So what is the verdict on the 2.4s...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what is the verdict on the 2.4s...

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX

So what is the verdict on the 2.4s...

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but I'm curious as to how the majority of the 2.4s are holding up. It seems like I read about so many engine failures (much more than usual on a given automotive forum) on both the Sonata and Optima forums. It seems like a lot are the turbo 2.0s, but some 2.4s have popped up as well. A lot of the Sonata guys and gals are really showing concerns, especially in the mileage threads. I was just curious as to what the general consensus was on here. Should I be concerned? My car is a late 2013 LX model, built in September of 2013. So far I have 13,000 miles on it with no issues. But, I like to keep cars a long time and well beyond 100,000 miles. Is this turning out to be a reallh widespread issue or is it limited to just certain model years and/or a small percentage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lube Jockey
    I think any modern day car is good for 100K+ with proper maint. These forums are full of the exception. That's why they're here. My stock 12 SX turbo has been a tank with no issues at 45K mi.
    I've used synthetic oil for over 30 years. I believe it's the key to all my car's longevity.

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    Was there any pattern to the engine failures?

The trend I saw here for the engine failures were seemingly limited to the 2.0T engines when the #2 spark plug failed and damaged the engine. But now the plugs are replaced with a different rating that doesn't fail and damage the engines.

But were you seeing other types of engine failures?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    SX
    Trim
    Limited
    We've recently on the 2014+ are having a few issues with a few engines with the pistons blowing apart. Kia is stating that they put the wrong wrist pins in the connecting rods in some of the engines and it is causing some issues. I've only seen this issue on the 2.4 GDI engine in the optima, sorento, and sportage. Only had a few 11-13 engines blow and they were mainly abused or lack of oil changes and still covered under warranty.

The issues are a tapping noise on a cold start up but eventually goes away after warm up. Also just last week we had one where the oil light would come on only at idle and the piston blew apart but had to take the oil pan off to figure it out and metal chunks in the bottom of the pan, yet the car ran great somehow just had the oil light. Even had one where we took an oil pan off and a whole piston was in the pan but of course the car didn't run and only had 1k miles on it and was a 2015.

Only issues i know of but only a handful I've seen recently. OP that is why we offer that 10/100k warranty. Don't worry about it but please change the oil regularly.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    The failures I am reading about (especially on the Sonata forum) are from what Hyundai claims to be a lack of oil or oil sludging, but owners report having regularly changed oil (some had just been changed just before the failure). These are on relatively low mileage cars that should not be using any oil between regular changes or have oil sludge. Other failures are a low end knock that develops out of no where and the engine eventually seizes.

Lube Jockey
    As I said, the worst case scenarios are here. As Snow White said, "change the oil regularly." You'll be fine!

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    I do change my oil regularly with the synthetic blend at the Kia dealer and now keep tabs on the oil level. so far, so good, but again I've only driven my car 13,000 miles since buying it new a year and 2 months ago. It was one of the last of the 2013s to be assembled before the 2014s and I was lucky enough to get it within a week of it leaving the plant. It was NEW! My engine seems to run quietly (minus the GDI racket) but after hearing engines siezing, sludging, losing oil, pistons blowing, etc. I am a tad on edge. I know the warranty and roadside assistance is there, thankfully...and I've always made a habit to keep all of my receipts.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    Occasionally it has "rattled" on a cold start, but only for about half a second and it has only done it a handful of times. I've heard other engines do it as well, so it didn't concern me much. Now something that mine WILL do every cold start is shake for about 4-5 seconds a few moments after the initial start up. By shake I mean that the engine will rock back anx forth so much that it shakes the whole car a bit and makes the idle feel "lumpy" from inside the car. It smooths out shortly afterwards. It has done this it was brand new and my Kia service rep. said it was just a characteristic of the GDI and that nothing was wrong. 13k miles later no further issues, but it does still do it, though not any worse than before. So again, I was not concerned.

Lube Jockey
    Engine Sludging fears? Relax. 13K mi in 14 mo? Sounds like you've driven your car. My car has never lost a bit of oil between oil changes. Always seems a waste to get rid of 4.5 QTs of synthetic oil at a change! But I feel good that I'm giving her a fresh start.

I bought my car off the truck in Feb 12 and was dubious about a car made in Georgia, not Korea. I was wrong. Unless something has changed, enjoy your US made car

There was a thread a while back started by a guy, who I believe had a 2.4, whose engine blew fairly early. I wish I could find the thread.

Several pages into the thread, it emerged that he was not using OEM KIA oil filters, but was using some premium brand he thought was "better". IIRC, KIA specifies that people use only the OEM filters, because there are several different designs of oil filters, and the KIA OEM ones are specially designed to work with the design of our engines.

So I would definitely stick to OEM filters, not only for that reason, but also because they're fairly cheap, even after the dealership markup.

My 2.4 seems fine after 55K, other than rough idle for a few minutes right after startup. Burns zero oil, that I can tell, and still has plenty of power.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast