Pennzoil Ultra "SN" specs a 6.4% NOACK
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pennzoil Ultra "SN" specs a 6.4% NOACK

Pennzoil Ultra "SN" specs a 6.4% NOACK

Brand new December 2011 TDS from Shell shows the new API SN Ultra 5W-30 meeting all the high-end specs including GF-5, ACEA A5/B5-10 (site not updated to -10 spec), as well as dexos1 and Honda HTO-06 turbocharger spec I thnk they hit them all for a turbo direct injection engine. With a NOACK that low, expect reduced PCV vapors and therefore reduced valve deposit crud.

Check out this spider plot especially at the Turbo Protection level vs. GF-4. Plot fron www.gf-5.com

Last edited by Turbo Optimator; 01-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Driver's License
    That's what's pumping thru my engine....although I have to say the engine seems a bit louder with the full synthetic than it did with the dino oil. Is that Possible?
    2012 Titanium Silver SX, Technology and Premium Touring Package (10-14-11 made date 10-31-11 paid date)
    Added: 30% tint all around, mud guards, hyper white fog lights.

Im dumb. Can someone explain this better?
    2011 Kia Optima LX
    20" MSR 042 Rims//Eibach springs//OEM mudflaps//OEM DRL's//OEM foglights//OEM SX grille
    OEM LED tail lights//35w 6000k HID Low beams and Fogs
    Debadged Optima and GDI badges//"K" badges//20% Tint front/back
    LED's - map, dome, reverse, license plate and trunk//Red ring LED cup holders
    Red LED mood lights//Red programmable LED's in front and back foot wells
    x4 Zeus Hifonics ZXi63 speakers//Concept lll SRI//M&S spoiler

Driver's License
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ K5 View Post
    Im dumb. Can someone explain this better?
    Thanks for throwing it out there like that. The spider web was confusing for me too!!
    2012 Titanium Silver SX, Technology and Premium Touring Package (10-14-11 made date 10-31-11 paid date)
    Added: 30% tint all around, mud guards, hyper white fog lights.

Lot Attendant
    The further away the line is from the center the higher the rating....each "web" is a different category...for instance....the green line seems pretty great at everything since it's practically at the edge all the way around....except for the E85 category.
    2011 Optima SX - Corsa Blue - Premium/Luxury Package - Built 03/2011

A spider plot is a quick visiual for digesting statistical info. The further out a data plot in this example, the 'better' the benefit. Even though dexos1 is a GM spec, you can see that an oil meeting this spec is both hi-tech, modern and beneficial.

On the subject of NOACK, this is the percentage of oil boil-off at an elevated temperature. Turbos cook oil. Basically, the lower the NOACK %, the less the oil gets vaporized and disappears out the PCV onto your valves and intake ports. Catch cans deal with these vapors (along with blow-by).

Oil has gotten extermely complicated over the years due to emissions and now the demanding of environmental agendas to extend oil change intervals. Perhaps rightly so.

So based on the above data, what oils meet Dexos1 and which meet GF-5...anyone have a list handy? I have been using and still plan to use Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 but open to changing if there's a better option.

I just checked my garage and found the following:

1. 5W40 oils are rated differently and the GF ratings do not apply
    2. My Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 and 5W30 are GF-4
    3. My Pennzoil Platinums are GF-5

Interesting that Platinum is 5 and Ultra is 4. I heard its because it costs BIG $$$ to get these ratings and the Platinum is cheaper and more in demand so not worth it for Pennzoil to have them all certified but who really knows for sure. I would put money on the fact that Ultra is 5 compliant but hasn't been tested against those standards.
    Last edited by securityguy; 01-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    2011 Optima SX Ebony Black (June 9, 2011 Build date)
    Premium & Technology Packages
    Sport Wheels, Mud Guards & Body Side Molding
    Roadruns Custom Grill
    Injen Cold Air Intake with K&N filtered BOV Exhaust
    Saikou Michi Custom PCV Oil Catch Can
    Luxon Strut Tower Brace
    3M Clear Bra Protection with full Carbon window tint
    Continental Extreme Contact DWS High Performance All-Season Tires
    De-badged
    WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats
    LED Super White License Plate Bulbs

securityguy:
    • Here's some Amsoil info on oil ratings. Their plot shows multiple coverages. It's funny that their Signature Series 5W-30 specs look great, but not on their recommended list for the 2.0 at this time.
    • Your GF-4 Ultra is the previous version. Newest is GF-5. Maybe it's not readily available yet.
    • Here's the data sheet for Pennzoil "Platinum" SN The NOACK is at 12.5! Confusing stuff out there.

Driver's License
    Here's a thread from Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG) about the new Pennzoil Ultra (PU) specs. There's some thinking by some very bright folks from BITOG that PU may be overstating their NOACK improvement. The Product Data Sheet that Turbo Optimator linked supports that overstatement. That kind of low volatility (<9%) has only been possible with very different base stocks (Group IV or V) than what Pennzoil claims elsewhere (Grp III). Those oils (Redline and Amzoil are the most common examples) are notably more expensive.

BTW, dexos1 only applies to 5W-30 oils, and there is also dexos2 for heavier oils for diesel and European applications (where xW-40 is often spec'd). Notably, Mobil1 0W-40 is the only 0W oil that shows up on this (probably obsolete) list of dexos licensed oils.

PU is certainly an excellent oil that is reasonably priced from Walmart, and a worthy competitor to Mobil1 5W-30, but both of them are unlikely to be as low in NOACK as Redline 5W-30 (6%) or Amzoil 5W-30 (7%).

FWIW, I'm going to try RL 5W-30 (dexos1, GF-5, ACEA A3) for a few oil changes, have Used Oil Analyses (UOA) done each time, and see how it affects the gas mileage. I'm fortunate to have a local auto parts store that has RL at very reasonable price ($8.39/qt) that is competitive with Mobil1 0W-40 (a VERY well-known and excellent oil, but there's no NOACK data). Both, however, may be thicker than what we need in our 2.0T GDI motors.

Spend some time wandering around the BITOG Passenger Car Oil forum if you want to learn about the intricacies and subtle (but important to the BITOG hair-splitters) differences of motor oils. OTOH, use a 5w-30 or 5W-40 synthetic in your 2.0T GDI and change it every 5K miles with an OEM filter, and you'll probably be fine.
    2011 Spicy Red SX, Tech + Premium, 2012 Front Seats, 245/45-18 Bridgestones

11. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements