Noisy Sunroof Anyone?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Sunroof Anyone?

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L

Noisy Sunroof Anyone?

I know there are quite a bit of posts about the panoramic sunroof, but I am having the dealer take a lot ok at it tomorrow. Every morning for the last two weeks I am greeted with a rather loud creaking sound when I hit the dip at the end of my driveway; going into the street straight or on an angle. My 13 EX and 14 SX-T were quiet for the most part.
    The sound seems to be coming from the area of the rear passenger window to the rear window. I can duplicate this sound because if the car is sitting outside in warm weather the noise if I press in the right area can be heard.
    The advisor at the dealership pretty much told me to live with the noise since it is only when I go down the driveway; whatever dough boy. It seems that working on the sunroof is a pain and it seems to scare them a bit. I have made a few videos of me in the car to document the sound and tomorrow I will drive down the driveway with the sunroof open to see if the sound is there or not.
    Don't want to be that person that says just turn up the radio to drown out the sound, .and return your leased vehicle in three years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    Good luck with getting that taken care of. Have a rear deck rattle on my 2016. Dealer said spare tire fastener was loose. LOL. I believe rattles and such are covered up to 12k.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    Thank you, and it seems I will need luck. You think after buying two cars from them that they would be a bit nicer, and also
    I heard these noises on day two, but no such luck.
    1year/12k is the warranty for noises/rattles. The advisor was like I can guarantee you that if we remove the sunroof and install it there will be more rattles and noises to follow; maybe have to roll the dice on that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    As covered in the other posts you mentioned, they need to drop the headliner and tighten the six bolts that secure the roof assembly. Happened to my 13.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 04-14-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    2015 SWP/Black EX Premium with 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    255/40R19 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
    Gone at 92k - 2013 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    235/40-19 Michelin Primacy MXM4.
    Gone at 68k - 2011 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    225/40-19 Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    I agree with you, but these guys are afraid to mess with the sunroof in general; not going to live with this especially only having the car 15 days.
    Last edited by glen1023; 04-14-2017 at 06:52 PM.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Then you will have to live with the creaking (and it will probably get worse). My dealer wasn't into doing it at first on my 13 because they had never done it before (and they probably didn't believe me). They looked into it and called me back later that day to schedule an appointment. Dropped the car off one day before work and picked it up later that afternoon.

My 13 was really loud within a few thousand miles. Once fixed I could hear just a faint noise here and there on some turns into uneven parking lots or drives. My 15 is the same. I don't recall any noise on my 11 but it might have been there. If you noise is faint, I wouldn't do anything unless it gets worse. If it's sounds terrible already, I would press the issue.
    2015 SWP/Black EX Premium with 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    255/40R19 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.
    Gone at 92k - 2013 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Megan EZ Street coilovers, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    235/40-19 Michelin Primacy MXM4.
    Gone at 68k - 2011 SWP/Gray EX Premium with Eibach springs, 19x8.5" ET40 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels and
    225/40-19 Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    Brought the car into the dealer today and it seems like quite a mess that they have to do to get to the bolts and tighten them. I was told taking down the headliner, breaking off clips, moving the side curtain airbags and a few other things that should like once they put the car back together I may just have other noises then to contend with. I don't recall seeing on the sticker price "free of charge, creaking sound from the sunroof on a brand new car." I am not really down with what they have to do with the interior of a brand new car.
    As you say, it may get worse, and since my lease is a three year one, I am not looking to be in that car and listening to that crap for that long.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T
    This is always a problem with sunroof cars, especially the large ones we have. Had the same problem years ago in my eclipse. Mine creeks a lot now after 2 years driving in NYC and I know it cannot be fixed. Just play the music louder, that's all you can do really.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    FWIW: My '12 has some creaks and whatnot but it is really not that bad. My wife's '14 Rogue has the large pano sunroof and has basically the same issue and we've owned it for almost three years now. I think it really is just the way pano roofs in general are. IDK.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 60K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima KOH
    Trim
    EX
    I never really opened my sunroof more than a couple of times... I don't have any noise on my KOH '13.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast