Best/Worst Car You Ever Owned?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best/Worst Car You Ever Owned?

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX

Best/Worst Car You Ever Owned?

OK, it's a boring, rainy Sunday afternoon, and I was just thinking about some of the best/worst cars I have had over the years.

I'd have to say the best was my second hand 1986 VW GTI. It was the most rewarding and fun to drive car I ever owned, especially after swapping out the 8v motor for a 16v. Car only had 2 problems in 100K miles; water pump and window crank cable.

The worst has to be my first car, a 1978 Buick Regal Turbo. Burnt orange over tan leather. Bought it at 79K with a blown turbo, which my neighbor replaced. Year later, it threw a rod. Neighborhood kid rebuilt the motor in my garage. That year, my father and I attempted to drive it from New York to Florida. Threw a case of oil in the trunk (smoked like a son of a bitch) and hit the road. Made it to Jersey when she shit the bed on the NJ turnpike. Had it flat bedded home, and got rid of it soon after.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    1988 Eagle Medallion DL. This was really a Renault 21 (French made car). Bought it new and it was the LAST one on the dealer's lot as a prior year holdover. Boy did I think I was getting "a deal". A total POC. I was very young (and stupid), had a growing family and needed a wagon at that point.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 59K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    1994 Toyota Tercel.

Looked like crap, but ran like a champion. Purchased with 236,000 miles on it, put on 40,000 miles on it and sold it with 276,000 miles. During the time that I owned it, the only maintenance it required was new brake pads. I literally floored that little for speed everywhere I took it and it maxed out on the freeway at 100 mph.
    ​​

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    The best car I have ever owned was a 2010 VW CC 3.6 VR6. It was quick, comfortable and full of nice tech with decent gas mileage.

However, it got totaled out by a wrong way driver.

The worst car I have owned was a 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG which had nothing but electrical issues from the instrument cluster to a leaky valve cover.

Plus it needed 16 damn spark plugs(2 per cylinder) in which the driver side plugs were in such a tight area(big engine) that made it near impossible to pull the plugs.

and to top it all off, it had heater core issues that killed the heat in the winter.

But, it was nice car to drive before the crap feel apart.

Fast as hell too.
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Soul+
    Trim
    Soul +
    Best all-around vehicle, I have to vote for the family, later my, 1966 Rover 2000. Flawless handling and brakes, a step up from Grand Tourer, a Great Tourer. Great English leather bucket seats, you could ride for hours with nary an ache. Not quick, sixty in around 15 I think, but with proper planning and anticipation you could still pass on country roads.

Worst is probably an '84 Omni. The car had issues and more issues. Dealer add-on air which did not have a vent function. Alternator went out once, fortunately just as I was exiting the freeway. It had rough idle issues and tons of other stuff wrong with it, sold it pretty young and replaced it with a trouble-free 1979 Parisienne which gave yeoman service for five or six years. Replaced that with a '91 Camry 2.0 5M.

Model
    Passat TDI
    Worst car 1978 Buick Century. Had paint issues, electrical problems to name a few of the projects that kept me busy. Mother-In-Law bought it and drove it for 200K miles. Best car, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    I've enjoyed every car I've ever own for it's own reasons with the exception of the one before my Optima Hybrid. A 2007 Chevy Aveo. It was gutless, got terrible mileage and was like riding around in a tin can. It had a higher resale value than my 2000 Focus ZTS so I traded it with my Dad who sold the focus to a family friend for a song and a dance. The plan was to drive the Aveo a year and save up for an Optima hybrid. I ended up driving the Aveo for less than 4 months before getting rid of the thing. I sold the Aveo for more than I should have but they really wanted it. Good riddance.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I've gone through a lot of cars, some nice, some not so much!

Best Car:

Tied between 2 since I enjoyed both of these equally as much.
    2003 Nissan 350z (6 Speed Manual)
    2002 Mercedes c32 AMG

Worst Car:
    1985 BMW 318i coupe

Bought this as a project but was forced to use as a daily for a few month. It was ROUGH! lol.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T Launch Edition
    Best car I've owned thus far? Honestly, my current 2016 Optima SX. Quick enough for me, comfortable, stylish and relatively rare enough around my way that it stands out.

Worst car I've owned? My 1996 Toyota Camry LE in 90's dark green. Granted this isn't too fair, because I got the car for free. But the amount of repairs I had to put into it and the stupid things that broke on it made it almost not worth it.

Special honor goes to my 1995 Ford Taurus that replaced the Camry. Got that from an elderly lady in 2008 at 23k miles, drove it until late 2011 (when I got my first new Optima) with 95k miles. Not the fastest thing, but damn reliable and comfortable. Lasted in my family for a few more years after, and I'm pretty sure someone on Staten Island is still driving it lol.
    2016 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo Launch Edition, Snow White Pearl

Past Vehicles:
    2014 Kia Optima EX w/Premium & Tech Packages, Metal Bronze

2011 Kia Optima LX w/ Convenience Package, Metal Bronze

1995 Ford Taurus GL, old man tan
    1996 Toyota Camry LE, dark green
    1998 Honda Accord EX, dark green

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread