Chicago Area DRL Install???
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Area DRL Install???

Riding Lawn Mower

Chicago Area DRL Install???

Anyone in the Chicago area install DRLs?? Looking into doing this, but I've read that you need to end up cutting some of the frame on the front end. Wasn't too sure if I'd want to tackle this job alone or not. Working with a 2011 SX.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

I installed mine, and yes you need to cut off about 5"-6" of the bumper support on each side. You'll need a Sawzell and a couple blades. The reinforced steel that they used on the bumper support isn't very forgiving- I went through 3 blades total doing both sides.

I wouldn't mind installing the DRL's for you as far as the wiring goes but cutting the support is something that I'd let you do. lol
    JHall520's Showroom
    2013 2.0L SX Ebony Black

Shuttle Driver
    Look up Loman4ec on the forums. He can make you a set that DOESN'T require you to cut bumper and they are cheaper! Cutting bumper can equal warranty/insurance issues if you ever wreck car n

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Goober2432 View Post
    Look up Loman4ec on the forums. He can make you a set that DOESN'T require you to cut bumper and they are cheaper! Cutting bumper can equal warranty/insurance issues if you ever wreck car n
    About that... Several members on this forum have contacted their insurance companies before attempting to cut the bumper; to make sure that if there "was" an accident involving the front end of the vehicle, that it would be covered. Just call your insurance company and make sure they give you the ok- whether it be verbal, or better yet in writing.
    JHall520's Showroom
    2013 2.0L SX Ebony Black

If you're feeling exceptionally paranoid, you can buy a 2013 bumper and use that to replace the stock 2011 bumper. The 2013 bumper is shaped with the ends of the bumper going up at an angle so as to avoid the spot that the DRL's need to occupy. That ought to keep you covered just in case someone you sell your car to someone who 1.) gets in a really serious collision involving a death or serious injury, and 2.) discovers you cut the bumper, and 3.) decides you have deep enough pockets to justify suing you in an attempt to blame these deaths or serious injuries at least partially on you.

Might wanna also talk to your insurance agent, and / or your attorney.

Shuttle Driver
    Here is Loman4ec's LED NO CUT drl's. Just to let you know what they look like. Easy to install, no cutting required.

Here is my version DIY DRL LEDs
    2012 Corsa Blue Optima SX
    Tech/Premium Touring Package
    20% tint all around
    Carbon K debadged
    5000k LED DRLs
    5000k LED Fogs
    Oil catch can
    Injen air intake
    Luxon strut bar

Previous cars: 2002 BMW 328Ci, 2006 BMW 530i, 2009 Acura TSX.

Riding Lawn Mower
    So on the 2013's you don't need to cut the bumper?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Thanks for all of the info, guys!

So far, its sounding like it might be easiest to get a hold of "Loman4ec" and check out his that don't require cutting...? Thanks for the heads up on this, Goober. Kind of seems like a no-brainer considering the work involved with cutting, not to mention the lawsuit/warranty/insurance issues. I know that the insurance thing could probably be OK once looked into, but still.

Anyone see any reason NOT to check them out?

Jhall -- Thanks man! I'll definitely get a hold of you if I decide to go that route. I think I might check into the other ones for now and see what I find out?

Andrey -- Those look pretty good! Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely have to check into those as well.

Riding Lawn Mower
    So I messaged Loman4ec and from the pictures he sent, it looks like they are similar to the style that Andrey has. While I like those, I think I would prefer an OEM look with the actual light housing instead of just the LED strip. Looks better when turned off, in my humble opinion.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast