New member from Arlington, WA
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New member from Arlington, WA

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX

New member from Arlington, WA

I've got a 2012 SX I bought used back in 2014. Love / hate the car. Love driving it, hate taking it in for service and repairs. The usual. Love driving it on open roads, preferably back roads.

Came here after shopping around on the K5 store and seeing some options on what I can do to spice up the rig. Computer guy by trade but willing to install items to a car and learn. Usually items that hang on a car or off an engine are not a big deal, however ripping in to the engine - yeah not me.

Been wavering on whether to keep the car or not. I've had the battery and the turbo lines / gasket's replaced and I'm only at 62.5k mileage, to me not a good sign. After the recent cold here, found alot of condensation on the inside of the car which caught me off guard (carpets were soaked).

Trying to figure out which direction to go, if this car turns out to have a lot of repairs I might as well go old school where I expect those issues (grab an old 240 or 280z). If I keep it I would like to upgrade these items (yeah at this point I'm "all in"):

1. Audio on the car - not sure on the impacts with warranty etc. on the car
    2. Emblems - I've ordered some new emblems to get the stock ones off the car
    3. Air intake - Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata K&N Typhoon Intake System
    4. Oil catch can - not sure on which one
    5. Kia & Hyundai Performance Throttle
    6. Spark plugs
    7. Tires - still running stock, yeah I know
    8. Sway bars - yes I like back roads
    9. Passenger seat riser kit

Not sure how much to do myself and how much to get a "professional" involved. And to be honest, where to find a said "professional" who's willing to install various items. Factoring all the items in for a direction. I'd probably love the car a whole lot more if I didn't have to interface with the dealer so much - but I'm guessing that's the "new"ish car experience.

Any rate, cheers. I'll be lurking and gleaning info off of these forums best I can for user experiences and ideas.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Welcome to the Optima Forums!

Let us know if we can help out or be of any assistance.

David
    ​​

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX

Thanks.

Thanks David. Your name comes up with quite a few compliments - well done.

I guess if you have any inputs on items 1 - 9 that you as a vendor deal with or have developed an opinion on what is best - I'd welcome them. Your activity in the community and experience adds a lot of weight to your opinion.

From reading the comments on k5optimastore, quite a few people are DIY but there are references to having professionals do things if you have to argue "warranty". Not sure what other people's experiences have been or what the mindset is when it comes to dealing with the dealership and how they'll deflect every chance they can get. At this point I'm also not sure if I should worry about the warranty anymore since I'm past 60k.

I bought new emblems not because I've done anything to the car yet - just wanted something different. Did the same with rims already (stock drove me nuts). I've already created a wish list but I guess for now I'm mentally trying to weigh in dumping more money in to a car that I'm hesitant about. Perhaps fixing turbo lines by 62k is standard these days. And yes I have a son chomping at the bit to inherit the car so - whatever I do I'm sure someone other than I will appreciate it someday. Especially if I keep it in decent condition.

I'll ask questions in the appropriate places in the forum, not here

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Welcome & thank you for the kind words.

I'm not too sure what type of input you are looking for on your list 1-9, other than what I think is best?

To be clear, nothing that you install on your vehicle will automatically affect your warranty, as that is now how the warranty works.

For Kia, the manufacturer to void a customers warranty, legally, they would need to prove that whatever modification you did, was the direct result or breakdown of another component.

1. Audio on the car - not sure on the impacts with warranty etc. on the car - This is vague, not sure what you mean "audio on the car"
    2. Emblems - I've ordered some new emblems to get the stock ones off the car - N/A
    3. Air intake - Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata K&N Typhoon Intake System - Great choice
    4. Oil catch can - not sure on which one - You can choose from any of them - https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...oil-catch-cans
    5. Kia & Hyundai Performance Throttle - Do you mean the TB Spacer we have here: https://www.k5optimastore.com/produc...le-body-spacer
    6. Spark plugs - If tuning the car, stick with the HKS Plugs, if not tuning the car, go with the NGK plugs
    7. Tires - still running stock, yeah I know - N/A
    8. Sway bars - yes I like back roads - https://www.k5optimastore.com/produc...stabilizer-bar
    9. Passenger seat riser kit - https://www.k5optimastore.com/produc...seat-riser-kit

For further questions or assistance, please send us an email directly to Sales@K5OptimaStore.com

Hope this helps.

David
    ​​

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    Thanks I'll shoot an email off. You nailed most of the parts I was looking at.

The stereo unit was what I was hoping to replace. I know on my wife's 2014 sorento that she loves the UVO etc. and messing with the radio might be messing with more than I bargained for. However on the optima - no UVO.

Any rate open to ideas from all sorts. I'll ask in other sections just haven't gotten there yet.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Weur View Post
    Thanks I'll shoot an email off. You nailed most of the parts I was looking at.

The stereo unit was what I was hoping to replace. I know on my wife's 2014 sorento that she loves the UVO etc. and messing with the radio might be messing with more than I bargained for. However on the optima - no UVO.

Any rate open to ideas from all sorts. I'll ask in other sections just haven't gotten there yet.
    Welcome, sounds good. Will get back to your email as well.

In regards to the radio, we do have the UNAVI option as well shown here: https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/unavi
    ​​

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    Yeah saw that last night . . . after I sent the email. Oops. Haven't seen too many threads on people using it.

Created an account on your site and a wish list. . .yeah that minor detail called money. But if you can get in to that or if it's tied to my account in some fashion that should give you an idea as to what I'm considering.

Thanks for your time.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Weur View Post
    Yeah saw that last night . . . after I sent the email. Oops. Haven't seen too many threads on people using it.

Created an account on your site and a wish list. . .yeah that minor detail called money. But if you can get in to that or if it's tied to my account in some fashion that should give you an idea as to what I'm considering.

Thanks for your time.
    No problem.

Actually quite a few members of the forum have ordered it and most of the conversation about it is in our forum thread on the site found here: UNAVI X5/F1 OEM Integrated Navigation System - K5 Optima Store

Will be getting back to you before the end of the day today!!
    ​​

11. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread