Is this a good deal?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL

Is this a good deal?

Local mechanic will charge me 80 cash for oil change on 2.0 turbo engine...(2016) he uses oil called liqui moly 5w40 full synthetic. I'm currently using total ineo 5w30 mc3 full synthetic with oem filter...he says he can get me a denso filter or oem choice is mine he says denso is better....anyone use this oil and have any suggestions ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    kia optima
    Model
    2011 optima lx
    Trim
    lx
    I think that's about on par. I do my own with full synthetic and Mobil 1 filter and it's $35.

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    If you don't have the OEM filter, the dealership can try to use it against you. "Oh, you want us to fix your broken radio? Well, we saw you are using an aftermarket filter, so we think that caused the radio to break, sorry we won't cover the radio anymore."

Also, it always blows my mind how a garage will charge totally different prices for oil changes, depending on whether conventional vs semi-synth vs full synth. I understand charging more to cover the price of the more expensive oil, but why charge way way more than the difference in oil price when it's the exact same labor and work? If the difference in price of oil is $10, then the difference in price for the oil change with the different oils should also be $10. But no, they charge like $40 more, just to cover the $10 price difference? Hmm.

But the point remains about the filter. It doesn't matter how good the aftermarket filters are. If you use aftermarket, you are exposing yourself to unnecessary risk when it comes to warranty coverage.

5. The Following User Says Kudos to KingFatty For This Useful Post:

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
    If you don't have the OEM filter, the dealership can try to use it against you. "Oh, you want us to fix your broken radio? Well, we saw you are using an aftermarket filter, so we think that caused the radio to break, sorry we won't cover the radio anymore."

Also, it always blows my mind how a garage will charge totally different prices for oil changes, depending on whether conventional vs semi-synth vs full synth. I understand charging more to cover the price of the more expensive oil, but why charge way way more than the difference in oil price when it's the exact same labor and work? If the difference in price of oil is $10, then the difference in price for the oil change with the different oils should also be $10. But no, they charge like $40 more, just to cover the $10 price difference? Hmm.

But the point remains about the filter. It doesn't matter how good the aftermarket filters are. If you use aftermarket, you are exposing yourself to unnecessary risk when it comes to warranty coverage.
    Yea, Iv heard a few stories regarding the filter. Just be safe and go OEM.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimaInThe6 View Post
    Local mechanic will charge me 80 cash for oil change on 2.0 turbo engine...(2016) he uses oil called liqui moly 5w40 full synthetic. I'm currently using total ineo 5w30 mc3 full synthetic with oem filter...he says he can get me a denso filter or oem choice is mine he says denso is better....anyone use this oil and have any suggestions ?
    Sounds about right. It cost about $30-50 for about 5 quarts of good synthetic oil and an OEM oil filter when you do it yourself.

The mechanic will charge you for his/her labor and a slight up-charge on parts/material used to remain in business plus a used oil disposal fee, so it sound about fair in my opinion. I would just stick with the OEM oil filter.

I never used Liquid Moly oil but it has a strong following in Europe with Audi,BMW,Mercedes owners.
    Last edited by carguy75; 04-18-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Let Me Analyze Your Lube
    Year
    Make
    Forte
    Model
    Kia Forte SX Sedan
    Trim
    SX
    "Used oil disposal fee" is hilarious to me. They actually get PAID to dispose of the used oil. Currently the price is right at 90 cents per gallon. When oil prices go up. the price goes up with it. I've seen it as high as $1.70 per gallon of used oil. Pick up 500 gallons and they made $500+.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    SX Turbo
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Good to know about the OE oil filter.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimaInThe6 View Post
    Hey. I'm just north of the city. Your price is decent for the area. I buy my oem filter from the dealership, (helps with keeping records and I agree with using oem filters) Mobil 1 when on sale at Canadian Tire (34.99 for 5.4 litres) and have my neighbour (mechanic) change it for 10 bucks. So, 8 for the filter, 30 or so for the oil and 10 for the oil change...$48 and a tall boy.
    2014 Optima SX Turbo, graphite, stock

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    That's awesome I'm currently running TOTAL QUARTZ ineo mc3 full synthetic I don't seem to like it that much actually I've done further research and the oil to be used on my car is TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 HKS G-310
    I'm currently talking to a shop in Brampton that might be able to order it. That's the original oil that the car comes with from factory. I will just buy the oem filters from the dealer it's only 8 bucks and that way they can't say anything. I got the total oil from him for 35 bucks for 5L jug it's definitely worth it.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
    The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prevents dealerships from doing this exact thing. If a dealer tries to tell you this, it is in direct violation of federal law. They have to be able to prove that whatever aftermarket part you installed directly caused the issue. Since the oil filter and the radio are in no way connected, that situation could not happen.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast