New Kia Owner... Nervous!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kia Owner... Nervous!

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX-Dark Cherry Metallic

New Kia Owner... Nervous!

Hey everyone, I'm Kristi and I live in NW Illinois. I just bought a 2013 Kia Optima LX in Dark Cherry Metallic. I got it pretty cheap because it had some cosmetic damages like a cigarette burn in the seat, small scratches, and a huge scratch in the back side bumper with a piece of the bumper at the very bottom broken off.... It's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. When I test drove it, I told them something was wrong, they dismissed it as "It's windy outside." They said they'd check it and call me. They put two new tires on it and aligned it, drove great. They said for the price, they'll fix the huge scratches on the back bumper, but not replace it or patch the broken part. I was happy with that. I test drive it again, drives great, I buy it. The next day I tried to put gas in it...the fuel door is broken and was rigged shut and the button doesn't work to it anyway. DAMMIT. So... I have an appointment and hour away to get that fixed. $53 for the fuel lid door. $75 for the fuel assembly. And $120-140 for paint to paint the door. Yowch. So, hopefully it isn't going to cost me more than $300 next week. Whoever had the car didn't take good care of the outside. They broke the door open, looks like with probably a screwdriver and chipped the paint around it. I got it all washed and Armor All'd today and it looks much better (the pic is the day after when it was still a little dirty). Seems to run just a little rougher than I expected, so will probably get that checked, too.

Anyway, came here to find out more about the car, some mods to make it look sharper, recalls, TSB's, how to fix stuff ourselves with some things. I ordered a new badge for the trunk lid, looks water damaged. So... nice to meet ya. Been lurking for a week. (Still trying to find the full TSB about the fuel filler door if ya happen to have it).
    New Kia Owner... Nervous!-optima.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Hi Kristi,

Welcome aboard to the Optima Forums!

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the car that you are having.

If you are willing to wait, we can order you the parts you need for much cheaper than the dealer.

We also sell this one here, but it's not yet listed on our site.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to us here if you have any questions or need help finding any mods for your ride.

Oh and have a great weekend too!

-David
    ​​

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX-Dark Cherry Metallic
    Well shoot, your images aren't showing up for me. It's just taking me to Gmail. Weird. I'm not sure how long I can wait.... We have it rigged our own way with a round metal piece with a clamp and have to rip it open to get gas.

Another thing...the mpg isn't quite what I was expecting. But I do love the car, the color is beautiful and hoping I can get it in much better condition soon. I'm excited to put some cool stuff on it this year. Thanks for the welcome. I'll search around a little more on the forums for more ideas and for that TSB bulletin about the fuel lid and whatnot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2015 Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Optima SX-T
    Welcome Kristi! Sorry to hear about the issues. The cosmetic stuff is a bummer, but the car looks nice. I dig the color.

What's going on with it "running rough"?How bad is the fuel mileage right now?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Tplss96 View Post
    Well shoot, your images aren't showing up for me. It's just taking me to Gmail. Weird. I'm not sure how long I can wait.... We have it rigged our own way with a round metal piece with a clamp and have to rip it open to get gas.

Another thing...the mpg isn't quite what I was expecting. But I do love the car, the color is beautiful and hoping I can get it in much better condition soon. I'm excited to put some cool stuff on it this year. Thanks for the welcome. I'll search around a little more on the forums for more ideas and for that TSB bulletin about the fuel lid and whatnot.
    Sorry, these should show up:

You're very welcome. We can have this item to your door in about 7-10 days or less if you end up being interested in it, instead of the overpriced OEM one the dealer will sell you.
    ​​

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX-Dark Cherry Metallic
    (In typical Monday fashion, I posted this about an hour ago. Obviously it didn't go through. Good thing I accidentally copied it all before I hit send. MONDAY.)

Sorry, couldn't log in all weekend. My phone isn't a fan of the forums, I'll have to check the settings. K5 Optima Store, I will let you know. I am still going to the Kia appointment on Wednesday to get the two recalls fixed, but I may have to wait on the door. Hot water heater bottom fell out. Need a new one and some new pipes. This is my life.

TurboJeff, I just hear some noises that I think shouldn't be there for a newer car. I hear a slight squeak when I'm driving sometimes. When I start it and before I take off, it sounds just...rough. Maybe it needs new spark plugs and air filter... or a whole new exhaust. It's a little bit 'rumbly' and louder for a 2013, if you know what I mean. My dad was always my mechanic, but now that he's gone, I need to actually find one. It has 72k miles on it. My gas mpg shows 21-ish through town and goes up to 26mpg when I'm on the highway. That was only one tank though. Just seems like it shouldn't use over a 1/4 tank of gas to drive 25 miles on the highway and 25 miles back. I compare everything to my 03 Focus though... I only had to fill that bad boy up every 2-3 weeks even driving through town. That car was a tank with 240,000 miles!

I need to read up on rims. Sometime this year I would love something like this:
    (I guess I can't put up links, either. KMC Wheels website. Rockstar wheels. Black star in the center.)

I don't know how to buy them to fit though or make sure they'd fit. I've never thought about tires or rims, but I'd like something black on it...and that star is cool.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    (In typical Monday fashion, I posted this about an hour ago. Obviously it didn't go through. Good thing I accidentally copied it all before I hit send. MONDAY.)

Sorry, couldn't log in all weekend. My phone isn't a fan of the forums, I'll have to check the settings. K5 Optima Store, I will let you know. I am still going to the Kia appointment on Wednesday to get the two recalls fixed, but I may have to wait on the door. Hot water heater bottom fell out. Need a new one and some new pipes. This is my life.

TurboJeff, I just hear some noises that I think shouldn't be there for a newer car. I hear a slight squeak when I'm driving sometimes. When I start it and before I take off, it sounds just...rough. Maybe it needs new spark plugs and air filter... or a whole new exhaust. It's a little bit 'rumbly' and louder for a 2013, if you know what I mean. My dad was always my mechanic, but now that he's gone, I need to actually find one. It has 72k miles on it. My gas mpg shows 21-ish through town and goes up to 26mpg when I'm on the highway. That was only one tank though. Just seems like it shouldn't use over a 1/4 tank of gas to drive 25 miles on the highway and 25 miles back. I compare everything to my 03 Focus though... I only had to fill that bad boy up every 2-3 weeks even driving through town. That car was a tank with 240,000 miles!

(I guess I can't put up links, either. KMC Wheels website. Rockstar wheels. Black star in the center.)

I don't know how to buy them to fit though or make sure they'd fit. I've never thought about tires or rims, but I'd like something black on it...and that star is cool.
    Hey no problem at all.

Just let me know if you have any questions or you need assistance.
    ​​

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    2015 Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Optima SX-T

Sounds like a typical Monday for me..lol

At your mileage, I'd say if it hasn't been done yet, it would benefit greatly from a tune up. Plugs, air/fuel filter, etc.. I'm not sure where you're located, but I'd make it a priority to find a good mechanic local to you who could just check the car over. Sounds like it's probably just maintenance items, but it's best to get it checked out.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX-Dark Cherry Metallic
    I definitely have to get the tune up. The dealer said they did all it, but I'm questioning that ("170 point inspection" and whatnot). I'm trying to find a good mechanic that needs the money on the side. That's pretty much how we've always done it as my dad did it on the side for extra money, too.

Heading home soon to see what the damage is on the water heater and new plumbing. Hoping I can get a tune up and any repairs in the next month. My daughter is in college in North Carolina and I'd really like to go see her soon... just afraid since I'm new to this car. I don't want to get stranded 1,000 miles from home.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX-Dark Cherry Metallic
    Since I can't post anywhere else yet, figured I'd post an updated pic. Took two washes and 3 dusting and Armor All's to get all the dust and dirt off it. Some genius must have left the windows down by the cornfield for a while. Spent 2 hours wiping it down on Friday and Saturday we replaced the water damaged emblem on the trunk... the youtube video lied. It was much harder to do than theirs.

The scratches and broken bumper are brutal to look at though.

New Kia Owner... Nervous!-1.jpgNew Kia Owner... Nervous!-2.jpgNew Kia Owner... Nervous!-3.jpg

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast