Kia Optima Forums banner

New 2015 Owner, Transmission and Engine start question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Miglo 
#1 ·
Brand newbie, still less then 490 miles total on the vehicle, but I have a couple questions:

1. On starting the car "cold", I have noticed that if I just crank to RUN to start it, it may take 5-6 cranks to turn the car over. however if I turn to "ACC ON" and wait a second or two for it to "prime" then the car starts on 1 crank or less. Is this normal?

2. Shifting through, the car seems to jutter during acceleration around 22mph, and then again slowing down seems to surge into a lower gear roughly around the same speed. I am writing this off right now as new car break in period, for the transmission, but, is this normal or should I go have it flashed?

thanks all,

#2 · (Edited)
Not normal!!

I say that for the starting issue and the transmission jitter.

I would take it to your dealer and have them inspect your car and fix the issue, which could be weak battery related.

I have owned my car since having 100 miles on the odo and my transmission did not shutter or jutter during it's break-in period.

#3 ·
1. deff not normal

2. I feel a very similar thing on my car during decel, but when I ask my passenger if they felt that, they say no. I don't know how they couldn't, but they say they don't. I just attributed it the car downshifting because its going slower.

but if you're going to take the car in to get checked out, (I would for #1 alone). have them also look at the transmission, its easily reproducible to a tech...

EDIT: felt #2 on the test drive @ 6.5 miles on the odometer, I have just over 500 on it now.

#5 ·
When you say 4-5 cranks.. does this take like 2-3 seconds to start the car? Cause i was playing around last night on mine and noticing how it starts. Mine will also turn over like 4 times then starts.. but those 4 times it turns over happens in like 1/2 a sec. I see no diff in warm or cold starts.

#7 ·
push the button and should start right up. If it doesn't, see the dealer. And jutter is bad. Trans needs to be looked at too. GL. And don't fear to take it to another dealership if yours gives you a hard time.

#8 ·
LX is KEY start, not push button. SO I had it into the dealer yesterday. They sent me right out with a Service Manager. NO lights on the dash, no codes, nothing. So, for now I will attribute this to getting used to a new car. They did say again that letting fuel get to the GDI, turning to "on" and letting it sit a second before turning to "start" is normal. Said my perception of shifting rough is just that, my perception and if there was a real problem it would throw a code. Coming from a CVT I am inclined to believe this for now. But, should it get worse or throw a code, I will head back in. :)

Otherwise, still VERY happy with my ride. :) 600 miles now. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.