Adaptive Cruise Control Question - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Control Question

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    SX
    Trim
    Limited
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    I always know way more than any service or salesman after researching a car just for a day. And after owning it for a few weeks, way more. Was told ACC didn't stop on the 2016, and it does. In fact, you can actually activate it while stopped, which is great when you get caught up in traffic. Works really good.
    Not true. Yes they stop but some do not stop altogether, there's smart cruise control and adaptive cruise control. Two different systems. The ones that come to a conplete stop need to have an electric parking brake.

I recently came across an lx optima with the scc and electric parking brake which i didn't know came in an lx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitesxl13 View Post
    Not true. Yes they stop but some do not stop altogether, there's smart cruise control and adaptive cruise control.
    We were talking about the SX-L, and IT DOES STOP, so it's true. Interesting that there're 2 different systems, but salesmen need to learn about that if they want to be successful. I definitely would. Otherwise you're just another among a sea of salesmen.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    If the vehicle senses another vehicle it will bring it to a complete stop based off the tracking vehicle's speed (IE - car in front of you slows to a stop). You must have two vehicles on your instrument panel showing the SCC is tracking the speed of the vehicle in front of you.

If you activate SCC with no vehicle in front of you and you only have one vehicle (yours) on the distance meter, and you do not manually depress the brake pedal to slow down, the system will activate the autonomous braking system to avoid a collision. It cannot bring a stopped object into radar view and calculate proper stopping distance under SCC. If you come up to a vehicle that is already stopped (at a stop light), it will prioritize that as a class 1 threat to occupant safety and not a vehicle, thus emergency braking.

Does that make sense?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    If you activate ACC, car in front or not, the car will apply the brakes (I didn't say stop) if it senses another vehicle in front. Even with emergency braking deactivated (like in my case). I tried it on a street, at slower speeds, with the range in 2. Activated ACC at the front of the stop light (automatically chooses 20 mph), car took off without any traffic in front, then switched to the left-turn lane where a car was stopped in front, and my car stopped. It's like if somebody on a freeway slams on the brakes. Granted; if you're going 60, and rely on ACC to stop for you with only 2 bars (out of 4), with a car stopped in front, good luck. Bottom line is automatic braking works when you do not have ACC activated. And ACC will stop (or try to stop) the car (at least on SXLs) under any condition. But like it was mentioned, if you're not following anybody, I wouldn't rely on ACC to stop my vehicle. It will try for sure, and maybe it does, but I won't try to find out at higher speeds. He he. By the way, when I use ACC, I always have it at 4 bars, for a safer braking distance.
    Last edited by elp_jc; 04-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, tinted windows (35%).

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12