2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!

Riding Lawn Mower

2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!

Hello all!. Dropped my my local Concord (No. California) KIA dealership and they had TWO '13 hybrids. They were kind enough for a quick test-drive and a photo shoot!

1. Visual Differences. Compared to my 2012 there's a EX on the trunk and Hybrid on the sides - that's it; There are no other visual differences between the 11's and 12's.
    2. Interior. I sat in both a Leather/Cloth and full Leather EX's and I immediately noticed a big difference. The seats are better contoured, the headrests sit further forward (more supportive), and the seats are much more cushier. Chris told me that Kia is using memory foam on the front seats... not sure about that, but they are much more comfortable. The heated steering wheel button now sits next to the dash dim toggle switch (no longer on the steering column), and the leather rapped steering wheel is as smooth as a baby's bottom (mine is far more granular); feels very nice in my hands - more upscale. All other features are there. That's it, everything else inside looks the same.
    3. Trunk. Kia claims more space... the vent was re-routed - it looks slightly bigger, but not by that much.
    4. Test Drive. Here's the big surprise... wow, what a difference! During my brief drive the electric motor did more work than I'm currently used to. Under normal acceleration, the '13 felt much quicker with the gas engine not coming on at all (up to about 40 MPH), that hardly happen in my '12. Furthermore, once the '13 gas engine kicked in, it was a far smoother event. The Kia dealer told me that new power train addressed and corrected all of the jerkiness of the current hybrid system. He also told me that the mileage estimates are far more realistic as well. I believe that the torque was raised by 40 ft/lbs and the car sure felt much quicker - I did not notice the gas engine struggling on/off during brisk acceleration but again, it was a short test drive. Very different feel!!! (for the better)
    5. Sales pitch. Chris told me that they would pay top $ for my '12 and that there is a $1,000 cash-back on all '13 hybrids and a $2,000 loyalty bonus cash... I paid $28,200 1 1/2 years ago and currently owe about $22,000 - maybe, just maybe I'll see what they have to offer. It may be worth doing for the ultra comfy seats & improved drive (will have to take it on the freeway as well!). Enjoy the pics and let me know what you all think!

Cheers!2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!-imag0288-2-.jpg2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!-imag0286-2-.jpg2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!-imag0285-2-.jpg2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!-imag0284-2-.jpg2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!-imag0283-2-.jpg
    2013 Satin Metal/Black EX | Built 2/13
    "Left Lane Hybrid II"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Nice, I'm glad they improved the electric motor and gave it more power. I wonder if us 2011&2012 KOH will get a software upgrade to improve our electric motor.......
    -2012 Snow White Pearl KOH with Premium Tech pkg
    -K&N air filter
    -CREE LED Reverse Lights (from K5 store)
    -CREE LED Fog Lights (from K5 store)
    -Previous car 2009 Acura TL

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    I would love it if they made the torque higher than the horsepower, they probably can't do 40ib ft in our configuration but if they could flip them that wold be a bit better. Also, some programming of the transmission for those folks that experience acceleration issues. I know it's geared more for efficiency but it could be better in some situations. I typically flip it to manual and drop a gear or 2 and then stomp it if I need extra power (yeah, it kills the economy but it does the trick). I have to go check my local dealers to see if they have any locally to drive.

Lube Tech
    Under normal acceleration, the '13 felt much quicker with the gas engine not coming on at all (up to about 40 MPH)...

With a full charge before leaving (external charger !!!) I could possibly make it to work without the gas engine kicking in.

It looks like most of the dealers in San Diego have a few on their lots now too. Thanks for the review, I might have to go drive a new one now.
    2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
    Snow White Pearl
    19x8.5 Ace Alloy Convex ~ Titanium
    245/40-19 Achilles ATR Sport
    B&G S2 Sport Springs-1" Drop
    Black 3D K Emblems
    20% Tint
    Led's

Nice review! I'm still amazed they're pushing this car out so late. It should have come out with the 13's last year IMO. Glad to read it runs even smoother. I'll wait for the body change. Or most likely keep what I have. It runs fine besides the hand full of cold start hiccups. And that is only during the winter months. Which we don't have many of here in the south any way.
    2012 Light Graphite Hybrid Optima with conv package, 20% tint. Born 6/12/2012 adopted 7/12/2012.

Learner's Permit
    I saw a few on a lot in Michigan, they were marked down 3k from sticker already.

Learner's Permit
    Funny, my 2013 which I picked up a week ago today, doesn't have Hybrid badges on the front doors as the U.S ones do...
    In any case, I my economy is now 6.4 liters/100 km or 36..8 MPGs (U.S). Every time I look at the estimated mileage to next fillup, it keeps increasing. I really like my 2013!

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    I wonder why they put Hybrid badges on the door? Having it on the back is good enough, looks like debadge project in the making.

Learner's Permit
    Yeah... I agree. Looks a bit hokey...

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements