Fuel Tank Capacity
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Capacity

Question Fuel Tank Capacity

I bought my 2011 Optima EX Turbo in July '11 and am very pleased with its performance. Drove it from Cordova, TN to Granisle, BC, Canada and back and it gave us a wonderful trip, although the seats could use more cushion. The only thing I've noticed is that the fuel tank tops off at a maximum of 15-1/2 gals of gas in the 18.49 gal capacity fuel tank. This is with the "miles to empty" showing less than 30 - just over one gal remaining. Anybody have a similar experience and/or know why this is? Is there a reserve of about 3 gals? Or could my fuel level gauge be in need of adjustment?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran aflacattack's Avatar
    yea... as a matter of fact this has already been discussed... why does fuel pump "click" off... basically there is too much back pressure causing the pump to shut off 3 gallons too soon... I recommend not pumping at the highest setting.
    loaded 11' platinum graphite SX (build date 3/11), 30% tints, 3.0 k-badge, k5 badge, Remote start w/ factory key FOB, LED stage 2, LED DRL, LED switchbacks, 6000k low & fog, led door handle, Injen, led bumper reflector, k5 door scuff, power folding mirror w/ auto fold.

Thats because the "miles til empty" gauge is a built in idiot saver. It calculates with several gallons of gas left in the tank, probably about 3 or 4 gallons. This is to keep people from running the tank completely dry.
    No more Optima. Back in a truck. Its been real...DIY Catch Can | DIY Rear Seat Removal | DIY Spring Swap

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

actually I ran my tank till it can't calculate anymore and it still shut off 3 gallons too soon. the Kia service writer were both shocked to see it.
    loaded 11' platinum graphite SX (build date 3/11), 30% tints, 3.0 k-badge, k5 badge, Remote start w/ factory key FOB, LED stage 2, LED DRL, LED switchbacks, 6000k low & fog, led door handle, Injen, led bumper reflector, k5 door scuff, power folding mirror w/ auto fold.

On a few recent trips, I let it get down to 80 on both occasions and it only took 13.5 gallons and the gauge showed it was 100% full. I wondered about this myself. I am going to try and see how much I can actually get into the tank by slowly pumping after it shuts off.
    2011 Optima SX Ebony Black (June 9, 2011 Build date)
    Premium & Technology Packages
    Sport Wheels, Mud Guards & Body Side Molding
    Roadruns Custom Grill
    Injen Cold Air Intake with K&N filtered BOV Exhaust
    Saikou Michi Custom PCV Oil Catch Can
    Luxon Strut Tower Brace
    3M Clear Bra Protection with full Carbon window tint
    Continental Extreme Contact DWS High Performance All-Season Tires
    De-badged
    WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats
    LED Super White License Plate Bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by aflacattack View Post
    actually I ran my tank till it can't calculate anymore and it still shut off 3 gallons too soon. the Kia service writer were both shocked to see it.
    Your post exactly proves Fond's point. If it cut off 3 gallons short when you filled, this would imply there was still 3 gallons left in the tank even though your computer showed empty. This would keep you from running out of gas (hopefully no one would drive 60 miles even when the tank shows empty)
    ___SOLD - 2011 Optima LX Bright Silver Metallic, Convenience Package w/Remote Start___
    ___PURCHASED - 2014 Mustang V6 Oxford White, 6-speed Manual Transmission___

forgot to mention that the service writter and I was able to get the 3 gallons...

Its so you wont run your car out of gas, if you lose pressure in the Direct Injection system you are screwed, plus it also to keep the fuel pump in the tank submerged.

Learner's Permit
    Quote Originally Posted by Phife9355 View Post
    Its so you wont run your car out of gas, if you lose pressure in the Direct Injection system you are screwed, plus it also to keep the fuel pump in the tank submerged.
    more screwed then regular running out of gas?
    2011 Kia Optima EX
    Ebony Black
    Premium Package

Quote Originally Posted by Phife9355 View Post
    Agreed. +1
    '11 Corsa Blue SX

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast