1st Oil change - synthetic or regular?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Oil change - synthetic or regular?

Learner's Permit

1st Oil change - synthetic or regular?

I'm scheduled for my first oil change and was wondering if any of you on this forum are using synthetic oil on your hybrids.? Seems to be a good choice for the EX/SX turbo models given their higher temperature operating levels. But is the extra money worth it for they hybrid engine. Unlike most internal combustion engines, ours run on a Atkinson Cycle, not sure if it's higher or lower compression vs. std. So, am I better off changing regular oil more frequently or going for the synthetic. Your feedback always appreciated!!!

BTW, instead of waiting 7,500 miles for the first oil change, I always do it at around 3k for a new engine; then revert to manufactures's recommended service intervals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran XxHaimBondxX's Avatar
    I just don't get the logic about it. Why bother with the manufacturer's recommendations after the oil change at all? If you feel like doing your own thing, throw away the manual, it's your car.
    Cocaine Hybrid Premium

Soon2Kia...Synthetic will not harm anything and for me it's just added piece of mind knowing I am putting in the best I can for my car. At my Walmart, Shell Rotella synthetic is just as expensive as the old conventional stuff so why not use that? I watch sales at O'Reilly's, Auto-Zone, Walmart, and Napa for oil prices and have never paid more than 3-4 bucks for synthetic than I would for Conventional. In some case I've paid the same. I always try to stick with Rotella or Castrol. It's a win win for your car. However conventional oil is allot better than it was 10, even 20 years ago. I don't use the 7,500 mi manufacturer recommendation. I will be doing my first oil change on my Optima here this weekend. I am almost at 2000 mi. On my Forte I changed it at 1300 miles and did it every 2500 miles thereafter. I will follow that same philosophy for my Optima. Some will say that's crazy and that's fine. I pay the bill on my car and I need it to last so that's how I do things. I agree with XxHaimBondxX, you do what works for you as long as you at least follow the recommended schedule. It all comes down to personal preference.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    If you check the manual, the 2.0 Turbo's first oil change is at 3000, then every 5000 miles. You must use KIA filters, as per their requirement, there's a thread about it on here, you can do a search.
    I've used synthetic for every oil change, and the dealer always changes it, this way, there's no question as to who does it, and when.
    Regardless what others may tell you, you risk voiding the warranty unless you follow their guidelines. KIA will NOT honor the warranty unless you use their filter, and can prove your adherence to their oil change intervals. So if you do it yourself, save every reciept and record the mileage.
    Link to Car Color Poll
    http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/5-...-your-car.html

Previous cars:
    2002 Grand Prix GTP 3.8 supercharged 240hp
    2006 Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 303hp
    2009 G8 GXP 415 hp
    2011 Optima SX Premium Touring & Tech pkgs.

How often would you synthetic oil users change your oil/filter? Would you wait 1yr/10000 miles?
    2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Premium: Snow White Pearl, beige leather, Convenience and Technology Pkgs., Blackwood interior wood pkg., Window tint

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    Follow the MFG's intervals as recommended, period, not anything else.
    Link to Car Color Poll
    http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/5-...-your-car.html

Previous cars:
    2002 Grand Prix GTP 3.8 supercharged 240hp
    2006 Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 303hp
    2009 G8 GXP 415 hp
    2011 Optima SX Premium Touring & Tech pkgs.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimaSX View Post
    If you check the manual, the 2.0 Turbo's first oil change is at 3000, then every 5000 miles. You must use KIA filters, as per their requirement, there's a thread about it on here, you can do a search.
    I've used synthetic for every oil change, and the dealer always changes it, this way, there's no question as to who does it, and when.
    Regardless what others may tell you, you risk voiding the warranty unless you follow their guidelines. KIA will NOT honor the warranty unless you use their filter, and can prove your adherence to their oil change intervals. So if you do it yourself, save every reciept and record the mileage.
    <<<< BIG MISCONCEPTION as stated by a employee at Mentor Kia who is a acquaintance of my wife and also agreed by the appraiser who did my car. I just traded in my Forte for my Optima and I showed said appraiser all of my maintenance receipts. He looked at all my oil changes and said "Wow, you are crazy for changing your oil so much, you know you don't have to change synthetic that often". I said "Yea, I know but that's how I do things, I was just worried that not having it done by Kia would be a problem". He just shrugged his shoulders and said "All we care about is you are doing it, and obviously by your receipts and looking at your fluid it's getting done". He then said "It's the people we know aren't taking care of their car that run into the problems and try to pin it on us but obviously you are OCD about your car so you are fine". I won't lie I was worried at first about it during the trading in process of my Forte but after talking to numerous people at my dealership I can rest assured that doing my own oil will be fine. A monkey can change oil and most people are just as qualified as "SOME" of their service techs so I don't see what the problem is. I do agree with you OptimaSX that you should use a Kia certified filter, although I don't. I use Wix brand.

Learner's Permit
    Update! Just performed my first oil change and went with.... drum roll..... regular oil. KIA Dulbin (CA) was running a $29.95 oil/filter, safety check promo... synthetic would have been another $40.00! Think I'm going to change it every 5k miles. Service adviser said they use synthetic on the turbo (they run hotter), and told me that the hybrid's "Atkinson cycle engine" runs at a lower temperature (not sure what's the difference between ours and a regular ICE); so for less than $32.00 bucks my ride is good to go... they even washed and vacuumed the car for me! Oh, they told me i was running tires way to low at 32psi; they should be at 35psi. That's it for now, and thanks for all your feedback on prior threads!

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2kia View Post
    Update! Just performed my first oil change and went with.... drum roll..... regular oil. KIA Dulbin (CA) was running a $29.95 oil/filter, safety check promo... synthetic would have been another $40.00! Think I'm going to change it every 5k miles. Service adviser said they use synthetic on the turbo (they run hotter), and told me that the hybrid's "Atkinson cycle engine" runs at a lower temperature (not sure what's the difference between ours and a regular ICE); so for less than $32.00 bucks my ride is good to go... they even washed and vacuumed the car for me! Oh, they told me i was running tires way to low at 32psi; they should be at 35psi. That's it for now, and thanks for all your feedback on prior threads!

I just purchased mine and I went for the oil changes included pkg (it was only $20 more) and the dealer said to go with the synthetic. I figure "hey, as long as I don't have to come out of pocket RIGHT THEN". My uncle has been singing the praises of synthetic for the longest, so I'd give it a whirl. BUT......
    If you go synthetic, you can't go back (at least that's what I've been told).

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements