Kia Optima Forums banner

2013 Hybrid EX test drive, pictures, and differences!

13K views 76 replies 14 participants last post by  Waynerm002 
#1 ·
Hello all!. Dropped my my local Concord (No. California) KIA dealership and they had TWO '13 hybrids. They were kind enough for a quick test-drive and a photo shoot!

1. Visual Differences. Compared to my 2012 there's a EX on the trunk and Hybrid on the sides - that's it; There are no other visual differences between the 11's and 12's.
2. Interior. I sat in both a Leather/Cloth and full Leather EX's and I immediately noticed a big difference. The seats are better contoured, the headrests sit further forward (more supportive), and the seats are much more cushier. Chris told me that Kia is using memory foam on the front seats... not sure about that, but they are much more comfortable. The heated steering wheel button now sits next to the dash dim toggle switch (no longer on the steering column), and the leather rapped steering wheel is as smooth as a baby's bottom (mine is far more granular); feels very nice in my hands - more upscale. All other features are there. That's it, everything else inside looks the same.
3. Trunk. Kia claims more space... the vent was re-routed - it looks slightly bigger, but not by that much.
4. Test Drive. Here's the big surprise... wow, what a difference! During my brief drive the electric motor did more work than I'm currently used to. Under normal acceleration, the '13 felt much quicker with the gas engine not coming on at all (up to about 40 MPH), that hardly happen in my '12. Furthermore, once the '13 gas engine kicked in, it was a far smoother event. The Kia dealer told me that new power train addressed and corrected all of the jerkiness of the current hybrid system. He also told me that the mileage estimates are far more realistic as well. I believe that the torque was raised by 40 ft/lbs and the car sure felt much quicker - I did not notice the gas engine struggling on/off during brisk acceleration but again, it was a short test drive. Very different feel!!! (for the better)
5. Sales pitch. Chris told me that they would pay top $ for my '12 and that there is a $1,000 cash-back on all '13 hybrids and a $2,000 loyalty bonus cash... I paid $28,200 1 1/2 years ago and currently owe about $22,000 - maybe, just maybe I'll see what they have to offer. It may be worth doing for the ultra comfy seats & improved drive (will have to take it on the freeway as well!). Enjoy the pics and let me know what you all think!

Cheers! Vehicle Car Floor Family car
Car seat cover Vehicle Car Car seat Seat belt
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Mode of transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Trunk

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice, I'm glad they improved the electric motor and gave it more power. I wonder if us 2011&2012 KOH will get a software upgrade to improve our electric motor.......

#3 ·
I would love it if they made the torque higher than the horsepower, they probably can't do 40ib ft in our configuration but if they could flip them that wold be a bit better. Also, some programming of the transmission for those folks that experience acceleration issues. I know it's geared more for efficiency but it could be better in some situations. I typically flip it to manual and drop a gear or 2 and then stomp it if I need extra power (yeah, it kills the economy but it does the trick). I have to go check my local dealers to see if they have any locally to drive.

#4 ·
Under normal acceleration, the '13 felt much quicker with the gas engine not coming on at all (up to about 40 MPH)...

With a full charge before leaving (external charger !!!) I could possibly make it to work without the gas engine kicking in.

#5 ·
It looks like most of the dealers in San Diego have a few on their lots now too. Thanks for the review, I might have to go drive a new one now.

#6 ·
Nice review! I'm still amazed they're pushing this car out so late. It should have come out with the 13's last year IMO. Glad to read it runs even smoother. I'll wait for the body change. Or most likely keep what I have. It runs fine besides the hand full of cold start hiccups. And that is only during the winter months. Which we don't have many of here in the south any way.

#8 ·
Funny, my 2013 which I picked up a week ago today, doesn't have Hybrid badges on the front doors as the U.S ones do...
In any case, I my economy is now 6.4 liters/100 km or 36..8 MPGs (U.S). Every time I look at the estimated mileage to next fillup, it keeps increasing. I really like my 2013!

#11 ·
Took my car in for it's first service at 6600 miles, after my NY run I figured it was time to get that oil change done. The dealer had quite a few of the 2013 Hybrids in stock. Got a sales person to get one out for me to drive. All I can say is wow! I noticed the seats have a different design and felt better, the bolster on the legs and sides feels better, the steering wheel looks a little thicker and felt nice, it was a smooth leather instead of the grainy type I have on my 2012. I din't pay much attention to the rest of the interior as it looked the same. The car we took out had 4 mies on it, battery was 1/3 charged, engine fired up as the car was started. The car was more responsive rolling off, felt like a regular car. After going off the lot and on the road, the car did not feel like a hybrid at all! Certainly rolled up to 20mph quicker than my car does. When the gas engine kicked in to power the car up to speed, it was not noticeable at all! Took it out on the highway and that thing was hitting 80 without any effort, in ECO mode! The salesman was impressed, imagine that! He said he dove the 2012 and could notice when the car made the transition, had to turn on the hybrid graphic in the screen for him to see. When I mentioned it had switched to EV mode, he did not believe it had until he started to watch it happen in the screen. We decided to go a bit longer with it, to get the battery to charge up more to use EV for longer.

I got it up to 3/4 cruising at 65, got off at the exit and went the other direction. Turned ECO off and accelerated, car was quick up to 80 and he said "wow, this thing feels like a regular car!" He checked the economy and it was at 44.6mpg, that surprised me! I put it back in ECO mode to and continued driving, cruising at 80 and in the mid 40's, i'm impressed! Took it up to 90 and the response from the transmission was immediate, no delay, no hunting, it just gave you the power when your right foot requested it! I also noticed the engine was not noisy during the drive, maybe they put more insulation in or due to the higher power electric motor, the engine didn't have to rev as high to give you the power. I like it a lot!

Getting back into my car, I can say it still drive quicker than when I first got it but it sounds breathless when accelerating up to highway speed and the suspension was a little softer than the new one. I did notice the fender gap looks a little less as well on the new one and the cornering was better than mine. I am going yo have to take one out again, without a sales person so I can drive it hard to test the handling and transmission response when driving aggressively. For those that were waiting and for those looking to trade (for a hybrid) for better fuel economy, your Optima Hybrid is here! The sales man I went on the drive with says he has SX and his overall mpg is in the low 20s, after driving in this one, he says he will have to talk to his wife about trading it. He loves the fact that it can get mid 30's for overall mpg and that it now drives like a normal car. Says he was waiting for the 2014 Optima but now wants the hybrid. Great job KIA!

#12 · (Edited)
Anybody notice when starting from a dead stop in ev mode if the gas engine still kicked in at around 20 mph or did it wait longer? Supposedly the battery is supposed to be improved. I know it is slightly smaller, but wonder what improvement means...faster charging? more capacity, meaning longer before it needs to recharged?
I suspect that mileage claims for the new model will be a little closer to reality since the fiasco last year with the claims being backed off and having to pay out cash.
Also wonder if the computer numbers will be closer to calculated mileage.
I want to drive one, but don't want to go through all the hassle with the sales pitch when I am not ready to trade up.

#13 · (Edited)
I test drove a 2013 today. The seats are a "major" improvement. As mentioned before the heated steering wheel switch is now next to the interior light dimmer. And the leather seats are a little different in their look. And you can tell be looking at the seats that they are more comfy. Other than that interior wise, nothing new.

Trunk is slightly deeper because of the new smaller battery.

It drove well and was slightly better off a dead stop than mine, no hesitation and a little more torque. Still kicked into the gas engine at about 20 mph.

Claims 35 mpg city and 39 highway with premium package (not the current name - ex I think). The claims on my 2011 were 29 and 40, which I never got. I doubt there has been that much improvement, but I could be wrong.

I had $7,000 in equity when I traded my FJ back in Sep 2011. Today I am in the hole $300.00 per the dealer. I owe $18,300 and they wanted to give me $18,000. Edmonds says $21,519.

I told them that they should be closer to $24,000, trying to give myself some room to haggle. They bumped it to $19,000.

They wanted $30,000 out the door including the employee pricing special and $1000 rebate for customer loyalty.

$2000 cash from me and 1.9% for 72 months at about $425.00 a month.

I figure I can buy a couple of 2013 seats and install them in my 2011 for a lot less, of course assuming they would fit.

As I am typing this, the phone rings and caller ID says it is the dealership. I answer and no one is there.

#14 · (Edited)
I test drove a 2013 today. The seats are a "major" improvement. As mentioned before the heated steering wheel switch is now next to the interior light dimmer. And the leather seats are a little different in their look. And you can tell be looking at the seats that they are more comfy. Other than that interior wise, nothing new.

It drove well and was slightly better off a dead stop than mine, no hesitation and a little more torque. Still kicked into the engine at about 20 mph.

I had $7,000 in equity when I traded my FJ back in Sep 2011. Today I am in the hole $300.00 per the dealer. I owe $18,300 and they wanted to give me $18,000. Edmonds says $21,519.

I told them that they should be closer to $24,000, trying to give myself some room to haggle. They bumped it to $19,000.

They wanted $30,000 out the door including the employee pricing special and $1000 rebate for customer loyalty and $2000 cash from me.
1.9% for 72 months at about $425.00 a month.

I figure I can buy a couple of 2013 seats and install them in my 2011 for a lot less, of course assuming they would fit.
What did they tell you employee pricing was? ..just curious. Sounds like they were trying to rip you off! Hyundai is giving a better deal on the 2013 Sonata Hybrids.

#16 ·
#17 ·
So 32k was the MSRP? Employee pricing is 3% or 5% below invoice. So invoice is probably 30K - 5%= $28000-$1000 customer loyalty= $27000. I think there's some type of special finance cash back as well.

#19 ·
Didn't have the quote in front of me before when posting. I do now.
Employee price: $30,735.00
Loyalty rebate: $1,500.00
Trade: $19,000 (I forgot I got them to bump the trade while I was there, but the original figure was $18,000)
Subtotal: $10,235.00
Trade Payoff: $18,326.00
Tax: $1138.30
Fees: $405.00
Due on Delivery: $30,104.30

Since the quote, I emailed him the Edmonds trade quote of $21,500.

He says he can get that for me. Why they just could not do that at the time I was there just pisses me off. So now the total would be somewhere around $27,604.00 not including adjustments for the tax.

I think this is a little more in line of where I want to be. Thoughts from anyone before I say yes?

#22 ·
Turns out that he could only get me $19,500 for the trade. $2000.00 apart. So they won't be any pictures unless you want some of my 2011. :D

#24 ·
Trying to work another dealer, but I don't think I'll get very far.

In the meantime I called the parts department to find out how much the leather seats cost. $2,000 a piece. Wow!!! Sounds like someone has already done this. Got to come in and look at the new vehicles to see what seat I would want and then grab the vin from that vehicle and they can go from there.

#25 ·
Whoa! That's a lot per seat! I know they are heated and cooled with the airbags inside but they are not that special. if you are thinking on dropping $4K on seats, why not use that money to get in a new 2013 which has the improvements built in? You get the better seats, the improved drivetrain with better driving feel and a more responsive EV mode and all the other changes that comes with the 2013. You like it well enough to start talking numbers, being $2k apart in price seems like it would be covered by what you are planing to outlay for a pair of seats. I'm missing some here, enlighten me.

#28 ·
You are way ahead of me. I haven't made a decision or seriously considering the seats at that price. Maybe one - mine!!! But then would have not only a mismatched rear seat along with the passenger seat. Unless they have the 2011 leather cover with the 2013 seats. Going to another dealer at lunch tomorrow. See what they will do with the trade, although they all use the same playbook so I am not expecting anything different. Just got to play the game and hope they blink.

#26 ·
Maybe they'll give you a call near the end of the month. I can see someone doing the seat thing and not trading their car in if they already put a lot of money and many mods on their car. I'm speaking from experience with the mods thing:p. I wouldn't mind trading mine in for the 13, but I've almost gotten it the way I want it to look and I don't want to go through it again.

#27 ·
I get that. I usually try to get it wih the stuff I want to avoid doing more than suspension or speaker upgrades. If I upgrade the wheels, I keep the old ones for a winter setup. Have to wait and see what he ends up doing. I like the seats in the Cadenza, really comfy and the drivers seat has a leg extension. Might be too wide to fit though.

#29 ·
the 2014's should be arriving late September/early October - you may get an even better deal then and have a chance to look at and drive the 2014's... I like most of the subtle changes except the rear brake lights; too Fusion-looking. I think the new drive train on the '13 should have been Kia's starting point - nothing like customer feedback and real world results! Let us know how it goes.

#30 ·
I will have to change my signature to 2013 SWP w/tan interior Hybrid, just don't have time at that moment.

29 miles on the odometer leaving the lot. Reset the computer and by the time I got home driving back streets the computer showed 36 mpg. On my 2011, all broken in, would be about 30 mpg. I hope that is good indicator. Kept my weather tech mats and rain guards. Will be going back in tomorrow to swap the wheels and tires.

Just need to redo the tint now.

I'll come back later with pictures and pricing, although there isn't anything new to photograph expect for the comfortable seats, the heated steering wheel switch placement, the steering wheel covering and the folding mirrors.

By the way I blame everyone in this thread, except myself, for doing the deal. You are all so evil. :lol: Good thing I am single.

I am tired and rambling.

#33 · (Edited)
Finally got everything back in place. It all feels so familiar, except for the comfy seat. My ass thanks me.

Didn't notice the car being any lower and that is probably because the seat itself is higher due to the padding.

Seems to ride quieter, can tell by how high I have to turn the volume up on the stereo. Usually run it about 10 and now 8 is enough.

MPG on the computer seems to be holding its own. Around 34 - 35 around town. But it is really to early to tell for sure.

Also already have 3 eco points in 45 miles - 1 point every 15 miles. I sold my 2011 with 18744 miles and 480 eco points - 1 eco point every 39 miles.

Battery seems to charge a little faster. EV still kicks in just above 20 mph. But seems to stay on longer once running. It is also warmer now, so I have to take that into account.

Next step is doing tint. And thinking about door edge guards as well as body side molding and clear bra.

Also 3 eco points in 45 miles - 1 point every 15 miles. Sold my 2011 with 18744 miles and 480 eco points - 1 point every 39 miles.

Crossing my fingers

#34 ·
I have to go do a check again on the ride height, it did seem like the gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well was less on the new car and when I was driving, the lean in corners was not as pronounced. I saw a video review on the 2013 Sonata Hybrid and the ride height was lower than the 2012. It did seem to me that the noise from the engine compartment was a bit less so that may be due to some more insulation or they might have added some padding under the plastic cover to lessen the noise from the engine. Keep us posted with your experience with this new ride.

#35 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of negotiations for a 2014 SWP/Black Nappa leather Cadenza with Luxury package.

If they act right I'll be driving one by Saturday evening. If not I'll be rolling in my Hybrid.:)

Price as it stands now is $34501 before TTL and dealer fees. MSRP is $38955.
$1000 loyalty bonus, plus $10,000 cash along with $10,00 trade in value = $21,000 down payment.
Will let you guys know how it goes. If I don't get what I want for my hybrid there will be no deal.
I blame you remltr!;)

#37 ·
Hey - what did I do???

Really good luck. If it hadn't been for the expected mpg on the Cadenza, I would be driving one right now. They are a beautiful looking car, even if they do look a lot like an Optima. They just have some nicer touches to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.