11-14 Optima Recall: Excessive Bearing Wear - Page 7
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 11-14 Optima Recall: Excessive Bearing Wear

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    EX
    Trim
    EX
    did you have symptoms or did they find metal shavings in the oil pan?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    I am on my phone so I am have not had a chance to read every page, but for me, my engine popped at 69,000 miles, just driving home from work and the engine stopped. No explosion, no leaking oil from heads or any gaskets. I was dumbfounded. Took the car home drained the oil and tried to turn the crank by hand. No luck. Had a tow truck come and tow it to the dealership, about 50 miles from my home. After they had it for two days they said that it was due to me not changing the oil. I argued with them on this as i changed the oil every 3 months or 5k miles whatever came first. I also told them that my other car is a Ford Explorer Sport that i change the oil at the same time. I just do them both as I have everything out to change oil. After they told me it would not be replaced under warranty i told them to go ahead and fix it. It started it out as a new engine, then turned into a new Turbo as well. I was pretty upset with the dealership, but there was not much i could do, i needed a car and i did not want another car payment as i was still paying for the Ford Explorer. $9000 later i had my car back. I asked if i could have my old parts and i wanted to tear the engine down and find out what happened. They said i could keep the old engine if i gave them another $4000 for a "Core" charge. I left and vowed to never by another Kia again. I was sad and happy as i love my Kia, but i hate all the issues I have had with it. Well, just 2 months ago, with 35108 miles on the new engine, i am driving down the road and the oil light came on, from what they said the oil inlet tube to the turbo failed. I said okay fix it, they told me it would be $400 for parts and labor, i said you guys told me the new long block had another 100k mile warranty when i replaced it, they said nope, only 35k. Well since the tube was replace, my car just feels like a turn now. seems hesitant but i can't afford to keep going to the dealership with and have them nickel and dime me to death. I already have $40k invested in the car just to keep it driveable. so my question is, do you think i should have them revisit my engine and look a possible reimbursement for my original engine replacement? Or is that not even an option.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SXexcess View Post
    What are the signs of a bad steering coupler?
    your steering wheel shakes bad on every bump, mine went bad...its a $1.09 part but at the time they wanted $500 to replace it, i did the work myself only to get in the mail 2 days letter saying its now under a recall, same with the brake lights not going off. .99 part to fix, takes about 2 seconds to do it, but they don't tell you that. they want to charge you $100 bucks to do it.

4. The Following User Says Kudos to whitecar For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Hyundai
    Model
    2012 Sonata
    Trim
    GLS
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecar View Post
    I am on my phone so I am have not had a chance to read every page, but for me, my engine popped at 69,000 miles, just driving home from work and the engine stopped. No explosion, no leaking oil from heads or any gaskets. I was dumbfounded. Took the car home drained the oil and tried to turn the crank by hand. No luck. Had a tow truck come and tow it to the dealership, about 50 miles from my home. After they had it for two days they said that it was due to me not changing the oil. I argued with them on this as i changed the oil every 3 months or 5k miles whatever came first. I also told them that my other car is a Ford Explorer Sport that i change the oil at the same time. I just do them both as I have everything out to change oil. After they told me it would not be replaced under warranty i told them to go ahead and fix it. It started it out as a new engine, then turned into a new Turbo as well. I was pretty upset with the dealership, but there was not much i could do, i needed a car and i did not want another car payment as i was still paying for the Ford Explorer. $9000 later i had my car back. I asked if i could have my old parts and i wanted to tear the engine down and find out what happened. They said i could keep the old engine if i gave them another $4000 for a "Core" charge. I left and vowed to never by another Kia again. I was sad and happy as i love my Kia, but i hate all the issues I have had with it. Well, just 2 months ago, with 35108 miles on the new engine, i am driving down the road and the oil light came on, from what they said the oil inlet tube to the turbo failed. I said okay fix it, they told me it would be $400 for parts and labor, i said you guys told me the new long block had another 100k mile warranty when i replaced it, they said nope, only 35k. Well since the tube was replace, my car just feels like a turn now. seems hesitant but i can't afford to keep going to the dealership with and have them nickel and dime me to death. I already have $40k invested in the car just to keep it driveable. so my question is, do you think i should have them revisit my engine and look a possible reimbursement for my original engine replacement? Or is that not even an option.
    Hyundai sent out a reimbursement claim form with the recall letter, so I suspect Kia will do the same.

6. The Following User Says Kudos to 80schild For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L (Limited)
    So much for the 100k mile powertrain warranty. You got ripped off sir.
    2014 SX-Limited: Ballin' On A Budget...

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    ok i'm sure this topic is pretty much beaten to death.... but here's an official detailed recall document from NHTSA.

Here's the Key part you'll need to read to see if you're covered:
    • All 2011-2013 MY Optima vehicles equipped with the 2.4L Gasoline DirectInjection (GDI) and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI (T-GDI) engines produced from August12, 2010 through September 27, 2013;
    • All 2014 MY Optima vehicles equipped with the 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection(GDI) and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI (T-GDI) engines produced at KMMG from August28, 2013 through May 15, 2014, with engines supplied by Hyundai MotorManufacturing Alabama; (443,825 vehicles)

I've bought my car April of 2012, so it seems like i'm definitely getting a new engine. If i remember correctly, my car was manufactured late (december?) of 2011.
    The recall is set to begin May 19th.

Planned Dealer Notification Date : MAY 22, 2017 - MAY 22, 2017
    Planned Owner Notification Date : MAY 25, 2017 - MAY 30, 2017
    Last edited by gmoney5588; 04-26-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    HID conversion (4300K), Led bumper reflectors
    LED cup holder
    Sound deadening
    Saiko Michi OCC-S1
    Power folding mirror

10. The Following User Says Kudos to gmoney5588 For This Useful Post:

Is there no new news on this?!

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by WISVW View Post
    Is there no new news on this?!
    see my post above, the dealers will not start notifying owners until May 25-30.
    So we about a week more of wait.
    HID conversion (4300K), Led bumper reflectors
    LED cup holder
    Sound deadening
    Saiko Michi OCC-S1
    Power folding mirror

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    As of today, this recall does not show up when I search for my VIN (2013 SXL) on KIA's safety recall link (I can't post the link ... not enough posts) ... Anyone else try?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    I've checked a few too, I haven't seen any 2011-2014 SX's show up on the nhsta site.
    2015 White Kia Optima LX
    Convenience Package

15. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567