Low tire presuure warning
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low tire presuure warning

Riding Lawn Mower

Low tire presuure warning

Has anybody else experience this problem. Last week we had our first true cold spell, morning temps in the low 20's. This generated a "Low tire pressure" warning indicator and message. Checked tire pressure; front = 32 psi and rear = 33 psi, tires call for cold tire reading of 33 psi. This lasted 3 days until the temp went to the 40's. Made a service appointment for 1/14/12 for this issue and have tires rotated. Tires were rotated and was told nothing wrong with the TMS, the warning light and message went away. Sunday morning, temp was low 20's and guess what, both light and message back, same as this morning.
    If this was posted in another forum I do apologize. I did a forum search and could not locate anything that deals with low tire pressure. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Model
    2011 K5 2.0T
    Trim
    SX W/Premium
    I just had this problem myself, too. It came on two days ago, went off by itself this morning on the way to work.

As long as your pressure is okay, I wouldn't worry about it. It's annoying as crap to have that message on the screen, but nothing bad has ever happened to me driving with it on.
    Welcome to To Munky's Mod Fund and I'll love you forever!

The only time I've had an issue is when I lowered my pressure in the front to 30psi to make the ride softer in the front. TPMS didn't like my idea and argued with me. Otherwise I've been seeing regular sub-zero temps here and have had no problems.
    ///Double "N"
    2011 Optima LX (Spicy Red) - 55 Watt DDM HID's
    6000K Diode Dynamics Bulbs - Fog Retrofit (Next Spring)
    Tint (35% Front 20% Rear this Fall) - 20's and lowered (Next Spring...maybe)
    26k miles and counting...

It is very typical to see the TPMS light come on when the weather is cold early in the morning. This is why several folks use Nitrogen in their tires as it is less prone to temperature differences and keeps the TPMS in check.

As Munky stated above, it will usually go out as you drive and the tire temp heats up.
    2011 Optima SX Ebony Black (June 9, 2011 Build date)
    Premium & Technology Packages
    Sport Wheels, Mud Guards & Body Side Molding
    Roadruns Custom Grill
    Injen Cold Air Intake with K&N filtered BOV Exhaust
    Saikou Michi Custom PCV Oil Catch Can
    Luxon Strut Tower Brace
    3M Clear Bra Protection with full Carbon window tint
    Continental Extreme Contact DWS High Performance All-Season Tires
    De-badged
    WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats
    LED Super White License Plate Bulbs

Learner's Permit
    Put in 40 psi---end of problem. Handles better and increases mpg. No more warning light unless you pick up a nail.

OptimaForums Veteran XxHaimBondxX's Avatar
    40 is a bit of pushing it, don't ya think? Imagine the ride quality on that? Plus when you drive for a while, wouldn't it reach 45-50 psi? There is no reason to overkill, unless you were joking.
    Cocaine Hybrid Premium

Riding Lawn Mower
    Thanks for all the great replies. If the indicators did go off after driving the car for awhile than fine. The problem is that regardless of how far I drive the indicators stay on and that 1) is not normal and 2) not acceptable. It appears that my only option is to inconvenience myself and bring it back. Oh well all part of owning a car.

Check your tire pressures with a decent gauge when it is cold, adjust the pressures and forget about them for a month.

2012 SWP/Beige EX, Tech/Premium, Spoiler, De/Rebadged, LED tails, 35% Tinted, 4,750K Low/High/Fogs, CHMSL Flasher, Sport Pedals, Catch Can, Mud Guards, 20mm RSB, Front Strut Bar, Custom LED DRLs, Cupholder LEDs, K&N Air Filter.

Do you have Nitrogen in the tires? It would be indicated by the green valve caps instead of black. I have an SX and when the TPMS message came on a couple different times, I ran by the service department on the way home from work. They put air in and it went away for a couple of weeks. Happened a third time the other day so I went by again, and this time I went with the Tech, because even though I kept telling them to make sure they were putting in Nitrogen, it turns out they weren't. The Nitrogen tank was 3 service doors down from where they were putting in air. The Tech completely vented the tires and refilled with Nitrogen. Much better ride, I would not have believed the difference.

Additionally, Nitrogen is supposed to have less pressure fluctuation based on temperature swings.

Quote Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX View Post
    40 is a bit of pushing it, don't ya think? Imagine the ride quality on that? Plus when you drive for a while, wouldn't it reach 45-50 psi? There is no reason to overkill, unless you were joking.
    I think the max psi our tires can handle (if we're talking about Nexens) is 50psi; but even then I'm with you, I wouldn't want to stretch that tire to it's maximum capability..
    JHall520's Showroom
    2013 2.0L SX Ebony Black

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements