after market muffler ??
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after market muffler ??

after market muffler ??

My Kia dealership said the 7ism exhaust will void the warranty. I really want to get the invidia quad exhaust for sound and hp but i'm sure that will too. Anyone have suggestions of what muffler to use, that won't mess with the warranty? I need a good looking aftermarket exhaust to give it the nice growl. Thanks for suggestions everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

You can buy it and use it but change it out with the stock one every time you take it in for servicing?? Not sure how easy that would be or not

I don't think you can make a 4 cylinder growl. You might make it buzz louder.
    2011 Spicy Red EX with Premium Package

Riding Lawn Mower
    The exhaust could only possibly void the warranty on any parts directly impacted by the new exhaust... Search MOSS Warranty and you will find ALL kinds of info...

Bazinga!
    Model
    Optima
    Whatever your dealer said, is what they will do no matter what anyone on here tells you. If they say they will void your warranty for an aftermarket exhaust then thats what they're gonna do. Obviously they wont void your suspension, or electrical system or anything like that, but anything connected to the exhaust system including the engine. They could even void your warranty on the transmission. They will just use the excuse that the exhaust adds more hp than the tranny can handle even if it doesnt. And the moss magnuson act is not much help because its not gonna scare the dealership into not voiding it. You will have to hire very expensive lawyers to use the M&M act. most of the time its not worth the money and dealerships know that and know that most customers dont have that kind of loot laying around.

+1 Evil!

The MM act is only as good as your high priced lawyer Personally, I don't see how the exhaust could void anything but if a dealer wants to be an @$$, they can and it's easy for them too.....
    2011 Optima SX Ebony Black (June 9, 2011 Build date)
    Premium & Technology Packages
    Sport Wheels, Mud Guards & Body Side Molding
    Roadruns Custom Grill
    Injen Cold Air Intake with K&N filtered BOV Exhaust
    Saikou Michi Custom PCV Oil Catch Can
    Luxon Strut Tower Brace
    3M Clear Bra Protection with full Carbon window tint
    Continental Extreme Contact DWS High Performance All-Season Tires
    De-badged
    WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats
    LED Super White License Plate Bulbs

Well thanks for all the "heads up" and tips guys. No lawyers involved for me in the future. Maybe I will make the dealership find me a magniflow or something along that lines and have thier machanic install it to cover my ass for warranty purposes. It just that it's nice beefy looking car, and without a nice sound to it it seems like its missing.

Bazinga!
    Model
    Optima
    You could also try another dealer. Maybe you will find one that is mod friendly. We have 3 or 4 Kia stealerships in the area to choose from. Dont know about where you live though.

Learner's Permit
    In my life, I have never heard of a dealer wanting to void a warranty for an aftermarket muffler. That is insane. I have never hear that from Pontiac, Dodge, Infiniti, or even Honda - I mean, christ, what would the Civic Si boys or Mopar fans do if they couldn't have an aftermarket muffler? They'd be converging on the dealer with pitchforks and torches, out for blood!! My Kia dealer is also the local Mopar place, and they would never in a million years think of voiding the warranty for a simple aftermarket muffler, I mean it's like the law - buy a Charger and you are contractually obligated to get a new exhaust - also, what possible damage could an exhaust system do to your car? Even if you had straight pipes - They must have had too much exposure to petroleum fumes at that place - go to another dealer would be a simple fix.

The only thing I can think of is that the fancy twin scroll turbo is in a strange place on the manifold, so maybe they are worried about that??
    Last edited by ozzypriest; 11-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    2012 Optima SX Premium package snow white pearl
    -----------
    former car roll
    -----------
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Road and Track 370hp/390 tq
    2009 Infiniti G37 330hp
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT 360 hp
    2000 Honda CRV 140hp lol
    1973 Plymouth Fury 7.3 liter 340 hp

Quote Originally Posted by ozzypriest View Post
    In my life, I have never heard of a dealer wanting to void a warranty for an aftermarket muffler. That is insane. I have never hear that from Pontiac, Dodge, Infiniti, or even Honda - I mean, christ, what would the Civic Si boys or Mopar fans do if they couldn't have an aftermarket muffler? They'd be converging on the dealer with pitchforks and torches, out for blood!! My Kia dealer is also the local Mopar place, and they would never in a million years think of voiding the warranty for a simple aftermarket muffler, I mean it's like the law - buy a Charger and you are contractually obligated to get a new exhaust - also, what possible damage could an exhaust system do to your car? Even if you had straight pipes - They must have had too much exposure to petroleum fumes at that place - go to another dealer would be a simple fix.

The only thing I can think of is that the fancy twin scroll turbo is in a strange place on the manifold, so maybe they are worried about that??
    Ya I have that same feeling you have. I will call another dealer and ask. If they really want my business then they will work with me. I found that out with the 2011 WRXs. I called one they said no to aftermarket, I called another, they said sure go ahead. Think tomorrow I will call around.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements