Kia Optima Forums banner

Does the oil need to be changed

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Retired96 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 EX, we have had it now for 13 1/2 months and it only has 2500 miles on it..I had the oil changed at the dealer in July when it had 1000 miles.. ( it was free). Does it really need to be changed now considering its only been driven 1500 miles in 6 months... I only use synthetic oil and not worried about any cost as I already have the oil at home.. I just don't want Kia to hassle me saying the oil wasn't changed at 6 months intervals.

Were both retired and wife just doesn't drive that much....Heck my 2006 Sorento only has 60,000 miles

#2 ·
Congratulations on the car! I would say no as long as the car when driven gets fully warmed up (driven at speed at least 20 miles or so) to help cook off the water and other nasties that get in the crankcase and mix with the oil. If it does not, then I'd change it every 6 months or so. Oil's cheap, engines are not.

#3 ·
I completely agree with William here ^^

#4 ·
I would just changed the oil even if the engine was not driven due to contamination like mentioned earlier.

Oil does have a shelf-life as you can say, and it does lose it protective properties if left on the shelf too long; and if it is allowed to sit in an engine for too long as well.

The real question is how long does the oil has to sit unused before it loses it protective properties?

I do not really know that answer, so I recommend just doing what KIA recommends and change the oil every six months even if you do not drive the car often.

Sometimes saving a small amount of money now can cost you more money in the long term.

Change the oil.

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat with a '13 Hybrid that I've owned for two years and two months. The car has 11,600 miles on the Odometer and I make sure to change oil at six month intervals as required by the Kia maintainance schedule. Oil has been changed at 1315, 3763, 7375, 8662, and 11038 miles. I can always find dealership oil change coupons for $18.95 or $19.95, so this is an inexpensive way to avoid a warranty snafu somewhere down the road.

#6 ·
Change your oil; I read the manual and they require a 6 month interval max to maintain your warranty regardless of mileage. It says 3750 Mi OR 6 months -- but its up to you. I'm going in for an oil change today and going full synthetic which the dealer says should be good for 7500 miles. My only concern is the oil filter itself ; with 3750 intervals I get a new filter more often vs using the same oil filter for 7500 miles.

#7 ·
Can anyone please explain how Kia or anyone could prove that you did or did not change the oil at their recommended interval? This fear is unfounded. Your warranty will not be voided unless they can prove that the engine broke because the oil wasn't changed. Engines are not as delicate as we make them out to be. They are robust machines that are designed to run for 300k miles. Your warranty will be long expired before you should be worried about engine failure.

Now, I'm not saying to never change your oil, but don't sweat over it if you're past due.

#8 ·
When there is an issue with the engine, the burden of proof is on the owner to prove they did in fact change the oil. It does not have to be at the dealership but if you have no paperwork backing you up, they can deny the warranty repair. I'm sure some folks change a little early and some a little longer, the oil change is not an exact date/time thing however, we all know there are some places that will play hardball.

#10 ·
But that's only if the engine failure is determined to be caused by lack of oil changes. If the oil has nothing to do with it, then there's nothing to prove either way. And seriously, when's the last time an engine failed because of 6 month old oil?

Once again, I'm not saying oil changes should be neglected, but let's not act like they're the difference between a smooth running car and a brick on wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.