When your fuel light comes on, how many miles does your tank have on it?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When your fuel light comes on, how many miles does your tank have on it?

When your fuel light comes on, how many miles does your tank have on it?

So my mpg is bad and I am annoyed with it but I'm hoping that it will get better. I've heard you need to drive a few thousand miles before it's broken in but that wasn't the case with my brand new Altima when I got it in 2007. It had great mpg right away for the most part.

I'm keeping a log of my miles on the tank once the fuel light comes on so I can see if my miles per tank is improving with each fill-up. Last week the fuel light came on and my odometer showed 360 miles with 660 miles total on the car. I drive 70/30 city/highway and my 2002 Civic LX Couple gets around 300-310 miles once the light comes 50/50 city/highway (but I floor it a little more) on it and has a 13 gallon tank compared to the 18.5 gallon tank on the Optima. I drive the Optima like a grandma by the way.

What are your numbers? Please specify your city/highway breakdown and how many total miles you have on the car along with your car trim.
    Last edited by Crossover37; 02-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower lineonemightyfine's Avatar
    2012 SX
    85/15 (highway/city)
    Just bought it last week, I've only filled it up twice. I assume the first tank had top tier gas in it since it was full when I bought it.

My fuel light came on this morning - the car estimated I had 62 miles DTE. I filled up shortly after with 16.079 gallons.

This fill-ups stats:

* miles driven: 468
    * mpg: 29.1
    * drove in ECO mode 99% of the time

Previous fill-up:
    * 11.767 gallons
    * miles driven: 401
    * mpg: 34
    * drove in ECO mode 99% of the time

One thing of note, the first time I filled up I used a non-top tier gas station, so that may explain my mpg drop-off from 34-29. I drove basically the same way. Avg around 65-70 mph on the highway, with several short bursts to 75-80 mph.

I've refueled from a top tier gas station and driving with ECO off to see what I get out of it. Right out of the gate, my mpg went up to 33 mpg, so I'm hoping the top tier gas made a difference so I can drive with ECO off all the time. I'd prefer to do that given the sluggish nature of driving with it on.
    2012 Titanium Silver SX (9/26/11 build date)
    Premium Touring & Tech Packages

Future mods: rebadge, tint, led license plate & reverse lights

Veteran Master Tech Black_V!per's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Please do a search as this question has been answered at least 3 times in the last month in separate threads.
    Current Driver:
    2011 KIA Optima Hybrid (K5 Loaded) - Satin Metallic (04/11)
    Current Toy: 1991 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Full Size (K5) Silverado V8 350ci - Dark Gray Metallic (09/90)
    Previous Rides: {95 Chevy S-10 Blazer 06-07}{96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 07-08}{08 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport 08-11}

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements