint bit of smoke but again it was -10* so maybe just heat. I did not drive the car hard at all, maximum RPM could not have been above 4,000 because of the fear of black ice. I have never experienced this smelled before even after hard driving. On my drive home tonight it was +5*F and I did not experience the smell and believe I was waiting for it. I have 5,500 miles on the ODO thus it cannot be the machine oil used during manufacturing. My wife also complained to me about a burning smell also on a cold day but I kind of blew it off because she is always looking for something wrong, now I have to believe her because now I have experienced it. The oil was changed at 3,000 with M1 0w40, K&N oil filter and no oil was spilled in the fill up.

Anyone in cold weather states or Canada ever experience the burning smell coming off the turbo when it was bitterly cold? I know that bitterly cold temps makes cars do funny things but I have never had a turbo charged car before my Sonata.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Trim
    SX
    Sometimes I have that burning smell too but my head kept telling me its from the outside so I ignore it. After a while it doesn't come back so I assume nothing happens, I will have to keep an eye out though if that burning smell ever comes back. Sorry I couldn't help you and hopefully others will chime in to help.

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I had it and it ended up being a plastic ring clamp on the pipe above the turbo. It melted off and fell on the heat shield and always smelled when it heated up. Dealer replaced ring and heat shield.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMir View Post
    I had it and it ended up being a plastic ring clamp on the pipe above the turbo. It melted off and fell on the heat shield and always smelled when it heated up. Dealer replaced ring and heat shield.
    I was thinking something like this could be happening. I have not peered under the heat shield but I will and then maybe bring the Sonata in for a quick look by a Service Tech. Thank you for the info.

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Hope that's it since it was an easy fix. You should be able to see it easily right behind the engine cover on top of the heat shield.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Hi PatMir, where are you located, I am at Hyundai today and the Service Tech is stumped. He took the car out and did smell what I described but he cannot identify the smell. The Service Tech is going to call their helpline to see if any other cars are reporting a smell. Thank you. If you want please PM me.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Problem solved, the Service Tech took off the turbo heat shield and found unidentifiable carbon all over the turbo. Still no idea what is was but it was cleaned and ready to go. They kept the carbon ad will be reporting to Hyundai.

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0 터보 View Post
    Problem solved, the Service Tech took off the turbo heat shield and found unidentifiable carbon all over the turbo. Still no idea what is was but it was cleaned and ready to go. They kept the carbon ad will be reporting to Hyundai.
    Weird indeed, but glad they figured out what was causing the smell.

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0 터보 View Post
    Glad to hear it was something simple. Am curious where it came from and if it returns.

Certified Wrench Monkey KingFatty's Avatar
    Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    Yes it is nice to clean off the carbon deposits, but would be even better to figure out where the heck is it coming from, how it got on the turbo? Is it a gasket leak at the turbo?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements