Fuel dilution
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel dilution

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Opta SXL

Fuel dilution

I was hoping you guys can help me on my situation. I have a 2014 SXL 2.0 and have 30k miles on the car. I did an oil change at 4,818mi. Was running Amsoil SS 5w-30. I sent the sample off to 2 different analyzers. I have used Blackstone for all of my tests and love their service. This time I wanted to see what oil analyzers test showed. This is very first test on this used car I purchased.
    The issue is that 1 test showed .5% fuel and the other showed >5.0%. Huge difference!!.
    Both did report 8.7 for viscosity @100C. So the oil is diluted and below the 5w-30 range. All wear metals are very good and no other issue were found. I couldn't smell gas in the oil but ir seemed a little on the thin side so when I changed it I went with 5w-40. Happy I did!
    So the question is, which test do I believe and do you think there is a fuel issue with my car? And why are the test results so different?
    Last edited by Runner3264; 01-06-2017 at 12:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Thanks for the information.

I was not even aware that there was other oil analyzers available to the general public.

I have only heard about Black Stone in all the forums I visited.

Direct injection does add a lot of fuel to the oil, more than port injection from what I read.

The issues with so much fuel in the cylinders is that the fuel can actually wash the oil film off the piston walls when using oils that are not very resistant to fuel dilution in addition to the fuel that get back into the oil pan which dilutes the entire oil supply.

These oil test I believe do not really tell us that our engine components are experiencing additional wear from not being lubricated properly unless the damage is very severe.

Unless, the oil testing companies has done baseline testing on these engines with an engine with proper maintenance to really say what number is good number for metal wear in these particular engines.

I am not sure that they really know if our engines are wearing more with these longer oil changes they keep recommending in every report I read.

Every test I have seen on these engine from Black Stone recommend that the oil can go longer, even though the oil is diluted in the report and not actually the weight it should be for these engines.

So I believe that they are just going by the fact that the oil is still marginally lubricating the engine even though the oil weight is not correct.

I will only use these test results to determine if the oil is maintaining it original viscosity, not as an indicator of my engine health.

If my test results show that oil is still a 5w-40 oil at 3k miles then i would be very pleased and continue on doing what i am doing even if the company say that I can go 10k miles on the oil.
    Last edited by carguy75; 01-06-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: grammar
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Opta SXL
    The other company that does oil analysis is Oil Analyzers Inc., I think they have a link from the Amsoil website. They were the company showing >5% fuel compared to Blackstone's .5%. I hear of our engines getting some dilution with fuel. It appears that the oil was still protecting the engine because wear numbers are low. And going to 5w-40 oil should be able to fight off some dilution and keep the viscosity in good range.
    What I am concerned about is which test to believe and do I actually have a engine problem. 5% fuel seems quite high. The car is mostly run on the highway and usually an hour trip. Not many short trips and the engine was run more than 20 minutes before the sample was taken

Quote Originally Posted by carguy75 View Post
    Thanks for the information.

I was not even aware that there was other oil analyzers available to the general public.

I have only heard about Black Stone in all the forums I visited.

Direct injection does add a lot of fuel to the oil, more than port injection from what I read.

The issues with so much fuel in the cylinders is that the fuel can actually wash the oil film off the piston walls when using oils that are not very resistant to fuel dilution in addition to the fuel that get back into the oil pan which dilutes the entire oil supply.

These oil test I believe do not really tell us that our engine components are experiencing additional wear from not being lubricated properly unless the damage is very severe.

Unless, the oil testing companies has done baseline testing on these engines with an engine with proper maintenance to really say what number is good number for metal wear in these particular engines.

I am not sure that they really know if our engines are wearing more with these longer oil changes they keep recommending in every report I read.

Every test I have seen on these engine from Black Stone recommend that the oil can go longer, even though the oil is diluted in the report and not actually the weight it should be for these engines.

So I believe that they are just going by the fact that the oil is still marginally lubricating the engine even though the oil weight is not correct.

I will only use these test results to determine if the oil is maintaining it original viscosity, not as an indicator of my engine health.

If my test results show that oil is still a 5w-40 oil at 3k miles then i would be very pleased and continue on doing what i am doing even if the company say that I can go 10k miles on the oil.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner3264 View Post
    The other company that does oil analysis is Oil Analyzers Inc., I think they have a link from the Amsoil website. They were the company showing >5% fuel compared to Blackstone's .5%. I hear of our engines getting some dilution with fuel. It appears that the oil was still protecting the engine because wear numbers are low. And going to 5w-40 oil should be able to fight off some dilution and keep the viscosity in good range.
    What I am concerned about is which test to believe and do I actually have a engine problem. 5% fuel seems quite high. The car is mostly run on the highway and usually an hour trip. Not many short trips and the engine was run more than 20 minutes before the sample was taken
    I am about to change the oil in my car soon and will be going from M1 0W-40 to the newer M1 0W-40 "FS" oil. I have both my Blackstone and Amsoil kits and will sample the oil and send to both for analysis. Just make sure you drive your car at least 20 miles before you do the oil change (always do the change with the oil and engine at operating temperature) in order to get an accurate sample (and not a "cold sample"). This was according to Blackstone Labs. Anyway, I too am concerned about fuel dilution in my oil and do the OCI every 4K miles anyway (and have two OCCs installed). I'll report what I get back when I do this test.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 57K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost tune, Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, 3/8" Magnefine Trans filter, PIAA Sports Horns, Fumoto Qwik-Valve, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), HKS M40XL Plugs, OEM fender "Turbo" badges, Ultra Racing FSTB, Nameless MM/MP/CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Eibach Pro-Kit w/TruHart, Advanti Kudos rims

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    You know how engineers typically over-engineer things - is that true for oil viscosity? I wonder if the car is designed to have a tolerance for a certain amount of dilution? Like do they expect, because it's direct injection, that the engine will be safe even if you have say up to 5% dilution? Like how they specify a certain viscosity with the understanding that there is some wiggle room?

I just wonder if the car is designed to run with the viscosity gradually decreasing over time, and they know already this will happen and tell you to change your oil at 5K because that's like the point where you are getting diluted enough to be close to the point of starting to be concerned about the dilution? It just seems pretty hardcore if they designed the engine with 5W-30 and any dilution below that causes harm?

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
    You know how engineers typically over-engineer things - is that true for oil viscosity? I wonder if the car is designed to have a tolerance for a certain amount of dilution? Like do they expect, because it's direct injection, that the engine will be safe even if you have say up to 5% dilution? Like how they specify a certain viscosity with the understanding that there is some wiggle room?

I just wonder if the car is designed to run with the viscosity gradually decreasing over time, and they know already this will happen and tell you to change your oil at 5K because that's like the point where you are getting diluted enough to be close to the point of starting to be concerned about the dilution? It just seems pretty hardcore if they designed the engine with 5W-30 and any dilution below that causes harm?
    Hey that could be possible.

However, i really do not think that would be the cause.

You may be right about the engineers considering the possibility of the engine running with a lighter weight oil, but the bean-counters at KIA most likely put a stop to what ever extra measure they would have used to protect the engine from damage to save money.

Hence why KIA gives an oil chart in the owners manual with different acceptable oil weights that specifies that the thicker oil approved in the chart protects better.
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2013 Optima SXL
    Trim
    Optima SXL
    I'm planning on running Amsoil 5w40 euro on my next OCI. Will see what blackstone results show. While Amsoil SS 5w30 is a great oil, I can't justify the cost vs OCI in using SS. But oil analysis could show different...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Opta SXL
    The main reason I went to 40 weight. Should help with the fuel dilution. I would like to resolve why that much fuel. Looking for a response from someone on here. I contacted Blackstone and awaiting their response as to why they only show fuel at .5% compared to Oil Analyzers.

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy75 View Post
    Hence why KIA gives an oil chart in the owners manual with different acceptable oil weights that specifies that the thicker oil approved in the chart protects better.
    I don't remember, but doesn't it say either is fine? I sure don't recall feeling like I should get the thicker oil. "Thicker is better" - that's what she said, not what the manual said...?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Opta SXL
    Since Kia recommends 5w-30 and 5w-40 both are adequate for protection. Due to recommendations from people on this site and the issue of fuel dilution on GDI engines along with being a turbo. I chose to go with the 40 weight. My analysis showed my viscosity heading into the 20 weight range. And this is on Amsoil Sig series oil.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast