Verdict on 2016+ 'detuned' 2.0T engines
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Verdict on 2016+ 'detuned' 2.0T engines

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL

Verdict on 2016+ 'detuned' 2.0T engines

Read several long threads, most with a last post in 2015 and 2016, so rather than reviving them and get slapped, decided to start a new one. Now I'm aware of the 'older' 274HP engine issues, but almost no info on the new 'detuned' engines on our 2016 and newer SXs. Hope they're very reliable now that Hyundais ran it for a year, especially in fully stock form, like I'll keep mine. Anyway, besides reliability comments you may have, I have a few questions:

1. Any power benefits using premium fuel? I'm using Shell regular fuel since new, now with 1,200 miles on the clock.
    2. Should we use Mobil1 0/40 year-round in mild winter states like TX, where it seldom freezes? And is it a good idea under warranty? Manual doesn't mention 0/40. I know it's actually better than 5/40, which is mentioned, but with lawyers, you never know. Even with full synthetic oil, I'll still change it every 5K miles, like the manual says.
    3. Is it necessary to run a catch-can on these revised engines when they're seldom going to be run hard, as in high-rpm?
    4. Not engine related, but does anybody know if the 2016 SXL has the 'SX light' or 'SX standard' steering programming? Seems quite light, even in sport mode. Just curious. My Porsche has the light steering (PS+), but this one is like 10 times lighter.

I think that's it for now. I'd have liked to have the 274HP when needed, but not at the expense of engine longevity. So I'm okay with just 245. It's still at the upper end of the spectrum on 2.0L engines, so not a big deal. Engine doesn't feel that powerful at lower rpm, but I haven't floored it yet. Does it make the power Kia claims? Just curious. What I wish is Kia put a better transmission on this thing. It SUCKS. It's super laggy, especially when cold, and on the 1-2 downshift. And even in sport mode, it refuses to downshift even at heavy throttle openings and well below 2K rpm, lugging the crap out of the engine. Since I'm used to always drive my sports cars with the paddles, that's what I mostly do on this car, although it's not nearly as satisfying (this is my travel car). Bottom line is tranny should downshift more readily, even in normal mode. Upshifts are nicely delayed in sport mode, but downshifts are the opposite. Is there a cure? Thanks gang.

---------- Post added 04-19-2017 at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-18-2017 at 10:48 PM ----------

Just saw the new engine recall, and the newest manufacturing date was 05/14, and my car is 09/16, so I should be in the clear on that front. Just wondering if I should stick with the recommended 5/30 oil (M1), or use the M1 0/40 I use on the Porsche, based on higher turbo temperatures. Have both. Although 0/40 is theoretically better than 5/40, the fact it's not mentioned makes me lean towards the 5/30. And since I have to change it every 5K miles to comply with the warranty, it shouldn't be an issue. I'm not going to drive this car hard, but will see lots of traveling (that's what it's for), and sometimes fully loaded. Hope to hear from the experts here. Thx.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Also curious if there's a need for a catch-can (OCC) on these redesigned engines. Thx.
    Last edited by elp_jc; 04-19-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Look for the post with pictures of what was in my OCC after just a couple thousand miles (2016 SXL). Seeing that gunk convinced me it's worth it.

I don't care one bit about the lower peak horsepower, more power at lower RPM, where it's actually useful, is more important I think. The 2.0T has plenty of power.

I've been running Mobil1 5-30, but I bought some Castrol synth 5-40 because I had some VW dealer credit I needed to use (from our now bought back TDI).
    2016 Optima SXL

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Hey Scotte, could you please post a link to your thread? Couldn't find anything after searching with your handle. Curious to see your installation. I want it to look like factory; hopefully somebody sells such bolt-on deal. Thought my days of OCC were over after my last Corvette, but guess not. May I ask you if you drive your car hard constantly, or mostly not? Supposedly 2016s had a redesigned (as in better) PCV system, but apparently not. Finally, please let me know how you like the 5/40 oil. I have enough 5/30 left for the Optima, but only like 3 qts of 0/40, so will probably use 5/30 this first oil change at 3K miles. Might be just a bit later than that, due to a trip to Vegas next week. I'm at 1,300 now.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I have did some research into why KIA have switched over to the smaller turbo unit and noticed that Mitsubishi also discontinued using the larger turbo TD04-19T unit(used in the 2011-2015 Optima) in the Lancer EVO models in 2016 near the same time that the 2015 Hyundai Sonata gained the smaller turbo and later the 2016 Optima. Therefore, I am thinking that KIA/Hyundai are using a different turbo supplier(Borg Warner maybe) than Mitsubishi since Mitsubishi is not producing the larger TD04-19T for the Lancer it seems since the EVO model is discontinued. The Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 or 2.4 engines do not have any turbo engines as of 2017.

So the use of the smaller turbo may have nothing to do with reliability of the engine, but a possible supply issue from Mitsubishi as well as other reasons stated by KIA. The good news is that most likely the 2018-2019 Optima 2.0T will get a 8-speed automatic that could boost performance of the current engine by using better gearing to make it as quick or even quicker than the older 2011-2015 Optimas with the larger turbo.

To answer one of your questions premium gas does help the older turbo engines performance a tad better in my opinion, but it is a topic that have mixed opinions since some owners claim that premium gas does not help the turbo engine all. The best method to find out is for you to try using premium gas yourself and see if it makes a difference that you can notice in your 2016 engine.
    Last edited by carguy75; 04-21-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: grammar/info
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy75 View Post
    I have did some research into why KIA have switched over to the smaller turbo unit and noticed that Mitsubishi also discontinued using the larger turbo TD04-19T unit(used in the 2011-2015 Optima) in the Lancer EVO models in 2016 near the same time that the 2015 Hyundai Sonata gained the smaller turbo and later the 2016 Optima. Therefore, I am thinking that KIA/Hyundai are using a different turbo supplier(Borg Warner maybe) than Mitsubishi since Mitsubishi is not producing the larger TD04-19T for the Lancer it seems since the EVO model is discontinued. The Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 or 2.4 engines do not have any turbo engines as of 2017.

So the use of the smaller turbo may have nothing to do with reliability of the engine, but a possible supply issue from Mitsubishi as well as other reasons stated by KIA. The good news is that most likely the 2018-2019 Optima 2.0T will get a 8-speed automatic that could boost performance of the current engine by using better gearing to make it as quick or even quicker than the older 2011-2015 Optimas with the larger turbo.

To answer one of your questions premium gas does help the older turbo engines performance a tad better in my opinion, but it is a topic that have mixed opinions since some owners claim that premium gas does not help the turbo engine all. The best method to find out is for you to try using premium gas yourself and see if it makes a difference that you can notice in your 2016 engine.
    Thats some good research and very interesting.
    2014 Optima SX Turbo, graphite, stock

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    I haven't found the thread with my pics, but here's another one and my contents looked the same Mishimoto Baffled OCC

I don't drive all that hard, but it's fun to hammer down once in awhile.

On the oil - I've never noticed any difference with different oils in my optima, just prefer to run full synthetic in a turbo mill. I became convinced of this about 20 years ago when I had an '81 280ZXT.
    2016 Optima SXL

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    1. Any power benefits using premium fuel? I'm using Shell regular fuel since new, now with 1,200 miles on the clock.
    On my 2015 Optima, it made 10whp more on 91 than 87, tested 1 tank of gas and 260miles apart. The dyno runs with 91 octane had 2-3* more timing, which is what I equate to the power difference.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6_Keith View Post
    On my 2015 Optima, it made 10whp more on 91 than 87, tested 1 tank of gas and 260miles apart. The dyno runs with 91 octane had 2-3* more timing, which is what I equate to the power difference.
    Wonder if it's the same with the newer (detuned) engines. Kia might have messed with the ECU too; who knows. But at least we know premium does make a difference with the 274HP engines. For what I recall, if the car doesn't say 'premium fuel recommended', the ECU does not compensate for premium fuel. If it says 'premium fuel required', it requires premium, or engine damage may occur with prolonged used of it. And since my '16 SXL says nothing, then I think it doesn't compensate. Do older 274HP SXs say anything?
    Last edited by elp_jc; 04-21-2017 at 01:48 PM.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    Wonder if it's the same with the newer (detuned) engines. Kia might have messed with the ECU too; who knows. But at least we know premium does make a difference with the 274HP engines. For what I recall, if the car doesn't say 'premium fuel recommended', the ECU does not compensate for premium fuel. If it says 'premium fuel required', it requires premium, or engine damage may occur with prolonged used of it. And since my '16 SXL says nothing, then I think it doesn't compensate. Do older 274HP SXs say anything?
    They do not say anything. The 10HP difference between 87 octane and 93 octane would be barely "butt dyno" noticeable but present. For sure, it would help protect against detonation and the nasty damage it can do (especially to cylinder #2).
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 60K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    They don't say anything about running higher octane fuel, but as with many newer cars, the ECU's have programming to take advantage of addition spark advance until it sees knock activity, then will back it down to a less aggressive spark table if that activity is constantly present.

13. The Following User Says Kudos to WS6_Keith For This Useful Post:

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread