Kia Optima Forums banner

How many high-milage (80k+) Optimas out there? (curious because of engine failures)

79K views 134 replies 70 participants last post by  Frank780 
#1 ·
Looking to see how many miles everyone has got out of their Optimas so far because I'm nervous after hearing about so many failures on 2011s. Anyone high milage without any engine trouble so far?

#2 ·
99% of the time it's the guys that modify their cars that blow em up. Idk if I've seen an entirely stock car die out yet. So I wouldn't worry so much if you're stock.

Btw, there is this exact same thread called "who has the most" or something along those lines.

#4 ·
Well, Just hit 30k this month. 18K of that has been running fine on the 91 octane UTUNE flash. Haven't blown anything up yet...

#5 ·
It looks like we may have to wait awhile before any large number of 2.0T owners start posting feedback or comments about how their cars are doing after reaching 80k miles.

I was hoping some 2011 owners would chime in since they should be the first ones to hit 80k miles or more.

I am curious on how this engine holds up past the 100k mark or close to it.

I understand that few owners will have problems and some owners will have no problems at all, but I will feel better if a large number of owners stated that their cars are running trouble free at 100k miles or more.:hope:

#7 ·
Are you predicting that this will happen to every KIA engine when the odo hits 100001K miles?:blowup:

#9 ·
Yeah, me too. I have a '91 Toyota pickup with 265,000 miles, but I have had to replace a ton of parts over the years.

I'm hoping the durability is there. I see quite a few older Optimas, but suspect they might be low-mileage, because the bodies are always in really good shape.

#10 ·
I'm nearing 70k. Been running tuned for quite a while. About a year on U-tune and now BTR 3.1 canned tune since around Jan. Average 28.5+, idles and runs like new. :)

#14 ·
That's awesome!

#12 ·
84k... every bolt on possible and I drive it 95% of the time in eco mode... I also typically only run 87 octane. No issues here :)

mods have been on since around 36k... that was a little over a year ago

#15 ·
would you believe thats a photo I took from a video I shot of me running through a puddle? LOL no editing just me using a iphone 5 leaning on a rock and took a screen shot of the video to make the pic :)

Reactions: ILLESTK5
#18 ·
Not clear yet on cause but our 2012 SX 2.0T (completely stock, 87 fuel, routine oil changes) had to be towed to dealer late Saturday. Phone call from dealer on Tuesday started with "Rod blew through the small block. We have ordered a replacement engine." Thankful that the mileage on Saturday was 96K and some change!! Limited Powertrain covering everything! I do not service it at the dealer and that was brought up but I quickly got my service records from my local guy and faxed them over to the dealer. He told me that when he handed those to the service manager, she didn't hesitate to tell him to "order him what he needs to get it fixed". Didn't have a chance to call, but was suppose to arrive today and be installed tomorrow!

Not completely through the entire process yet (don't have car back AND running) BUT extremely happy with my local dealer at the moment!!

#19 ·
Well that is disconcerting to say the least about the rod! I read somewhere that Kia/Hyundai put in "beefier" rods starting in 2013 for the 2.0T, perhaps for that reason, don't know. Really glad to hear that Kia is stepping up to the plate and fix it.

#27 ·
121,000 miles, just replaced the turbo, engine sludged a decent amount with synthetic oil and changes every 7500 or so. The oil line between the engine and turbo clogged with failed the turbo. About to update my thread on here shortly. Car back running good, working on rehabbing the engine to reduce/clear the sludge.

Stock 2011 SX.

#33 · (Edited)
This reminds me of the story about the tortoise and the hare.

The 2.0T engine maybe faster than the 2.4 engine, but more 2.4 engines are probably going to make it to or even get pass the 100k finish line.:cry:

Just kidding, but i am just a little concerned about the 2.0T reliability as it stands.

Hoping to hear more positive posts about 2.0T going pass 100k miles trouble-free. :hope:

#40 ·
Well, I don't/won't track my car or flog it too badly as it is my DD. I do maintain it to a "T" given how hard most turbo engines work, so I'm looking for over 200K miles over several, several years. That is also the reason I've focused more on intakes, OCC (dual), stronger plugs, Magnefine transmission filter, UR FSTB and the like as these things (with excellent synthetic oil) can greatly help me achieve that IMHO.

That is also the main reason I'm not so sure I want to tune the car. I go back and forth on it. I want the fun but I also want it to last a long time, especially after investing more in modifications for it over time.

Reactions: carguy75
#41 · (Edited)
To be honest, any car with a turbo or built-up engine faces the same problem as our 2.0T engines.

Most of the time when owners start adding more power to an engine, the life of the engine is reduced.

For us turbo engine guys, we have to beef up the internals components like main-bolts,rods,etc. when increasing the boost pass the stock specs.

Some manufacturers like Subaru and Mitsubishi over-engineer their turbo cars so owners do not have to upgrade the internals much unless they decide to make a full blown rally car.

However, KIA did design a very strong engine.

Only the oil and spark-plugs needs to be upgraded to make this car last in my opinion.

What comes in this car stock is just for fuel economy, the hot plugs used and the thinner non-synthetic 5w-30 oil.

However, when ecu tuning this car you are making it a low-end turbo race car and will reduce the life of the engine/turbo due to adding stress to the components.

Just like VW,Audi,Mercedes,etc.

So in all, i am really impressed with KIA 2.0T engine, i just do not like that KIA recommends such crap as non-synthetic 5w-30 oil and regular gas acceptable for such a high-performance engine.

Regular gas is not really going to break the engine, but the oil choice is foolish in my opinion.

Yes, KIA added that 5w-40 is allowed for better protection in the owners manual, but it put 5w-30 on the oil cap where most people will see it.

At the least, i feel that KIA such recommend a synthetic 5w-30 oil to be used in the 2.0T.

However, that would go against KIA best selling point of having full featured luxury car features and performance without the need for luxury car maintenance and running costs like requiring premium gas and synthetic oil.

#42 ·
I have a 2011 EX. I bought it used with 44k on it got a 2yr warranty or 24k miles... MOTOR WENT OUT AT 70549. Was the Connecting Rod and Bearing. Ended up coming out of pocket 4800 for a motor out of a 2012 ex with 18k on it... I use 91 and mobil-1 synthetic 5-30 and change it every 4k religiously with Kia Oil Filter. Love/Hate with my car for sure.

#43 · (Edited)
Was it the EX turbo or 2.4 engine?

I have noticed a trend with a few owners claiming that the used Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil and the engines still failed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.