How reliable are Kia vehicles?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum Ė General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How reliable are Kia vehicles?

Learner's Permit

How reliable are Kia vehicles?

Seems like everywhere on this forum, there are a lot of problems that show up on their new Kia models. I hope I don't have buyer remorse because this is the first Kia I purchased. Mine seems to drive fine, for now. It also looks like dealer experience with Kia's aren't all that great either with people complaining how the dealer is giving them the runaround or don't want to help them. Kind of scary.

I hope I don't regret my purchase, because I can't return it due to my contract, lol. I'm stuck with it.

But if Kia does prove troublesome (even with the warranty), I will help spread the word and not rely on Kia anymore. Hey, sometimes, you pay what you get. Pay cheap, you get cheap cars. I guess that's why we pay premium price on Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas. Beacuse they're reliable and long lasting. We'll see how my Kia does or Kia in general........................

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

10/2012 + 11/2013 ROTM unreligion's Avatar
    Model
    2011 2.4L
    Trim
    LX
    its a brand new model there are bound to be problems with new releases ;] dealers are hit and miss, mine sucks others have awesome dealers
    jl - soundqubed - pioneer - mrr - d2

kdm alliance

sponsors: mrr wheels - karbon koncepts

Typically its a hit and miss with new cars especially defective ones. Human hands are no longer building these things (other than torquing down some key components on the engine that a robot can't) hence the reason why cars are mass produced so quickly. With robotic arms comes errors, with speed comes errors. Things may not be torqued down as hard as they should be, or it missed a minor detail that could turn into a bigger problem later.

I think it's sad how KIA took such a downfall in reputation over the past years for being POS, now that Hyundai has come along and taken them over and that they work alongside each other, reliability will become a better factor. Some will have issues others won't. It's the same w/other brand/lines of vehicles.. I seen a brand new Toyota Camry with their hazards on the expressway w/the hood popped.. Toyota is a reputable brand for their reliability right?? Well its a shoot & miss in all circumstances.. Be happy you don't have any issues now b/c I know others on here are having them.. Just my haha
    JHall520's Showroom
    2013 2.0L SX Ebony Black

Hyundai and KIA are both doing much better then they have ever done. I have been car shopping for some time now and iv come to realize that no car is perfect.
    KIA is doing very well with their technology and feature filled optimas. You have features in the optima you cant get on the camry or accord, like the panoramic sunroof, cooled front seats and heated rear seats. However in order for KIA to fit these into the Optima, they had to cut costs somewhere. The KIA Optima has probably some of the worst OEM tires ever to come on a car. They also lack in insulation, and sound proofing material. To some people this may make the car feel cheap, to others they rather have the features in this car compared to the features in the camry or accord.
    It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. I think the new camry is ugly, the accord is dated, and the optima looks great.

Driver's License
    Quote Originally Posted by massiveian View Post
    Hyundai and KIA are both doing much better then they have ever done. I have been car shopping for some time now and iv come to realize that no car is perfect.
    KIA is doing very well with their technology and feature filled optimas. You have features in the optima you cant get on the camry or accord, like the panoramic sunroof, cooled front seats and heated rear seats. However in order for KIA to fit these into the Optima, they had to cut costs somewhere. The KIA Optima has probably some of the worst OEM tires ever to come on a car. They also lack in insulation, and sound proofing material. To some people this may make the car feel cheap, to others they rather have the features in this car compared to the features in the camry or accord.
    It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. I think the new camry is ugly, the accord is dated, and the optima looks great.
    I'm picky...coming out of a 350Z Roadster and have had MANY Accords....this car seems TOP NOTCH so far!!

Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, My 11 SX-T is a POS. Bought it May 19 and I only have 2,376 miles on her. Been in the shop most of the time. Injectors, plugs, door handle, warped rear bumper, warped under shields, gas gauge problem. It's back in the shop while I write. The contracted body shop screwed up the rear bumper worse than it was. They left out most of the fasteners, scratched both tail lights, and ruined the applique. When it rains, it pours.

Certified Wrench Monkey
    If you want an answer that actually means something, then I suggest you consult Consumer Reports, JD Power, etc. Asking this question on the forum will only get you a couple of responses and a few variations on those responses.

From what I remember in my pre-buying research, Kia seems to be average (if not slightly better than average) in reliability. Having said that, I have noticed that this forums seems to contain a fairly minimal amount of complaints compared to a few other cars I've owned. Not scientific by any means though.

Tony

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    I've had a few annoying issues, but very satisfactorily resolved. Love this car, not sure why, other than its just a blast to drive and it suprises so many people. Everyone comments on how good it is and how they really like it.
    My dealership has been awesome, responsive and very professional.
    NO REMORSE OR REGRETS!....just hope it stays that way, if not, it's all covered for 10 years/100,000 miles...bumper to bumper...with a zero deductabe warranty. It will be paid off long before that.
    Link to Car Color Poll
    http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/5-...-your-car.html

Previous cars:
    2002 Grand Prix GTP 3.8 supercharged 240hp
    2006 Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 303hp
    2009 G8 GXP 415 hp
    2011 Optima SX Premium Touring & Tech pkgs.

I have driven a lot of new cars and most of them have been very good cars. I can't say that I have ever had a lemon from the ones I bought new. At least six of those new cars have been VW's and I loved them, in spite of Consumer Reports and JD giving them less than stellar ratings.

Before I made the decision to buy a Korean car I Did go to CR and buy their Auto Buyers Guide, and the Kia Optimas have been getting better and better ratings over the past years, to where they rate at least average and usually better than average in almost all categories.

I have almost 5000 miles on my LX after six months of ownership and I'm happy to say that my car has been wonderful. Yeah, it pulls to the left, but only very, very slightly and I am going in soon to have the dealer take care of that, and the front passenger window rolls up very slowly. having them look at that too. And, of course, the Nexens SUCK.

For what I paid for my Optima I really didn't think there was anything else on the market that offered what it did. VW has gone boring to attract more midstream buyer, Hondas are really ugly and noisy these days, Toyotas are..zzzzzzzz Oh, where was I?!

Anyhow, Kia seems to have their focus in the right place. On improving. That is good with me. (For the guy having all those problems, I feel for you and will raise a glass in your honor, and would buy you one if I could. Hopefully things will get better for you!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhall520 View Post
    I seen a brand new Toyota Camry with their hazards on the expressway w/the hood popped.. Toyota is a reputable brand for their reliability right?? Well its a shoot & miss in all circumstances.. Be happy you don't have any issues now b/c I know others on here are having them.. Just my haha
    I have a friend whose son has to travel all of the time in rental cars. He said he had been left beside the road more in Camrys and Avalons than any other car he has rented. He no longer chooses them.

I have had 16 new vehicles since 1973 (14 were company) and my Kia is put together better than any of them. The body seams are perfect, the paint is great and the doors, hood and trunk opens and closes as smooth as glass. I have about 3,500 miles on it and I have not found a single thing wrong with it.

I had a Chevrolet that overheated between the dealer and the office when I picked it up. I had a Pontiac LeMans where I could see and touch the hood hinge through the wide crack between the hood and fender.

Keep in mind that people with problems tend to post but most people that have no problem stay silent or don't even go to forums. They look for forums when they have problems.
    2011 Spicy Red EX with Premium Package

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements