11-14 Optima Recall: Excessive Bearing Wear
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11-14 Optima Recall: Excessive Bearing Wear

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Cadenza

11-14 Optima Recall: Excessive Bearing Wear

Didn't see this posted (apologies if it's a repost), got this in my alert e-mail from NHTSA:

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17V224
    Manufacturer : Kia Motors America
    Subject : Bearing Wear may result in Engine Seizure

Make Model Model Years
    KIA OPTIMA 2011-2014
    KIA SORENTO 2012-2014
    KIA SPORTAGE 2011-2013

March 31, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V224000
    Bearing wear may result in the engine seizing, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V224000
    Manufacturer Kia Motors America
    Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 618,160

Summary

Kia Motor Company (Kia) is recalling certain 2011-2014 Optima, 2012-2014 Sorento and 2011-2013 Sportage vehicles. Machining errors during the engine manufacturing process may cause premature bearing wear within the engine.

Remedy
    Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine assembly, replacing it necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 25, 2017. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC147.

Notes
    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Description of the Defect :
    Metal debris may have been generated from factory machining operations as part of the manufacturing of the engine crankshaft which may not have been completely removed from the crankshafts oil passages during the cleaning process. In addition, the machining processes of the crankpins caused an uneven surface roughness. As a result, the metal debris and uneven surface roughness can restrict oil flow to the bearings, thereby increasing bearing temperatures causing premature bearing wear. A worn connecting rod bearing will produce a cyclic knocking noise from the engine and may also result in the illumination of the engine warning lamp and/or oil pressure lamp in the instrument panel. If the warnings are ignored and the vehicle is continued tobe driven, the bearing may fail and the vehicle could stall while in motion.

Recall document on NHSTA
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...303.1491557158

Chronology

2. The Following 5 Users Say Kudos to Yooshaw For This Useful Post:

3. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    I saw this on the news this morning. I feel better about giving my daughter my Optima this summer. I was hoping it would get her through college. Now we wait to get our notices.
    2012 Optima LX Titanium Silver

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia Optima
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX, 2.4L
    First, thank you for the heads up post.

"Remedy: Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine assembly, replacing it necessary, free of charge."

I'm curious as to how dealers will determine if an engine should be replaced, or not, if there are no warning signs ("A worn connecting rod bearing will produce a cyclic knocking noise from the engine and may also result in the illumination of the engine warning lamp and/or oil pressure lamp in the instrument panel.")?

What if an engine has the defects (metal debris and uneven crankpin surfaces) and is destined to fail but it's time hasn't come yet? Will the dealer be able to determine this so that the engine is replaced and the customer no longer has to worry about breaking down unexpectedly? Is there a list of engine serial numbers that are most likely affected?

My concern is that I'm planning a Boston to Florida trip this coming summer with my engine having roughly 60K miles, and this bearing failure problem is on my mind. I'd rather enjoy my drive without any worry...
    Last edited by jszabo17; 04-07-2017 at 08:19 AM.

6. The Following User Says Kudos to jszabo17 For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2015 Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Optima SX-T
    Good to see this being addressed by Kia. Is this going to be limited by mileage/warranty restrictions?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    I, too, am pleased to learn KIA is standing up and doing the right thing. I may have to change my username. For now, though, I also await KIA's notification letter.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

You raise some good questions, jszabo17, and even a read of the link to the NHSTA recall document provided by the OP doesn't answer those questions.

I can empathize with your thoughts on your upcoming Boston to Florida trip. When I received the original notification letter from KIA last year, had a planned trip for SC to NY in less than 2 weeks. As you can imagine, the thought that the engine might fail at anytime was there every mile. Nothing happened, and that's probably due in part to the fact that my 2012 Optima has less than 40K on it. Still, the idea that it's a "ticking time bomb" is ever present.

Looking forward to having my KIA dealer inspect the engine and determining whether I've got a "good to go" engine, or an engine that's "got to go."

10. The Following User Says Kudos to ExKIAfan For This Useful Post:

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    I got the same NHTSA email bulletin. If you follow to their web-page there are several PDFs that can be downloaded that detail the entire issue leading up to today's news. See the OP above.

Also:
    Hyundai, Kia to recall nearly 1.5 million vehicles over engine issue | Reuters
    Last edited by williamhood; 04-07-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 60K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2014 Kia Optima EX
    Trim
    EX w/ Premium Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooshaw View Post
    Didn't see this posted (apologies if it's a repost), got this in my alert e-mail from NHTSA:

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17V224
    Manufacturer : Kia Motors America
    Subject : Bearing Wear may result in Engine Seizure

Make Model Model Years
    KIA OPTIMA 2011-2014
    KIA SORENTO 2012-2014
    KIA SPORTAGE 2011-2013

March 31, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V224000
    Bearing wear may result in the engine seizing, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V224000
    Manufacturer Kia Motors America
    Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 618,160

Summary

Kia Motor Company (Kia) is recalling certain 2011-2014 Optima, 2012-2014 Sorento and 2011-2013 Sportage vehicles. Machining errors during the engine manufacturing process may cause premature bearing wear within the engine.

Remedy
    Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine assembly, replacing it necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 25, 2017. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC147.

Notes
    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Description of the Defect :
    Metal debris may have been generated from factory machining operations as part of the manufacturing of the engine crankshaft which may not have been completely removed from the crankshafts oil passages during the cleaning process. In addition, the machining processes of the crankpins caused an uneven surface roughness. As a result, the metal debris and uneven surface roughness can restrict oil flow to the bearings, thereby increasing bearing temperatures causing premature bearing wear. A worn connecting rod bearing will produce a cyclic knocking noise from the engine and may also result in the illumination of the engine warning lamp and/or oil pressure lamp in the instrument panel. If the warnings are ignored and the vehicle is continued tobe driven, the bearing may fail and the vehicle could stall while in motion.

Recall document on NHSTA

Chronology
    Honestly, I'm pretty upset about this. I own a 2014 Kia Optima with just over 60K miles. I think this is going to absolutely kill the resale value whenever I go to sell it since it will always be identified as a replacement engine. On top of that, if my car is identified as needing a new engine, I will be inconvenienced with the fact I have to deal with not having my car for how long. I would rather they just take the car back and give me my money back. Any possible recourse for owners that would rather have that?

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2015 Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Optima SX-T
    I'm at the dealer right now getting my fishbowl tailight replaced and I was talking to them about this.

They said the current warranty extension covers the VIN and not just the original owner. (I did not know this)

They also said they haven't received the new details for how everything works with this news. As is, they have a hard time getting their hands on long blocks according to the SA I spoke with. It doesn't sound like anything that will phase them though and they have been seeing and dealing with these issues regularly.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Well now we have it. The exact cause of the engine failures.
    It must be really wide spread that KIA has to issue an recall. I read an article that the recall is also in affect in South Korea as well for the same exact manufacturing defects.
    Hyundai, Kia to recall nearly 1.5 million vehicles over engine issue

I guess I will just start using the same 5w-30 oil that my truck uses since oil type will not prevent this issue from occurring most likely and wait to see how my local dealership handles this recall.
    2014 Black KIA Optima SXL loaded w/

AEM dry performance drop-in air filter w/radiator cowl panel removed
    Hella yellow HID look H7 high beam light bulbs
    Running only Shell V-power 93 octane gas
    5w-40 Total Quartz 9000 Energy synthetic oil
    NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs(1422)
    Bosch Icon wiper blades- 24A, 18A
    Black check-mark fog light trim
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45-18 tires
    Hawk HPS 5.0 Front brake pads HB661B.667
    Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Rear brake pads 105.15440

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer89 View Post
    Honestly, I'm pretty upset about this. I own a 2014 Kia Optima with just over 60K miles. I think this is going to absolutely kill the resale value whenever I go to sell it since it will always be identified as a replacement engine. On top of that, if my car is identified as needing a new engine, I will be inconvenienced with the fact I have to deal with not having my car for how long. I would rather they just take the car back and give me my money back. Any possible recourse for owners that would rather have that?
    I see it as a positive with the only downside being the down time for a replacement. The new long block is basically a do over, which we rarely get in life anymore.
    Drive more, worry less.
    2012 Optima SX w/ premium touring & tech packages, Corsa Blue, born in the USA Jan 24 2012, bought Feb 11 2012 w/7 miles
    Mods; 15% tint all around, clear bra, dechromed/body color grill, blue brake calipers, plastidip'd emblems, dark tint window vent visors, painted the badge T grass green (T-GDI), Fumoto oil drain valve, yellow tint fogs, mud guards, General Altimax RT43 225/50/18 tires and full size spare
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Optima%20SX/

16. The Following 4 Users Say Kudos to SXexcess For This Useful Post:

17. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast