Kia Optima Forums banner

2012 vs 2013 Optima - What to buy?

42K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  mnazary 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm on the verge of buying a 2012 Optima SX. I was wondering if anyone might give me any love/hate relationships or advice with regard to this vehicle. I went back and forth between the Sonata and the Optima and I really enjoy the Optima much more. Also, does anyone have any insight as to what they might change or fix on the 2013 model? I head they may correct the UVO/Nav issue, but don't know if that was just dealer talk. And honestly, I'm not sure that I "need" or want the Nav anymore, so it's not a MUST-HAVE, but I would like to ponder whether I should wait. Thanks guys!!!

#5 ·
Hey, if you don't need a car now, and you can wait for the next model year -- wait. Just like electronics, cars always get better every new model year with few exceptions to that rule. You might end up paying more for that better, though.

#8 ·
Hey, if you don't need a car now, and you can wait for the next model year -- wait. Just like electronics, cars always get better every new model year with few exceptions to that rule. You might end up paying more for that better, though.
I couldn't agree more with Optima2012. They might start building them better in Georgia as well. I hear many 2012's have U.S. quality issues. My 2011 was Korean built and generally has had very few problems.

#10 ·
If there is a car on the lot you want get it. Don't worry what the '13s might or might not have. Because then maybe you should wait for the '14s cause they might be drastically different and way better.

If there was going to be any significant changes to the '13s like power train etc that would have been released already. That would be the only reason to wait if they were coming out with a new motor or such.

#12 ·
I'm korean, then
There is 2013 K5 already in korea.
There is a small change.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#15 ·
Its safe to go ahead and buy a 12 vs 13 Optima, they will be nearly the same. The only model in the line up due for an update is the Forte which will roll out for the 13 model year with a new face and body work to match the rest of the line up and the Sedona if it lives on is suppose to be all new for 13-14 model year.

#16 ·
On the other hand, if you get a great deal when they are trying to clear out the 2012 models, it might be worth it to you.

#17 ·
I bought a 2012 last month and it is bitchin'! From what I understand, they are done producing 2012 Optima's so finding a fully loaded SX is going to be harder and harder to get brand new off the lot. I say go for a 2012 if you can find one. The one thing on the car that makes it totally worth getting fully loaded in the Backup Camera! It is awesome!

Also consider a 2012 to save on taxes. You pay more in plates for the newest year than you do a vehicle that is 1 year old. I was skeptical at first but I cannot be happier with my purchase. I am at 1800 miles and rolling... BTW hit 28.0 average fuel eco on this tank that I am on today with 170 miles to go! Buy it, you wont be disappointed.

Also, consider an extra warranty coverage because the electrical is only covered 3 year 36000. I got offered a 84 month 100000 bumper to bumper for $1200.00 including everything but wear and tear (brakes / tires / ect..)

#19 ·
From what I understood, Powertrain is covers 5 years 100000 miles. Powertrain is considered mechanical parts. Not electrical. Bumper to bumper is covered at 60K miles and Electrical is covered at 36K miles (NAV, Camera, ect..). If that is not correct, I apologize but that is what I was presented upon purchase.

#21 ·
From Kia's website:

Although now that you mention it, the 3 year/36K figures do sound familiar - I wonder what that actually is electrical or not.

Unless maybe it's for second owners. I know second owners automatically get a 5yr/60K warranty, maybe their secondary drivetrain warranty is 3yr/36k?

Just a thought.

#20 ·
#24 ·
Page 7 talks about Radio / Nav being 3/36 on the 2012. That was enough to make me spend $1200 on the the extension to 84 / 100000. Navigations are notorious for issues. Our Acura TL suffers from electrical inconsistencies including Nav problems so to me just for electrical it is worth it. I just paid cash for that part so it didn't effect my payment.

#30 ·
Yeah, but you gain NAVIGATION and Navigation is AWESOME!

#33 ·
and the handheld/phone style is alot easier to read see and follow than looking down at the radio screen ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.