ESC Light Stays On
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ESC Light Stays On

Riding Lawn Mower

ESC Light Stays On

Anybody else had this problem? Just started last night.

The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) light came on while I was driving and stayed on. This morning, same thing, so I checked the manual. It says that the "ESC" and "ESC Off" indicator lights should come on when the engine starts (during the system check), which it has always done. Then the ESC light should go off and the "ESC Off" light should go on and then off after 3 seconds. While driving, if the car senses the need, the "ESC" light will blink off and on when the system is engaged, i.e. when the ESC is automatically activated. When its on, you can turn ESC off by pushing the "ESC off" button.

My ESC light stays on solid, and if I push the ESC off button it lights up and they both stay on.

I have the factory wheels and tires (Nexen 225/45/R18) and normal tire pressure (33 PSI warm) in all 4 tires.
    2011 Optima EX Luxury - Platinum Graphite (May/2011 Build date)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lube Jockey
    I would check with the dealer as soon as possible.

It could be a bad light or it could be engaged when it isn't necessary and that could be dangerous or damaging to the system.

2013 Optima Hybrid Premium Package SWP w/Tan Interior
    17" MB Sprite Wheels, Continental Extreme Contact Tires, WeatherTech Rain Vents
    WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3M Bra w/Door Edge Guards, Body Side Molding
    Sides and rear window tint @ 15% - Front and Pano Air Blue 80, Livue LB100 dash camera

NOT AN AUTHORIZED VENDOR loman4ec's Avatar
    I have had this happen 4 times to me. Have you changed the rear tail lights to LED's? That is one thing that will do it. Also a blown fuse in many different circuits does this as well. I was told that the ESC light is basically a check engine light for less serious things. Many things will trip it. If you changed your tail lights switch them back and it will fix the problem. After that I would check every fuse.

Model
    2011 K5 2.0T
    Trim
    SX W/Premium
    If the light is on, then there will be a diagnostic code than can be read to tell you why. I would take it up to the dealer.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Thanks for the input everyone.

loman, no I haven't done any mods to my Optima. I guess I'm a boring, conservative kind of owner.

Munky/remltr, I'm calling the dealer service department as soon as they open this morning to get the car in today if possible.

Riding Lawn Mower
    leapfrog, did you find anything out? I just had my ESC light come on yesterday and I haven't done any modifications to my car either. I started it this morning and it did not turn back on.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Happened to me two days ago, so I came here to check. No mods on my car. I have 10K miles on it, so I am going to schedule a visit.

#2 thing is that my car doesn't always start when I press brake and push the ignition. It seems to have something with the brake because it gives me a message about pressing the brake pedal, even though I am. I will look around this forum in the meantime.

the light is caused bu the brake light switch inop or going out please test with scan tool and look for code c1513

Riding Lawn Mower
    Took it into the dealer weeks ago and they ran the diagnostics. Everything was okay, no blown fuses, etc., so they put some stickum of some sort on the wiring and it hasn't been a problem since.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Happened to me on another vehicule last year: it was iced slush rubbing on one of the tires which fooled the stability control electronics. Put the car in heated garage and it just came off
    2011 Ebony Black Optima SX (07 build)
    Nokian 215/55R17 Hakkapeliitta 7 studded
    Michelin 235/45/18 Pilot Super Sport

Fast Wheels F86 17" winter mags
    KIA/WeatherTech Digital Fit mats/ Cargo Liner
    SAA Chrome side vents trim
    3M Ultimate Kit Scotchguard Clear Film protection
    5W30 M1 synthetic

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements