Brake pads and rotors
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads and rotors

Riding Lawn Mower

Brake pads and rotors

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this and I hate having to keep coming here with concerns but here goes... drove my car today ('12 SX) and heard the brakes grinding a little bit. I assumed this was because they were wet as I had just washed the car. However when I got home (didn't go very far), I checked each of the rotors and found that the rear rotors had grind marks on them Bought it used a little over a month ago and it has just under 40,000 miles (which seems awfully quick for brakes to go).

I still have the bumper to bumper warranty but I'm assuming that brakes are not covered correct? If it's not, I'm going to call and complain anyway because even though it's not certified pre-owned they should have done an inspection and saw the brake pads were about to go. I've put less than 3,000 miles on it and I pretty conservatively. Assuming they don't help me out at all, I'm curious how much pads, rotors, and labor might cost for this. Thanks for all your help everyone, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Trim
    SX 2.0T
    At 40K that sounds about right for the life of the pads or rotors if they're the original ones on the car. I'm not at that point yet so I couldn't assist you with the info but hopefully other gurus will chime in to help you out.

Model
    2013 K5 SX
    Trim
    The loaded one.
    Usually you'd replace the front brakes 2-3x before replacing the rears. So either the last owner of your car left the parking brakes on for a while or had some rocks stuck between the pads and the rotors.
    I had a few rocks or snow salt get stuck between my front rotors and I have a few marks of grinding on my rotors.

If the rears are worn out because of normal wear and tear then I'd suggest to check the fronts too for wear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Thanks for the replies, is it rare to get salt or rocks in the back brake pads? I'm in PA and we've had alot of snow lately and therefore alot of salt on the roads... I looked at the fronts, the rotors looks fine and from what I can tell from just visual inspection by looking through the spaces on my rims, the pads look fine too. I was thinking the same as you @Nikko that the front brake pads would wear out way before the rears.

Model
    2013 K5 SX
    Trim
    The loaded one.
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimaPrime215 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, is it rare to get salt or rocks in the back brake pads? I'm in PA and we've had alot of snow lately and therefore alot of salt on the roads... I looked at the fronts, the rotors looks fine and from what I can tell from just visual inspection by looking through the spaces on my rims, the pads look fine too. I was thinking the same as you @Nikko that the front brake pads would wear out way before the rears.
    It isn't rare to get salt or rocks in the brake pads / calipers. I got some on mine and just minor grooving on the rotors, and I know it's rocks cause I've picked them out before when removing my lowering springs.
    Is there a way you can get a pic up for us?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Brake pads and rotors-passenger-rear-rotor.jpgBrake pads and rotors-passenger-rear-brake-pad.jpgBrake pads and rotors-driver-rear-rotor.jpgBrake pads and rotors-driver-rear-brake-pad.jpgBrake pads and rotors-driver-front-rotor.jpg

The first two are the passenger rear rotor and brake pad, the third and fourth are the driver rear rotor and brake pad (sorry the brake pad shot is bad, it was taken at a weird angle and that was the best shot I could get in the dark), and the last one is the driver front rotor just for comparison. From what I can tell the passenger rear pad looks to be in good shape and I would imagine the driver's side is the same and you can sort of see the brake pad in the pic. Let me know what you think... I drove it up and down my drive way twice just to see if it would grind and it did. Thanks for your help!

Lot Attendant
    Last year I had a similar problem with the rear passenger rotor on my car. There were deep gouges in the rotor but the pad showed no signs of rocks or debris. One dealer, Birchwood Kia where I purchased the car, refused to do anything stating that Kia would not warranty the rotor. I went to a second dealer, Winnipeg Kia, and the service writer made a few calls and got the rotor covered under warranty. At this point I had between 35-40km (20-25K miles) on my car.

Make certain the dealer contacts Kia corporate before refusing to do any work as this will likely be the first response you get. Also not sure if the rotors just don't like the salt and standard on the roads during winter and if this is causing the damage to the rotors. Any others out there with this same problem?
    2012 SWP EX Turbo
    Luxon FSB
    Injen CAI
    Karbon Koncepts stiff rings
    Tinted windows
    2way remote start
    Focal 6.5 components in front, Alpine and Audison amps with Focal sub
    Kia all weather molded mats

Model
    2013 K5 SX
    Trim
    The loaded one.
    Yeah I would have that checked out. Mine isn't that much of grooves. It's probably a defected pad or rotor. The read pads still show to be new. Probably the pads are too hard for the rotor?

Riding Lawn Mower
    I thought the same thing about the pads, I'm no mechanic but the pads look fine... Maybe when they got the car they put new pads on it before putting it on the lot, wonder why this wouldn't have happened from when I first got the car... Either way I'm raising **** at the dealer, I'm not paying for a defect or their mistake

Banned
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX - Karbon Edition
    I would drive it a few more hours. The pictures you posted are not accurate images. Your pictures are showing rust on the rotor surface itself which indicates that you had washed the vehicle and the pads have not cleaned off all the rust yet.. The last image is blurry to it's difficult to tell if they're just typical wear marks or actual grooves.

Several of these look like the pads are brand new so it's possible the previous owner had worn down the rotors and replaced the pads without turning or replacing the rotors.

Either way, we need to see some better pictures with ZERO rust on the surface to make an accurate assumption.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast