Broken front camera. Has anybody replaced it yet? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken front camera. Has anybody replaced it yet?

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    If you entirely removed the "lens" part that is cracked, would the image still be in focus? If so, then the cracked part is not a lens, but just a transparent dust cover or protector, and is not critical to focusing the image, so you can just remove it and replace it with anything transparent (and use silicone or adhesive to seal it up and keep the dirt/moisture out).

Look, here is what you can get for under $14 on ebay! Just might be worth the risk - if it doesn't work, then you wasted only $14 and can then proceed to spend the $700 or whatever to replace the entire camera:

Universal 8in1 Clip On Camera Lens Kit Fisheye +Wide Angle +Macro for Cell Phone | eBay

So you would just find which of those little circular covers is the closest match and use it to replace your cracked one. Normally I'd say replace your entire camera, but the price is, well, seems like an injustice against humanity to charge that much for a simple camera.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    You'll need to find the specs on the OE lens before trying to replace the lens. There are a lot of factors with optics that are unknown with that lens. Majority of these cameras have threaded housings making the lens replaceable, a few are molded into the case or glued

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    The first thing we need to do here, to stop speculation, is to unscrew and remove whatever is threaded on the camera base. There're 2 squared holes 180º apart (take a look at any of your cameras -all are the same), and you'll see what I'm talking about. Maybe the whole camera comes out. If that's the case, no fix possible. But if only the little cover comes out, and the camera still works, then it'd be possible to just change that little part, and keep looking into this. Anybody can try that. I first need to find a suitable made-up tool as not to screw anything up. I'll also try a pair of pliers I have to remove circlips; maybe I can use those to try to unscrew that part (whatever it is).
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12