Broken front camera. Has anybody replaced it yet?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken front camera. Has anybody replaced it yet?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL

Broken front camera. Has anybody replaced it yet?

Yes, first rock 'chip' hits the freaking camera. Called dealer and said bumper has to come off. Haven't had a single good experience with that, mainly due to pesky tabs that readily break, so not planning to replace it if that's the case. At least not now. Also wanted to install fiberglass screening to protect the radiators, which would also require bumper removal. Unless somebody else has already done that, and can attest to doing it with zero damage, will leave as is. Also curious as the camera replacement cost. Need to look for Kia discount parts. Had to pay full price for the trunk rubber mat, mud guards, a few oil filters, etc. when I bought the car. But pricier parts like the camera need to be bought at a discount. Thanks gang.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    Front Camera....lists for....wait for it....$667.70 haha. There are 18 units in the US, so replacements are out there

That is per my VIN (16 SXL). Shoot me a PM.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Holy crap! Really? Then forget it. I polished it really well yesterday, and it's much better now. It cracked vertically in the middle, and was able to polish out the rest of the damage, so only have a vertical blnd spot a little offset from the middle. Maybe 10% at the most. Perfectly usable. And if my first rock chip hit the freaking camera, I don't think it was the last time. Ha ha. My other cars have front sensors, not a camera. It only makes sense in a tall pickup, like the F150 Platinums. So will leave it alone. But thanks for your help brother.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    Is there a glass piece that is used as a cover, and doesn't actually function as a curved lens to actually focus light? My cell phone is like this, where the lens is a tiny little dark round bump, which is then protected by a large flat circular disk of glass suspended away from the actual lens.

maybe you can just find another lens cover glass piece of the same size, and replace? It wouldn't even need to be the same size, and you can use double-sided auto adhesive tape (cut into a ring shape) to secure the new one. Assuming your front camera is like that.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    SX
    Trim
    Limited
    I just replaced a customers front camera and a side view camera last month due to a crack in the lens. It was covered under warranty and the cameras were 700 each.

The front bumper does have to come off but the job for the front camera took me start to finish about a half hour. Bumper comes off remarkably easily

8. The Following User Says Kudos to snowwhitesxl13 For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitesxl13 View Post
    Bumper comes off remarkably easily
    The camera has 2 little holes opposite each other. May I ask you if you just removed the camera with some kind of tool, or did you remove the assembly from the grille? And now that KingFatty mentioned replacing just the lens, and you mentioned it was covered under waranty, I looked closer this time, and I don't see any obvious rock hit. No signs of impact; just the lens cracked. So maybe I can try to get it covered under warranty. And all bugs on my bumper are small. I noticed it's the same identical camera at the back and mirrors. Maybe it's not beefy enough to be a front camera. Will call dealer and see what they say for a future replacement, but I'd prefer to remove the bumper myself and just get the camera replaced. Doubt they'd go with that, so will wait until I have to take the car in for something, then think about it. I'm not the kind who stereotypes, but 100% of my dealer experiences have ended badly, and that includes almost all luxury brands, so don't want to continue being a guinea pig. If it gets worse, or something else requires taking the car in, then I'd reconsider after talking to the service department and see how I feel about their knowledge and care. Thanks again for your help folks.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    SX
    Trim
    Limited
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitesxl13 View Post
    Bumper comes off remarkably easily
    The camera has 2 little holes opposite each other. May I ask you if you just removed the camera with some kind of tool, or did you remove the assembly from the grille? And now that KingFatty mentioned replacing just the lens, and you mentioned it was covered under waranty, I looked closer this time, and I don't see any obvious rock hit. No signs of impact; just the lens cracked. So maybe I can try to get it covered under warranty. And all bugs on my bumper are small. I noticed it's the same identical camera at the back and mirrors. Maybe it's not beefy enough to be a front camera. Will call dealer and see what they say for a future replacement, but I'd prefer to remove the bumper myself and just get the camera replaced. Doubt they'd go with that, so will wait until I have to take the car in for something, then think about it. I'm not the kind who stereotypes, but 100% of my dealer experiences have ended badly, and that includes almost all luxury brands, so don't want to continue being a guinea pig. If it gets worse, or something else requires taking the car in, then I'd reconsider after talking to the service department and see how I feel about their knowledge and care. Thanks again for your help folks.
    The bumper does need to come off, the camera is screwed in from the back. The harness runs along the cover and is surprisingly long. Like i said this customers i just did had a fine hairline crack so maybe it's going to be a common issue and you'll get it covered under warranty.

Learner's Permit
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000UZJ View Post
    Front Camera....lists for....wait for it....$667.70 haha. There are 18 units in the US, so replacements are out there That is per my VIN (16 SXL). Shoot me a PM.
    2000UZJ, You're Plant connected, right? I'd have expected (Maybe) $167.70 - WHAT is the justification for such a charge? - AND - there a multiple cameras at this Replacement Cost PLUS Labor!!!! Any idea what "Type" cameras they are ... LCD is a bad example - AND - LIFE EXPECTANCY? It may be impossible to keep these cars beyond warranty with these Repair Cost Possibilities. VERY DEPRESSING..... THANKS 2000UZJ for the REPLY BELOW !!
    Last edited by COS-16SXL; 04-21-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    '16 Optima SXL Snow White Pearl - Aubergine Nappa
    Built 12/14/15 -- Bought 12/23/15
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 ... 235/45R18
    HuskyLiners Floor-Trunk

Diapers, Politicians, & the Media All Need Changing for the Same Reason

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    The camera is integrated into a mount as well as the entire harness. It's all proprietary so that's the main reason why it's $$$. It all boils down to a Sony CCD processor and a 170* fish eye lens. Nothing special about it, just a small part that costs an arm and a leg. I'm sure the lens is replaceable, however that information is not published on the lens. As long as the camera housing stays intact with no intrusion I don't see why the camera would fail under normal use, it's a very low-tech/proven design internally.

Quote Originally Posted by COS-16SXL View Post
    2000UZJ, You're Plant connected, right?

I'd have expected (Maybe) $167.70 -

WHAT is the justification for such a charge? - AND - there a multiple cameras at this Replacement Cost PLUS Labor!!!!

Any idea what "Type" cameras they are ... LCD is a bad example - AND - LIFE EXPECTANCY?

It may be impossible to keep these cars beyond warranty with these Repair Cost Possibilities. VERY DEPRESSING.....

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Hey folks, a new question: has anybody tried to unscrew what looks like the camera? Maybe it's just the lens. I may try to make a tool out of a paper clip or something to give it a try if it gets worse. If it's just the lens, the good news is all 4 cameras look exactly the same (but with different mounts, obviously), but the bad news is any junk yard would only sell the entire camera. We'd have to find out a source for just the lenses, because 2000UZJ is correct; only the lens cracked. The camera works perfectly fine. And at least now, the obscured field of view is so slim I won't do anything now. Called dealer and said I'd have to bring the car in so they can tell me if it'd be covered or not (typical). I repeatedly told useless advisor it has zero evidence of any hits, and like a freaking robot: bring the car in. Also asked them if SXLs come with 'SX light' or 'SX standard' steering effort programming, and of course neither the guy nor the tech ever heard of that before. That's why I think three times before taking any car to a dealer for anything.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast