Fuel tank Size?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel tank Size?

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Oprima SX Turbo
    Trim
    SX Turbo

Fuel tank Size?

I'm pretty sure the '16 Optima SX comes with an 18 gallon fuel tank, but my instrument panel tells me there are only 40 miles before empty and when I fill up it will only take 13 gallons. By my crazy calculations doesn't that mean there is another 5 gallons in the tank. That seems like a lot of gas to be giving me a warning for low gas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    Are you filling it to when the pump stops, if so you might try adding more until it gets up to the top. It's known that the hybrid cars hold an extra 5 gallons beyond the stated capacity, not sure about the standard car. The pump seems to click off long before I reach the rated capacity but you can continue filling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Model
    Optima-Black
    Trim
    SX-T Prem/Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynerm002 View Post
    Are you filling it to when the pump stops, if so you might try adding more until it gets up to the top. It's known that the hybrid cars hold an extra 5 gallons beyond the stated capacity, not sure about the standard car. The pump seems to click off long before I reach the rated capacity but you can continue filling.

Supposedly, one can run the risk of flooding the Evap System charcoal canister by overfilling right to the top, so I wouldn't suggest taking the chances. I used to do that until I heard this many years back, so now I let the nozzle click off and remove it.

5. The Following User Says Kudos to toptobottom For This Useful Post:

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynerm002 View Post

DO NOT OVERFILL THE TANK. When the pump stops, that's it. Stop pumping. Do not top off

These vehicles will dump gas into the charcoal canister, EVAP air filter, and canister close valve. Depending on the vehicle and engine could be upwards of $1,000

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    The official fuel tank size is 18.5 gallons. But yes, not all of that is usable, since the fuel pump has a 'hole' for cooling, and fuel system won't use that volume. So I'd guess the usable volume is around 18 gallons. As far as filling goes, I always start at the highest pump speed, but that releases the pump earlier than it has to. So after that, I continue manually at a slow pace, and when it clicks again, that's it. Never an issue with any car. Noticed I could pump more into this car than on most others. If you want to stop pumping at the first click, then use the slowest (usually 3 settings) available speed when locking the gas trigger, or you wouldn't have a full tank of gas.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    then use the slowest (usually 3 settings) available speed when locking the gas trigger, or you wouldn't have a full tank of gas.
    Finally a use for the other click stops on the pump handle! I always wondered why they were there or who used them, now it will be me using them!

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2016 optima sx turbo
    Trim
    Sx
    Filled my '16 sx up for the first time the other day. Had a quarter tank showing and put about 9.5 gallons in, so I would assume if it was showing near empty I would be around that 13 gal mark.

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Oprima SX Turbo
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    I don't think the issue is not getting enough gas in the tank, I think the gauges read lower than is actually the case. It says 40 miles left til empty, but I think you probably have about 100 left. I might test this theory and see how far it will go.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    2016 2.0T. Let me know if anybody has any other questions.

Fuel tank Size?-screenshot-www.kiatechinfo.com-2017-04-21-09-42-32.png

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    Twice I put in gas at the half mark and twice the pump popped at 7.1-7.2 gallons which is two gallons or so from what a half a tank should be and that is 9.25 gallons.
    Today the needle was to the left of the half mark and it popped at 7.4 gallons, so at least my gauge is two gallons off, but in my favor.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread