[ALL] : Engine Failures - Share Your Experience - Page 32
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Engine Failures - Share Your Experience

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseDrink View Post
    Well thought I'd pitch in:

2012 Optima SX, 65000km
    Injen intake, Warner intercooler, OCC's, BTR tune, turbo-back 3" exhaust

Cruising at 100km/h at about 2000RPM, engine suddenly started getting a hesitation. Worstened until I reached next gas station, pulled over.

Turns out a piston ring in Cylinder 2 lost a chunk into the oil pan. No compression.

The remaining ring chowdered up the bore, so I needed a new short block.

No warranty, due to the above mods. Additionally, since the failure came neither from oil starvation or the bearing issues, they couldn't swing a claim for me.

Ended up sourcing a used 2014 engine from a wreck with 24,000km on it.

Engine + labour for KIA to install was about $5000 all in.

I believe the problem to have lied with the exhaust, as the engine was prone to over-boost conditions with the less restrictive exhaust. I was actually running about 2-3psi more boost than I thought, so it was probably a failure from that + high compression? Who knows. Stock exhaust is back on and no problems since.

Lessons learned! Pictures here: Engine Replacement 2017 - Album on Imgur
    That sucks that your engine failed and you have to pay out of pocket to replace it.

It sounds like you have this engine maxed out power wise.

You must have been making well over 300hp on stock 2.0 turbo engine, however KIA did not build these engine to handle that kind of power for longevity like Mitsubishi did with the twin version of this engine in the EVO.

2-3 psi of extra boost equals to about 20 or more horsepower plus extra heat and stress on the engine.

The engine bearings can barely hold up in stock form with the marginal maintenance requirements specified by KIA.

I can imagine how the rest of the engine handles been pushed pass it limits like in your situation with over boosting and power mods.
    Last edited by carguy75; 03-20-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: info
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia Optima
    Model
    2012 SX
    Trim
    SX
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy75 View Post
    That sucks that your engine failed and you have to pay out of pocket to replace it.

It sounds like you have this engine maxed out power wise.

You must have been making well over 300hp on stock 2.0 turbo engine, however KIA did not build these engine to handle that kind of power for longevity like Mitsubishi did with the twin version of this engine in the EVO.

2-3 psi of extra boost equals to about 20 or more horsepower plus extra heat and stress on the engine.

The engine bearings can barely hold up in stock form with the marginal maintenance requirements specified by KIA.

I can imagine how the rest of the engine handles been pushed pass it limits like in your situation with over boosting and power mods.
    Yep, was putting down 280hp/325lb-ft at the wheels. So maybe like 325/350 crank? Shame the piston rings were the weakest link!

Another one down....

2011 EX (non-turbo)
    83,000 miles (original owner)
    Driving along at 50 MPH, engine started hesitating before losing power. Never stalled. During tows, car started right away but was knocking like crazy.
    Had to authorize dealer to drop oil pan. One day later was informed KIA would warranty a new engine, but I was never given a diagnosis.
    Car was maintained a private garage (I gave copies of all receipts to dealer when the car was towed)
    KIA did not approve rental/loaner
    Due to pick up car this afternoon (at dealer since Friday 3/10).

A relative had the engine in his 2014 non-turbo EX replaced last year at 14,000 miles under warranty. In his case, the issue was a sporadic oil light, though level was fine. Dealer contacted KIA who directed some teardown investigation before sending replacement engine. That dealer provided a loaner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2013 SXL
    Seems like the BTR tune was the main factor. do you agree?

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseDrink View Post
    Well thought I'd pitch in:

2012 Optima SX, 65000km
    Injen intake, Warner intercooler, OCC's, BTR tune, turbo-back 3" exhaust

Cruising at 100km/h at about 2000RPM, engine suddenly started getting a hesitation. Worstened until I reached next gas station, pulled over.

Turns out a piston ring in Cylinder 2 lost a chunk into the oil pan. No compression.

The remaining ring chowdered up the bore, so I needed a new short block.

No warranty, due to the above mods. Additionally, since the failure came neither from oil starvation or the bearing issues, they couldn't swing a claim for me.

Ended up sourcing a used 2014 engine from a wreck with 24,000km on it.

Engine + labour for KIA to install was about $5000 all in.

I believe the problem to have lied with the exhaust, as the engine was prone to over-boost conditions with the less restrictive exhaust. I was actually running about 2-3psi more boost than I thought, so it was probably a failure from that + high compression? Who knows. Stock exhaust is back on and no problems since.

Lessons learned! Pictures here: Engine Replacement 2017 - Album on Imgur
    Wouldn't the 3' exhaust (with it being less restrictive than say 2.25/2.5) be a good thing for over boost?

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Long post. Sorry......

My mom bought a new Optima EX 2.4L back in 2012. Up until now, she has loved the car. She went from a BMW to this and was impressed with what she got for the money.

Fast forward to Tuesday, March 14, 2017, she was driving about 20 mph in traffic and the engine died. No odd noises, check engine light, etc.. Just died. She tried to restart it, but got nothing. She also told me that she saw a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood, and smelled an electrical smell.

After some googling, I found this site and saw that many others experienced this same problem. Seized engine. She had it towed to the dealership and got a rental that Tuesday night.

Her car had 56,000 miles on it after about four years and eight months of owning it. She was still within the 5 year, 60K bumper to bumper. She got a call the next day (Wednesday) from Kia who said the engine was seized, the starter was fried, and they would open a ticket with Kia to see if it would be covered. She changed the oil every 3k miles, but not at a Kia dealership. Later that afternoon, she got another call saying the warranty replacement was approved and the long block would be there the next day (Thursday). The long block arrived the next day and she was told her car would be done the following day (Friday).

Sure enough, Kia called her on Friday morning telling her the car was done. They replaced the long block, starter, and intake manifold (per the invoice, due to metal shavings in the oil pan), all under warranty. I don't know what the shavings in the oil pan would have to do with the intake manifold, but obviously we're not complaining. Maybe because the PCV system could have circulated metal debris into it? I'm sure there was a good amount of carbon buildup in it anyway.

They also replaced the ECU under some service campaign. I couldn't believe that her warranty claim took less than 72 hours from tow to dealership to her picking it up. That was amazing. They also covered the rental charges (as they should have).

What surprised me was that they did not request oil change/maintenance receipts. It didn't matter as she had them; I was just surprised they didn't ask.

I am now on my third Coyote Mustang, and when the Coyotes fail, warranty claims usually take around three weeks (if covered at all. Most Coyotes that fail are tuned, and therefore, have the warranty voided.)

Now on to my question- have the replacement long blocks been revised to stop this from happening in the future? If not, she will probably trade it in. She just won't feel comfortable keeping it if that could essentially happen again at any time with no warning.

Thanks, and sorry again for the long post. I created a new thread in this subforum for this, but it isn't showing up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.
    Last edited by daustin; 03-26-2017 at 10:31 AM.

8. The Following User Says Kudos to daustin For This Useful Post:

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    Another one bites the dust....

Year: 2012, Make: Kia, Model: Optima, Trim: SX
    - Engine/Performance Mods: None
    - Mileage at the time of failure: 86k
    - Determined cause of engine failure: Officially undetermined as of now, dealership agreed that it sounded like a thrown rod
    - Was proper maintenance performed? Oil/filter every 3k miles, without fail
    - Was it covered under warranty? Undetermined
    - Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Not until claim is approved
    - What was the outcome? Unresolved

100% stock, no mods

Heading home from work on Thursday 3/23, no sign of any issues until I noticed a slight lack of power trying to pass someone on the highway about 5 minutes before my exit. As the engine revved down on the off-ramp, I heard the dreaded knocking. Accelerating from the stop light at the end off the off-ramp brought a loud knocking, increasing with RPM. Luckily it did not seize, and I was able to make it back to my driveway, although it did stall twice before I got home. Pulled over and was able to re-start, each time the noise getting worse.

I immediately called the dealership and told them I would be having it towed in that evening. Next day, I got a call from the service center at my dealership asking for maintenance records, which I don't have other than oil receipts. Service tech told me to not even bother with the receipts, and that he would submit a claim anyway. Dealer will not issue loaner or rental until claim is approved, which is a bummer, but understandable. He also advised me to call Kia and file my own claim, which I did. They apparently diagnosed the issue and submitted the claim without taking the engine apart, which I thought was odd. I figured corporate would want at least some evidence.. Anyway, hoping the claim goes thru with no trouble as has been the case with many of the previous posters in this thread.When I learn more, I will update.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132