Navigation versus UVO
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigation versus UVO

Riding Lawn Mower

Navigation versus UVO

I'm trying to decide if opting for the Navigation (~$1400 more) is worth it over the UVO radio that is included in the premium package. I don't really need navigation, but this option does give a bigger screen. I didn't know if the Nav option provides better functionality with regard to the radio pre-sets and ease of use like switching back and forth between Sirius and FM or switching between various FM stations. I'm one of those that switches stations frequently and the UVO pre-sets seemed to be less intuitive than the traditional push buttons! (I know you can speak and have UVO switch the station for you) but to me that is yet another added step or two. I just want to punch a button. Any thoughts??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Save the money and go this route instead: Navigation versus UVO-img_0784.jpg

Driver's License
    Use of the touchscreen and radio/Sirius/iPod/etc. presets and adjustments is quite intuitive with the Nav screen. The only exception is streaming audio from a Bluetooth device. That function does not show song title or other info, and the "Sound" adjustments (balance, fader, bass/mid/treble) are not directly accessible. You can change those settings in another mode and they will still apply in streaming mode.

I didn't think I "needed" navigation either, but find that it can be pretty handy, even in an area that I know fairly well.

BTW, I only use the voice commands for BT phone calls. Button/touchscreen operations are much faster and require minimal distraction from the business of driving.

No idea how any of that compares with UVO operation, but there have not been many compliments on UVO around here. My apologies if I'm wrong in that summation.
    2011 Spicy Red SX, Tech + Premium, 2012 Front Seats, 245/45-18 Bridgestones

Learner's Permit
    Yes, the Tech package will give you more screen "real estate" and on screen controls. That said, I find the UVO navigation to be quite simple. I have 15 or so Sirius stations I listen to, but 4 of them are my go-to stations (90%+ of my listening). I have those grouped together in the preset menu. I simply press the up/down button on the steering wheel to toggle between those 4. Otherwise, I just use the voice command ("Sirus channel 2"). It changes in an instant. Here's one of the better threads about the tech package debate:

Technology Package Worth It?

These are the main advantages of the Tech package....

--Navigation (duh!)
    --Bigger screen real estate and increased on screen controls
    --"Integration" (no separate GPS, wires, etc.)

You have to ask yourself if these things are worth $1000 more (MSRP is $1400 but Optimas with Tech are generally selling for $1000 or so more than non-Tech). I opted not to go with Tech because I need a GPS in my Optima maybe 2-3 times a year (our Sorento is our travel car). And, the TomTom I have is simply a better GPS than the Kia, with "Live" services and other features (including lifetime maps and traffic). I keep my cars for 8+ years so I feared the Kia GPS would become so outdated by then. I'm a gadget guy who likes the latest!

Buy the NAV package and never look back! The integration is great and you will be very pleased. I asked the same question before I bought my car and was overwhelmingly told to get the NAV and I am glad I did.
    2011 Optima SX Ebony Black (June 9, 2011 Build date)
    Premium & Technology Packages
    Sport Wheels, Mud Guards & Body Side Molding
    Roadruns Custom Grill
    Injen Cold Air Intake with K&N filtered BOV Exhaust
    Saikou Michi Custom PCV Oil Catch Can
    Luxon Strut Tower Brace
    3M Clear Bra Protection with full Carbon window tint
    Continental Extreme Contact DWS High Performance All-Season Tires
    De-badged
    WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats
    LED Super White License Plate Bulbs

Learner's Permit RideTheLlamababy's Avatar
    I personally don't need a GPS in my Car so this seamed like a no-brainer to me; Unless it was thrown in, I didn't want it. The UVO voice command works well for me and I find no problems using the GUI to do what I need to do.
    2012 Kia Optima EX Premium Package - SWP

MCA
    Nav and prem!!!! Compared to the overall cost of the vehicle....good investment!
    2012 Silver Optima EX Turbo with Premium and Technology packages and gray interior.

Certified Wrench Monkey chadandhiskia's Avatar
    I have the UVO and am left wandering what it's like to have nav... But it was the only thing around and I was tired of waiting. Get the nav.
    2012 Optima SX
    "Stock" for now...

Learner's Permit
    Would have never bought the car without the nab package. Love the big screen.
    Alpine White/Dakota Grey 2012 BMW 328i Sedan w/Premium, Premium Sound, Tech, Sport Line, Heated Front Seats, BMW Apps and Assist w/Enhanced BT.

Previous Cars (one more equals divorce)

2012 Titanium Silver Kia Optima SX w/Premium, Technology & Luxury Touring. Replaced Hankook tires w/Bridgestone Potenzas. 2008 BMW 335i, 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo Limited, 2010 Acura TL, 2010 Acura TSX, 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited

Certified Wrench Monkey chadandhiskia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
    Would have never bought the car without the nab package. Love the big screen.
    I do too, and I really like how it combines the climate controls as well...
    2012 Optima SX
    "Stock" for now...

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements